Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Re: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 03:40:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Marco [+]
I can't see the sense in paying for a remote preload adjuster unless you carry a passenger regularly.
I didn't notice that anyone was discussing remote preload adjustment, before you mentioned it, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. 😁
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 04:12:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Marco [+]
I can't see the sense in paying for a remote preload adjuster unless you carry a passenger regularly.   The NTR1 came set up perfectly for me.  I initially thought it was a bit under damped and went up 2 clicks on the damping. 3 or 4 tail end slides convinced me I was wrong.

Are you confusing the compression reservoir with a hydraulic preload adjuster?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 04:14:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I didn't notice that anyone was discussing remote preload adjustment, before you mentioned it, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. 😁

Nor me. Great if you regularly change what load the bike is carrying, otherwise its just set and forget. I dont carry luggage apart from a small tank bag for work and I never carry a pillion, so it would be pointless for me. They do offer one though, for an additional 179!
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:57:04 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Are you confusing the compression reservoir with a hydraulic preload adjuster?
Could be.   On holiday  and sh#t faced.
Z1000.  I had a 900 so you'll never get rid of me. NEVER!

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 10:38:39 PM
Heh, I think we're all talking about different things. I was referring to the ride height adjuster, AKA piston shaft length adjuster. It's a screw and locknut on the piston shaft near the shock mount. Nitron has one standard, Wilbers doesn't.

As for remote reservoir - the advantage is in heat dissipation and reduced body length (or additional oil volume) compared with a DeCarbon unit (such as NTR R1). The hose provides a circuit for compression damping bleed valve adjustment as an added bonus. Less damping fade on track and offroad, AFAIK.
Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:54:03 PM by KellyL

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 05:19:33 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
Heh, I think we're all talking about different things. I was referring to the ride height adjuster, AKA piston shaft length adjuster. It's a screw and locknut on the piston shaft near the shock mount. Nitron has one standard, Wilbers doesn't.

As for remote reservoir - the advantage is in heat dissipation and reduced body length (or additional oil volume) compared with a DeCarbon unit (such as NTR R1). The hose provides a circuit for compression damping bleed valve adjustment as an added bonus. Less damping fade on track and offroad, AFAIK.

Lol, yeah I think crossed wires. The Wilbers has the option to add the shaft length adjuster for an extra 62 if you want it. I have no need to mess about with the geometry of the bike, so I wont bother. Also has the option to add a hydraulic preload adjuster, should you so wish and they sell brackets to raise or lower the suspension too if you want that. I am curious of one thing though. I can understand why some people would want to lower the suspension, if theyre short for example, but why would you want to raise it? Im not talking about the piston length adjuster here, Im talking about the permanent raising kit. The website makes mention of the rider being too tall or the bike scraping pegs too early. Im 6 6 and Ive not found that the pegs touch down before Id expect them too, so Id say the bike is fine when it comes to height. Surely that would also change the handling characteristics too?

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 08:28:33 AM
why would you want to raise it? Im not talking about the piston length adjuster here, Im talking about the permanent raising kit.

I guess it's an option for tuning the rake and trail of the front end, although the quoted additional 15-30mm is very radical.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:49 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
I guess it's an option for tuning the rake and trail of the front end, although the quoted additional 15-30mm is very radical.

Thats what I mean, surely that kind of a raise is going to have a big effect on the handling of this bike! Personally I think this bike handles great as it is. Sure, having the suspension upgraded to suit your weight and give you more adjustability is one thing, but I wouldnt want to change the characteristics of it.

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 01:43:33 PM
Nitron is more expensive for the equal shock (NTR2) and the price between this and the K Tech is about the same. Ironically enough, my local suspension guy recommended Wilbers. Not worried about height adjustment that K Tech offers, but I dont like the red - yes Im a tart lol.

Looking at the picture, the equivalent Nitron would be the NT3.   The NTR2 only has high speed compression damping adjustment.  The Wilbers in the photo (which I'm assuming is the 641) has both high and low speed compression damping adjustment, same as the NT3.

Height adjustment is available as an additional option for the Nitron 641.

For what its worth my bike is not a Z900, and runs dual piggyback shocks.  I have a set of both Nitron and Wilbers top of their line dual piggybacks (both with high/low speed compression damping adjustment).  I consider the Wilbers to be way better shocks from a quality perspective.  The adjusters on the Nirons have a cheap plastic feel, and work accordingly.  The tiny slow speed compression adjuster knob in the middle of the high speed adjuster is near impossible to turn and hurts your fingers just trying.  In contrast the Wibers adjusters turn like a well engineer Swiss (ok German) clock. 

For what its worth, I wouldn't buy any shock that didn't have independent high speed and low speed compression damping adjustment.  Adjusting the rebound alters the slow speed compression damping characteristics of a shock (oil can flow both ways through the bleed adjuster).  Without the ability to independently adjust slow speed compression you just have to live with whatever it is when rebound is set.
Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:57:19 PM by JohnCW

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 05:37:01 PM
Hey John, thanks for the input. Youre not the first person to say that about the Nitron stuff. Ive got a mate who races in a league up and down the country and when I said about Nitron to him, he said to stay away and go for hlins or another big name. Also, theres a suspension guy with a shop just up the road from me with a really good reputation. When I spoke to him and said about Nitron, he said that he tends to shy away from them and prefers hlins and Wilbers.

Yes its the 641, they offer height adjustment as an option for an extra 62 as well as a 20mm riser kit, and a 20 or 40mm lowering kit, though the height adjustment isnt compatible with the lowering kit. Also theres a hydraulic preload adjuster that you can add, but Ive got no use for that as its only me that rides the bike and I never carry a pillion or luggage except a tank bag every day for work and Ive taken the weight of that into account.

For me, just the shock as it is will be fine. Ive got no use for height adjustment, riser kits or hydraulic preload adjusters. I just want the adjustability for rebound, low and high speed comp and preload, all in a smart looking shock and the standard 641 ticks those boxes for the right price.

What bike are you running twin piggybacks on?