Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: kind of a bittersweet moment  (Read 584 times)

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Decorah
kind of a bittersweet moment
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:38:13 AM »
well last Thursday I had to trade off the Z900.   it was either trade or stop riding.  I am 6'1" tall and 57 years old. the bike was a blast hot rodding around but pleasure riding longer distances just does not cut it anymore. knees and but just hurt to dang much after only a 160 mile afternoon ride.    if someone actually made a decent seat for one of these it may possibly have been possible. one of the last times I rode it I sat WAY in the back of the seat right against the rear tail piece.  knees felt better but there is really no damn seat there just the edge of it and it slopes way too much. I had the tall ergo seat too. now if someone only made a taller seat that was FLAT instead of sloped maybe but seat markets is very limited.   when coming to a stop light to stretch legs I had to literally STAND UP to get a stretch.  then it felt like I was standing almost 4" above the bike or more!  sitting on it with both feet on ground was still a pretty strong knee bend.   loved the feel of the motor.  loved how it handled but running it hard on back roads just to enjoy it was not worth it anymore.  no way in hell could I tour with it.   bike is just to damn small for me as far as seat to peg and pegs a bit too far back.  a 900RS I sat on was like a dream compared to the standard 900.  just did not like the wider tank of the RS.  so  traded it off.  what did I get..   A new 2018 Versys 650LT still had a new one on floor and was $1000 off.  Road it back home 65 miles and was like night and day for comfort. miss the motor but not the cramped space.    now on to longer rides and a more sensible ride( only time before I got caught speeding way to fast or hit some livestock crossing a road at the speeds I would ride the 900.  only time it was fun!  well the 2 year run was fun but had to move one. Still with a kawi though!  AND now my wife can ride with me too!     https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156128272295163&set=a.10150553727130163&type=3&theater
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:40:05 AM by leeasam »

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: kind of a bittersweet moment
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:20 AM »
You might have tried a footpeg lowering kit but alas, you did what you had to do. 
The 650 Versys is no slouch and punches above its weight. It suffers from the same budget suspension the z900 does though. Fix that and you have a bike you can keep forever.
Ride well.  :821:

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:33:23 AM »
Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I quickly fixed the 'too small' ergonomics by rotating the handlebar forward by about 2 degrees. End result was increasing the rise and reach ever so slightly.

Small ergo mods = big differences in feel  :002: Learnt this from riding bicycles, where 5mm changes can make it feel like a completely different bike.

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:36:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
You might have tried a footpeg lowering kit but alas, you did what you had to do. 
The 650 Versys is no slouch and punches above its weight. It suffers from the same budget suspension the z900 does though. Fix that and you have a bike you can keep forever.
Ride well.  :821:

pegs not only need to be lowered but moved forward.  WAY too far back even when lowered still too much knee bend. 34" inseam .  the RS is way more natural but then pegs on that can be dragged on hard leaning which can also happen to the Z.  the reason they are located where they are to not drag.    plus now my wife can ride with me where on the Z no one rides on the back of those worth a damn lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:41:31 AM by leeasam »

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: NWA
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I quickly fixed the 'too small' ergonomics by rotating the handlebar forward by about 2 degrees. End result was increasing the rise and reach ever so slightly.

Small ergo mods = big differences in feel  :002: Learnt this from riding bicycles, where 5mm changes can make it feel like a completely different bike.

Thanks KellyL , I'll definitely be doing that to my Z 💪

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 03:40:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]

reach was not an issue.  piss poor crappy seat design and pegs to high and far back keep a person with long legs made any moderate length of riding painfull in knees after riding..    even worse when wearing riding pants.  more knee bind.     the RS is way more comfy.   plus no my wife can ride with me where on the Z no one rides on the back of those worth a crap lol.

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 03:54:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by leeasam [+]
well last Thursday I had to trade off the Z900.   it was either trade or stop riding.  I am 6'1" tall and 57 years old. the bike was a blast hot rodding around but pleasure riding longer distances just does not cut it anymore. knees and but just hurt to dang much after only a 160 mile afternoon ride.    if someone actually made a decent seat for one of these it may possibly have been possible. one of the last times I rode it I sat WAY in the back of the seat right against the rear tail piece.  knees felt better but there is really no damn seat there just the edge of it and it slopes way too much. I had the tall ergo seat too. now if someone only made a taller seat that was FLAT instead of sloped maybe but seat markets is very limited.   when coming to a stop light to stretch legs I had to literally STAND UP to get a stretch.  then it felt like I was standing almost 4" above the bike or more!  sitting on it with both feet on ground was still a pretty strong knee bend.   loved the feel of the motor.  loved how it handled but running it hard on back roads just to enjoy it was not worth it anymore.  no way in hell could I tour with it.   bike is just to damn small for me as far as seat to peg and pegs a bit too far back.  a 900RS I sat on was like a dream compared to the standard 900.  just did not like the wider tank of the RS.  so  traded it off.  what did I get..   A new 2018 Versys 650LT still had a new one on floor and was $1000 off.  Road it back home 65 miles and was like night and day for comfort. miss the motor but not the cramped space.    now on to longer rides and a more sensible ride( only time before I got caught speeding way to fast or hit some livestock crossing a road at the speeds I would ride the 900.  only time it was fun!  well the 2 year run was fun but had to move one. Still with a kawi though!  AND now my wife can ride with me too!     https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156128272295163&set=a.10150553727130163&type=3&theater

Congrats on the RS bro, pretty sharp looking bike. Did you get the Kawasaki green color scheme? What's your top speed so far? 😎💪

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:05:22 AM »
pegs not only need to be lowered but moved forward.  WAY too far back even when lowered still too much knee bend. 34" inseam .  the RS is way more natural but then pegs on that can be dragged on hard leaning which can also happen to the Z.  the reason they are located where they are to not drag.    plus now my wife can ride with me where on the Z no one rides on the back of those worth a damn lol
I have a 33 inch inseam and could use some room. I'd say 33" is about the max for the z9 unless your knees are made of rubber.

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 04:06:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by BroskiiX [+]
Congrats on the RS bro, pretty sharp looking bike. Did you get the Kawasaki green color scheme? What's your top speed so far? 😎💪

did not get the RS.  even though it would have been more comfy I decided to go with a bike that had storage and wind protection and comfort.  got the versys 650LT   

Offline BroskiiX

• Z900 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 04:09:29 AM »
did not get the RS.  even though it would have been more comfy I decided to go with a bike that had storage and wind protection and comfort.  got the versys 650LT

My bad bro😂 was multitasking while replying to your post. I feel dumb 😂 congrats on the Versys 😎💪