Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shifting improved with flash or PC5?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Den

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Shifting improved with flash or PC5?
« on: August 23, 2019, 04:15:16 PM »
Hi guys, wife has recently burned out clutch on 900 trying to let it out slooowly to get over abruptness when changing gears. Takes me a few minutes to adapt as well when I get on the Z. I remember reading at one point some members who had got either flash or PC5 and said the shifting/fueling had improved? Can anyone verify that? I will put new clutch pack in (winter project) but if either of these two mentioned will help then I would like to go that rout. Now my wife is definitely not a pro, but has had ninja 500, fz 07, and now the Z9.. no troubles with other bikes.
Thanks for help

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: Shifting improved with flash or PC5?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »
I am no help on a tune
but
The z9 slipper clutch is definitely funky. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket and recently put in Brocks HD clutch  springs ( says HD but only 10% stiffer) which really makes a noticeable difference. Plus with a total cost of under $80 it is more than worth the felt improvement   :028:

Offline Den

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks, I hadn't even thought of springs.. was just going to replace plates and disks. Will give Brock's a look

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Decorah
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 04:10:35 AM »
hmm interesting. my Z900 was smooth as can be shifting gears

Offline Den

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
I was on a gsxs-s 1000 site a while ago...I had nearly purchased one a few years back but report of a terrible off/on throttle kept me from it. When I spoke with a national rep about it, he said "because of trying to meet emissions the fueling is the way it is", but said a power commander fixes it. Anyways a few of the guys on that site mentioned that the Z900 also had a bit of snatchy throttle, which I hadn't really thought of. I have also a Ninja 1000 and have to say the Z900 is kind of snatchy on-off compared to it. Maybe it was only a few models, not sure, still a great bike.

Offline faizpakoh

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Kota Bharu
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
How can i know if my clutch plate is bad? quite curious  :084:

also changing to brock spring make it better in term of?

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Den [+]
Hi guys, wife has recently burned out clutch on 900 trying to let it out slooowly to get over abruptness when changing gears...
Now my wife is definitely not a pro, but has had ninja 500, fz 07, and now the Z9.. no troubles with other bikes.

Does she know the clutch should be pulled only a split second and then released as fast? Sounds like something is possibly done fundamentally wrong (maybe throttle control), can you take an action cam video and see what is happening?