Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Retro-fitting HID projectors  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Hahnl

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900 ABS 2018
  • Town / City: Dallas
Re: Retro-fitting HID projectors
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »
It is pretty sweet looking
https://www.ktmoto.com/kt-full-led-headlight-assembly-for-kawasaki-z900-2017/

*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Umm, have you not seen that KT moto do an LED housing unit? Price is a bit steep, but I think it would look awesome! Plus the light pattern would be correct.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Umm, have you not seen that KT moto do an LED housing unit? Price is a bit steep, but I think it would look awesome! Plus the light pattern would be correct.
Bingo, it's all about the light pattern.  :028:
I'll go with high performance incandescent lamps as my next step but believe it or no, I have only ridden the Z twice at night since I've owned it.
Once specifically to adjust the beam and to see how effective they were at night. And another time just out riding.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Bingo, it's all about the light pattern.  :028:
I'll go with high performance incandescent lamps as my next step but believe it or no, I have only ridden the Z twice at night since I've owned it.
Once specifically to adjust the beam and to see how effective they were at night. And another time just out riding.

For me, anything I can do to improve night riding is a bonus. Half of my riding is in the dead of night for work. While its fine during the summer with the dry roads and lack of clouds, in the winter when its darker, cloudy and pissing down with rain half the time, visibility can be a problem. Ive currently got some Philips 150% brighter bulbs in the bike, but I dont feel like they make a huge difference. Also got some spot lights wired up, but the cheap and shitty Chinese spot lights I bought failed - twice, so now I need to replace them with some better ones. Luckily, a friend of mine works in a shop that sells that sort of thing, so going to get some through him, just more expensive is the problem. I really like the look of the LED headlight assembly, but that is a hefty price tag! Another bonus it would give you would be electrical capacity. 35W for low beam instead of the 55W halogen. An extra 20W to play with would be nice.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline TheTeaHermit

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Normal
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
$550 is pretty steep vs. this project's price point ~$100.

They don't show the wiring diagram the way they do on their HID all in one kit. I'd be curious to see what that looks like and how user friendly it is for a drop in replacement the the current face of the Z900. I'd imagine the relay would have to run to the battery still, and the switch would need to be mounted somewhere on bars and the wires for that ran to the relay. They don't mention what kind of LED bulbs they use, if they're H7 and plug directly into the OEM plug or if they're H4 and plug into the stock adapter that plugs into the H7 plug. If they're neither of those bulbs it would require a relay/ballast setup similar to the HID swap which would be additional wiring as well. The integrated turn signals are a nice touch.

I'd love to see one of the kits in person, or at least see the details of the wiring to see how they're doing their setup as well as what kind of testing they've done to ensure that the beam pattern is correct for the LED lights. Most OEM auto manufacturers use a single large projector for their OEM LED headlight housings or a series of small mini projectors. This kit seems like it uses standard reflectors for the low beams, and a single projector for the high beam. But it may be the inverse, their documentation on the website is limited at best.

Offline nayr14

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Northern Illinois
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 05:27:43 AM »
I posted about a retrofit at the end of last year.  I ended up picking up some TRS Mini H1's on Black Friday but I never got to retrofitting them.  I created a sketch of about what I'd need for a bracket but I don't have a way of producing one and I'm sure it would take many revisions (I've never done this before).  It would be great if someone could scan a KT Moto bracket so we could adapt it for our other projectors, then find a shop that could laser cut it.  TRS Mini H1's will not fit in the reflector assembly without cutting, and if I do cut it's annoying to align, especially with motorcycle headlights.  The bracket is the way to go.

I installed the BK moto retrofit in my Versys 650, I love that!  If you find a way to create a bracket then the rest should be easy.  Let me know!

Offline TheTeaHermit

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Normal
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
I ran into that same exact problem. I've retro-fitted HIDs before and have just been able to use the stock reflectors to mount them. The lens for the headlight is too shallow and it can't be mounted how you would typically mount a HID retrofit. I toyed around with the idea of modifying the reflector to work, either by cutting out the bowl and mounting the HIDs deeper in the reflector or by shaving down the back side of the reflector so it sat deeper in the housing, but neither of those options seemed feasible and the likelihood of ruining it was too high.

I ended up getting them mounted by taking out the reflector housing and mounting them directly with machine screws, spacers, but they couldn't be adjusted and the bowl stuck out too far behind the housing and hit the forks. There was no feasible way to make this option work.

I contacted KT Moto to see if they would sell me a bracket, but even after offering $50 (for like $1 worth of metal) they would not relent. So I ended up buckling and I ordered the whole kit for $250. I'm gonna scan and measure the bracket and I'll get it uploaded. I don't have high hopes for the kit as a whole as the parts look lackluster, and the wiring looks like crap. I'm half hoping something arrives busted so I can RMA it or at least request a partial refund (I ordered through Amazon, so hopefully there would be more options available if it arrives and is junk).

I sketched up a rough bracket as well, but the tools to make precise circular cuts and measurements is beyond me right now.

If we did have the exact measurements I think it probably would be relatively cheap to have a batch of them cut from a shop. So as soon as I get the kit in the mail I'll get the calipers out and get some good measurements for you.

Offline nayr14

• Z900 Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by TheTeaHermit [+]
I ran into that same exact problem. I've retro-fitted HIDs before and have just been able to use the stock reflectors to mount them. The lens for the headlight is too shallow and it can't be mounted how you would typically mount a HID retrofit. I toyed around with the idea of modifying the reflector to work, either by cutting out the bowl and mounting the HIDs deeper in the reflector or by shaving down the back side of the reflector so it sat deeper in the housing, but neither of those options seemed feasible and the likelihood of ruining it was too high.

I ended up getting them mounted by taking out the reflector housing and mounting them directly with machine screws, spacers, but they couldn't be adjusted and the bowl stuck out too far behind the housing and hit the forks. There was no feasible way to make this option work.

I contacted KT Moto to see if they would sell me a bracket, but even after offering $50 (for like $1 worth of metal) they would not relent. So I ended up buckling and I ordered the whole kit for $250. I'm gonna scan and measure the bracket and I'll get it uploaded. I don't have high hopes for the kit as a whole as the parts look lackluster, and the wiring looks like crap. I'm half hoping something arrives busted so I can RMA it or at least request a partial refund (I ordered through Amazon, so hopefully there would be more options available if it arrives and is junk).

I sketched up a rough bracket as well, but the tools to make precise circular cuts and measurements is beyond me right now.

If we did have the exact measurements I think it probably would be relatively cheap to have a batch of them cut from a shop. So as soon as I get the kit in the mail I'll get the calipers out and get some good measurements for you.

Awesome!  A scan with a flat tape measure (like the ones from IKEA) would be great.  That way we can create a vector image and scale it to size, then adjust the cut outs for different projectors, then print it off on paper and do a rough fit.

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 02:51:29 AM »
Thanks Teahermit, it's called taking one for the team.  :821:

Offline oddspider

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Dallas
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »

Is it a flat piece of material you are wanting cut? I have a 3 axis cnc that Incan cut g10 or carbon fiber. It's not set up for metal. If you can make it in CAD and get me the dxf file I can cut it for you.

I hate the stock lighting, hell I even hate the stock housing/shape l. I've been thinking about making some mounts to make my own lights

Offline nayr14

• Z900 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »

Did you get the kit in the mail yet?