Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Scorpion EXhausts

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Toll Booth Transponder?  (Read 472 times)

Offline numburCycle

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Toll Booth Transponder?
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »
Has anyone mounted a toll booth transponder somewhere discrete on the Z900? (edit: not that it should matter, but specifically I'm looking at an EZPass transponder)

It looks like there's plenty of room behind the "windshield", but not sure exactly how I would secure it (and only 98% confident the signal would pick up through the plastic)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:24:57 AM by numburCycle »

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Re: Toll Booth Transponder?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 01:10:50 AM »
I have a Florida unit (good for Georgia also) mounted in my truck on the inside of my windshield; it should work mounted under the flyscreen.

What are the dimensions?  3M makes a thin gel tape (its sold by the roll) and it works great and releases clean when you want to remove it.  Ive used it to mount sensitive piezo gyros in RC helicopters and it works great.  You could also use Velcro.

Sarge

Offline numburCycle

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:32:33 AM »
The official mounting mechanism is adhesive + velcro, and I've never had my transponder fall from my car windshield, so I'd prefer to still do that. But is there a flat surface under the Z900 screen that it will fit?

I'm hoping someone has proven it fits and can tell me exactly where/how they put it ;)

Doing some "research" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass ) it looks like the transponder would be one of these: https://www.kapsch.net/us/ktc/downloads/datasheets/in-vehicle/915/Kapsch-KTC-BR-Transponder-Product-Line-915MHz-EN_U.PDF?lang=en-US

Dimensions:
3.7 x 1.9 x 0.9 in (94.0 x 48.3 x 23.0 mm)

And directional (you can see the arrows imprinted into the plastic), so I guess it needs to be mounted "landscape" not "portrait", and upside down to mimic being stuck to a car windshield with the lettering facing the car's interior (so, imagining I can mount it parallel to the ground, label-down and arrows pointing towards the tank/me)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:36:02 AM by numburCycle »

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 02:12:53 AM »
It's really easy in our state. We log into our online transponder account and add a license plate to the account. Then when we roll through the tool-plaza, their license plate scanner takes picture and they bill your account. While I do keep a transponder mounted in the car, having registered an extra license plate on the account is easy. So log into your online account and see if that option is there. Down here, the license plate reader is there to catch those that don't want to pay - or those of us registered.

Bonus...you get pictures of yourself (rear view) and able to download them  :305:

Offline Tudtran

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Johnstown
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 05:33:49 AM »
Dang! Motorcyclist can use the toll road for free in Colorado.

Offline quantum

• Z900 Pro
  • 63.1% on the squidometer
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Navarre FL
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:30:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tudtran [+]
Dang! Motorcyclist can use the toll road for free in Colorado.
you can use them free here if you just reach back and cover your plate when you go through the toll cameras  :164:
who are you to tell me i can't smoke a cigar and eat a cheeseburger while texting on my motorcycle?!?!?!?

IG: @moar_beard

Offline makor01

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:22:53 AM »
Under the windscreen zip tied to the metal thingy. I've had it there since I bought the bike with 0 problems.

Offline VIC8BALL

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »
Motorcycles arent required to have a transponder in northern Virginia...

VIC

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by VIC8BALL [+]
Motorcycles arent required to have a transponder in northern Virginia...
This is how it should be all over US. They need to encourage this to alleviate traffic. I pay same amount on toll if I'm a 450lb bike or 6,000lb truck  :157:

Offline logik

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2018 Ebony/Black
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 02:22:53 AM »
I actually just keep mine in my backpack, and it seems to read ok.