Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Maintaining visibility whilst in the pouring rain?  (Read 436 times)

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Maintaining visibility whilst in the pouring rain?
« on: July 13, 2019, 04:43:20 AM »
It's currently rainy winter weather here in Victoria, Australia. I've had to do several rides out from Melbourne to some regional towns, and it's been continuously pouring down on a few of these 3+ hour rides. Usually my visor has completely clagged up with moisture and condensation in the first half hour or so. I'm talking about times when it's so wet that you can't do anything to stop water getting inside the helmet.

I have tried Pinlocks - these help for about 15 minutes, but they actually make things worse once they are saturated. They also scratch at the merest hint of being wiped down. I have also tried Rain-X and Mr Sheen (household silicone spray) and I found that the amount needed for hydrophobic effect will generally be cloudy/blurry.

Any other tips would be welcome! I've been a rider for over 20 years and have yet to find a satisfactory solution beyond stopping every 30 min to wipe the helmet down. Perhaps the UK members could offer some hard-earned wet weather tricks?

Edit: and yes I have googled this and tried car wax, saliva, ski goggle stuff, and face mask (which makes it worse for me). One dude on ADV claimed a breathing snorkel was the only solution for him.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:52:50 AM by KellyL »

Offline zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Maintaining visibility whilst in the pouring rain?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
What I find helps is to use regular dish washing liquid to wash the shield inside (and outside). This super cleans the shield. The fog accumulates around impurities on the shield and fogs up.
When at a stop it'll fog a little but immediately clears as soon as you're moving and get some airflow.
This works in cold dry weather at least, I'm not sure how well in the rain as you describe though. It's worth a try.

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »
Hi, you are right, we do Get plenty of rain in the UK! the pinlocs that came with my HJC IS17s do not fog up. Same for the pinloc I bought for my Flip front HJC. PInlocs can lose their anti fog over time  but should not scratch. I just give them the gentlest c!ean with a microfi bre cloth. Don't use fast food serviettes when stopping for a mid ride break to clean the visor as these are made from wood pulp and will put fine sc ratches on the visor. That sorts out the inside, for the outside i have Bob Heath visor wipe blades that slip over your glove index finger. Hope that helps. ( I do 10000 miles per annum in UK commuting, advanced observing & European touring. )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:39:53 PM by Bentham »

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 07:21:28 AM »
Thanks all for your input - I'll give the visor a good clean and wipedown with isopropyl alcohol after a soapy water clean, and slap on a new Pinlock (it's a Shoei Neotec) and have another try. The problem I find with Pinlock is that it works really well up until a point where it gets saturated, and then starts to swell up and distort. Water actually sticks to it beyond that point, and it's like trying to look through a water sculpture.

I'll check out the Bob Heath wipe thing - I haven't seen them around in AU, but perhaps I could order one online or look for something similar locally.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 07:34:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
....it's a Shoei Neotec...

I don't have any experience of modular helmets. There is surely much more potential for water to get inside than with a conventional full face.
 Do you get the same problem with other helmets?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:38:03 AM by Cazzy_R »
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I don't have any experience of modular helmets. There is surely much more potential for water to get inside than with a conventional full face.
 Do you get the same problem with other helmets?
My other helmet is a Bell 500 open face  :190:

Offline Warmweather-Rider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Kawasaki Z900, 2019
  • Town / City: Alabama 47
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
It sounds like you might need to invest in a new full face helmet.  Maybe someone on here can suggest a helmet that is the best for your wet situation that will help you better than the ones you have.  I hope to get a 1200 shoei one day but they are very expensive.  I wear a fulmer and it keeps the rain out but does fog up. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:25:15 AM by Warmweather-Rider »
Alabama 47

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Heres the visor wipe that goes onto your glove finger, its an old solution but a real game changer!

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
I've used Pro Honda cleaner & polish on my helmets for years- it's like wax in a can, water beads off the shield, turn your head some and away it goes.
Works great on the bikes for any road grime, bugs, chain lube fling.
Good stuff  :028:

https://www.motosport.com/pro-honda-spray-cleaner-and-polish?variant[PHO000O]=PHO000O-X001-Y001
"The ride is the reason"

Offline Marco

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 Performance Ed
  • Town / City: Carrickfergus
Z900 Performance Edition  Akrapovic ASZT can Delkevic headers  Bar end mirrors  High seat  R&G rad guard   R&G tail tidy  Chinese levers Hyperpro fork spring kit.  Supersprox Stealth rear sprocket.  Nitron NTR1 shock absorber.