Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.  (Read 5779 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Fully adjustable Wilbers shock.
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2019, 06:44:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
I have 600lb/in (10.7kg/mm) spring for a specified rider load of 95-100kg. About 5-10mm free sag and 40mm rider sag. Preload more or less unchanged from Nitron's out of the box setting.

FYI

600lb/in = 105N/mm so my spring was only just heavier than yours for an intended load of 127 kg. Definitely the wrong spring then. As above, a friend of mine has got a Z800 with a Nitron NTR2 that came fitted with a 120N/mm spring. Hes about the same height and weight as me and like you, his sag setting were pretty much spot on straight out of the box.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2019, 12:03:14 AM »
I don't know why I have not been reading the suspension section lately, I didn't think much was going on in here, I love suspension chat.
Sad that they gave you the wrong spring, but it will be all good when you have it sorted. Does it really have to go back to them to change the spring? That's a bugger.
I read all the posts here and you got lots of good info to work with so you should be fine.
On your first ride when you noticed the bike didn't squat down under acceleration, just so you know, that is because your rear ride height was better, less sag, which got your swing arm angle back to a better angle, giving you more anti squat effect. All that you can play with later with your ride height adjuster that I am glad you got in the end.
I have my bike at 40mm front and rear rider sag at the moment, with 1 turn up on ride height adjuster, which is 4mm increase in height on K-tech shock, and it is brilliant, antisquat seems perfect and steering tip in, stability everything is very good.
Have fun.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2019, 12:17:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
I don't know why I have not been reading the suspension section lately, I didn't think much was going on in here, I love suspension chat.
Sad that they gave you the wrong spring, but it will be all good when you have it sorted. Does it really have to go back to them to change the spring? That's a bugger.
I read all the posts here and you got lots of good info to work with so you should be fine.
On your first ride when you noticed the bike didn't squat down under acceleration, just so you know, that is because your rear ride height was better, less sag, which got your swing arm angle back to a better angle, giving you more anti squat effect. All that you can play with later with your ride height adjuster that I am glad you got in the end.
I have my bike at 40mm front and rear rider sag at the moment, with 1 turn up on ride height adjuster, which is 4mm increase in height on K-tech shock, and it is brilliant, antisquat seems perfect and steering tip in, stability everything is very good.
Have fun.

The shock doesnt have to go back to the manufacturer, but it does have to go back to the supplier. I can send it, which will cost a fortune because of the weight/size of it and will take well over a week turnaround, or ironically, the cost of the fuel is about the same for the 1 hour 45 minute drive each way drive. Spoke to them yesterday and the new spring should be in early next week, so once its in Im going to arrange a day with them, drive there with the shock, have the spring changed and drive home again to re-fit it to the bike. Luckily or unluckily (depending on your perspective) this is the end of my second week off work and Im still signed off for next week (maybe longer yet) so I havent been using the bike and Ill have the time to run up to the supplier and back. Hoping the 120 N/mm spring will do the trick and I can get the correct sag numbers. Cant see that Id need a heavier spring than that. Even the guy at the shop said that a 130 would be too heavy. Stupid thing is that he had a 130 in stock but not a 120.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2019, 01:43:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Stupid thing is that he had a 130 in stock but not a 120.
130 sounds perfect for the guy having trouble with his headlight when his wife is sitting on the pillion mouse pad.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
130 sounds perfect for the guy having trouble with his headlight when his wife is sitting on the pillion mouse pad.

Lol, I particularly laughed at the suggestion of trading in for a skinny 18 year old model :745:

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
Trouble is, if you hang on to em for too long, ya get bugger all for em as a trade in, just stick her out in the shed as a spare incase the new one breaks down or something.
 :155:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
Well the new spring is fitted and the shock is back on the bike. Got the guy at the shop to add 10mm of preload to the spring as thats what it came with when the lighter spring was fitted. Cant set up sag til later, but took a quick measurement when I fitted it back on the bike and the current static sag is 4mm, so looks like Ill have to take some preload out of the spring, providing its the right weight this time. Fingers crossed!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »
Ok, scratch the last comment. So a question for those in the know. The spring options went in 10s, i.e. the spring it was provided with to start with was 110N/mm, which I had replaced with a 120N/mm spring. The next option up would be 130N/mm.

So, Ive checked the sag settings this evening and it started out with 56mm of rider sag, and 4mm of static. Ive adjusted the rider sag to 40mm, which is where I wanted it to be be and the static sag is still 4mm. How is that possible? Dont get me wrong, Im happy enough with those numbers, though I would have preferred a little more static, but just seems odd that the static number didnt change. Could it be to do with the stiffness of the spring? What I mean is, do you think that the stiffness of the spring wont allow more than 4mm of static as the bike doesnt weigh enough to compress it any further than that?

Given that the next spring rate up is quite heavy, Im thinking that the current spring is probably the one to stick with, just trying to understand the above.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
RZ9, I cannot explain why the free sag/bike sag stayed at 4mm, is anything binding? does the bike move up and down nice and free/smooth, nothing sticking?
Your sag numbers sound OK to me and means your spring is on the softer side of the range, but in the range so its fine, to try and explain and I am not very good at that,
You have 4mm free sag and 40mm rider sag (softer spring) now say you had 20mm free sag and 40mm rider sag (harder spring} the spring is compressing less on the second example so its harder.
Hope that makes sense.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2019, 10:14:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
RZ9, I cannot explain why the free sag/bike sag stayed at 4mm, is anything binding? does the bike move up and down nice and free/smooth, nothing sticking?
Your sag numbers sound OK to me and means your spring is on the softer side of the range, but in the range so its fine, to try and explain and I am not very good at that,
You have 4mm free sag and 40mm rider sag (softer spring) now say you had 20mm free sag and 40mm rider sag (harder spring} the spring is compressing less on the second example so its harder.
Hope that makes sense.

No, nothing is binding. Suspension is moving nicely, and bouncing evenly between front and rear. Currently, the forks have got 15mm static and 35mm rider, so thats pretty much where Id want it to be. As for the shock, I wanted to achieve 40mm rider sag while still retaining some static sag, which I have, just would have preferred more static on the back.

With regards to your explanation, I understand that the spring is compressing less to achieve the correct rider sag, Im just concerned that going up to the next spring rate would be a bit on the harsh side. Id rather the ride be a little bit more plush than firm and if the numbers are pretty much where they should be now, Im sure the next spring rate up would be pretty firm.