Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.  (Read 1967 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]
You made the right decision getting the length adjustment option.  Might not want to use it at the moment but possibly in the future, and its not viable to retrofit later.

Thought itd be worth it. When I was looking at it before, I didnt really think Id want to play with the geometry, but the decision was more about height than handling characteristics. I dont get right out to the edge of the tyres, but I get fairly close and its easy enough to scrape the pegs. Id rather they didnt touch down, even if the bike is right over, so adding a little bit of height should prevent that.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Just a follow up as its getting close to the time when the new shock will arrive so thought Id get on and order the new nuts for when I mount it to the bike. Ive attached the picture from the parts website, it is just the 2 nuts I need to replace isnt it? Im guessing it is as I wont be removing the wishbone etc. As far as I can see, I just need 2x 92210.

: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
...,.it is just the 2 nuts I need to replace isnt it?

Correct.
 Don't get too worried about it.
 I re-used the old ones until I was satisfied I wouldn't be removing the new shock for any reason. I checked the torque regularly and they stayed tight.
 It turned out to be the right decision as I sent the M-Shock back. I have the new nuts fitted now.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 07:38:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Correct.
 Don't get too worried about it.
 I re-used the old ones until I was satisfied I wouldn't be removing the new shock for any reason. I checked the torque regularly and they stayed tight.
 It turned out to be the right decision as I sent the M-Shock back. I have the new nuts fitted now.

Fair enough. How did you support the bike to change the shock? Im thinking about using the paddock stand to get the wheel off the ground, then running a bar through the tube part of the frame by the footpegs, then lowering it off the paddock stand so that the bar sits on some axle stands.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »
Fair enough. How did you support the bike to change the shock? Im thinking about using the paddock stand to get the wheel off the ground, then running a bar through the tube part of the frame by the footpegs, then lowering it off the paddock stand so that the bar sits on some axle stands.

I have an Abba stand. Bought it used off eBay.
 Your plan will work.
 It's not a difficult job, a little fiddly getting the top nut on. A dollop of grease to hold the nut in place in the ring spanner helps. You need to get that top nut in place before inserting the lower bolt.
 Have fun.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I have an Abba stand. Bought it used off eBay.
 Your plan will work.
 It's not a difficult job, a little fiddly getting the top nut on. A dollop of grease to hold the nut in place in the ring spanner helps. You need to get that top nut in place before inserting the lower bolt.
 Have fun.

:028:

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
Yep, Abba stand did the trick for me as well. Like what Cazzy_R said, the top nut is the annoying one. I used a plain spanner and took my time, with a few rags over the frame to prevent scratching. I reused the nuts as well because I haven't got around to ordering new ones, and so far they haven't moved.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
An abba stand is on my list, but the irony is that while it would be a great help for jobs like this, its not as high of a priority as certain things - like suspension lol.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
Im thinking about using the paddock stand to get the wheel off the ground, then running a bar through the tube part of the frame by the footpegs, then lowering it off the paddock stand so that the bar sits on some axle stands.

If this is what you have then this will  works perfectly  :028: