Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 vs Z900rs  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Aylesbury
Z900 vs Z900rs
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
Curious to know, how many of you test rode both the Z900 and the Z900rs before making your purchase and what led you to your decision?

Also, if you did not test ride both before purchasing but have ridden both at some point, I would love to know what you thought of them pitted against each other?

I have test ridden both recently and I'm having to test them again at a different dealer to hopefully come up with a decision.

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Decorah
Re: Z900 vs Z900rs
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
i owned the standard z900.  never rode the RS but sat on one and if the RS was available at the time I bought my Z I would have probably went that route.  seating and peg position way more comfy for my tall frame.  only thing about the RS I did not like better than my Z was the tank is quite a bit wider . on the standard Z your knees are tucked in the concave shape of the tank.  kinda depends what you want.  but for longer pleasure rides if I had to do it again I would go the RS

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »
IMO a better comparison would be a Z900 vs MT-09. The Z900RS is a retro bike that all about the classic look from the past. So because of this, it's very subjective and depends what you like better. The Z900 (non RS) has a little more power...but the RS isn't lacking. If you intend to spend time on highway, the Z900 will offer better wind protection. But as for the retro look of the RS, I think it's stunning (root beer trim)....keep in mind I had a KZ750 from the era so YMMV...

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
If you're comfortable on the z900 that's one thing.
Intended use is another. I believe the RS is easier and more practical to mount luggage. So probably better for touring.

The z900 has more power as shipped. Also for the cost difference you can mod the suspension on the z900 plus mod the exhaust and you'll have a better bike.
I'm glad I went with the z900 but my other bike is a retro bike and I didn't want two.

But if I were going the RS route I'd spend a couple of bucks extra and go for the green Cafe model.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »
Well I'm interested  in both... for similar reasons and different ones.

I originally thought I would be very impressed with the rs but I wasn't. I was actually more impressed with the standard version. Granted I have taken a long hiatus from riding and my last bike was a 2006 R1 which I last rode over 10 years ago. However, the standard Z900 is quite possibly the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and instantly put a smile on my face.
The twitchy throttle of rs put me off a bit, more so because kawasaki got it so perfect on the standard model that I couldn't for the life of me understand why they would fiddle with it when building the rs.
I really wanted to like the rs because of the styling and it was different from what I grew up riding plus the comfort aspect but the standard z900 is so spot on.

I've booked another test ride of both at a different dealer next week to see if the outcome is the same. The rs will be the cafe version this time though.

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 12:17:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
If you're comfortable on the z900 that's one thing.
Intended use is another. I believe the RS is easier and more practical to mount luggage. So probably better for touring.

The z900 has more power as shipped. Also for the cost difference you can mod the suspension on the z900 plus mod the exhaust and you'll have a better bike.
I'm glad I went with the z900 but my other bike is a retro bike and I didn't want two.

But if I were going the RS route I'd spend a couple of bucks extra and go for the green Cafe model.

To be honest a lot of my use will be commuting via twisty country roads but I want to also do a bit of touring. My preferred option would have been  the Z1000sx but insurance companies are taking the mick. Lowest quote was 1700.

I know the rs will be more comfortable over time and distance but I cannot get over how smooth the standard z900 is. Clutch, gearing, throttle are like butter and handling is better. I have to consider the wife as well however and that pillion seat on the standard z is a joke to say the least.

Offline leeasam

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Decorah
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alex34 [+]
To be honest a lot of my use will be commuting via twisty country roads but I want to also do a bit of touring. My preferred option would have been  the Z1000sx but insurance companies are taking the mick. Lowest quote was 1700.

I know the rs will be more comfortable over time and distance but I cannot get over how smooth the standard z900 is. Clutch, gearing, throttle are like butter and handling is better. I have to consider the wife as well however and that pillion seat on the standard z is a joke to say the least.

the Z900 is smooth .  no ride modes or anything just nice cable throttle smooth.  handles good too.  but if wife is going to ride it aint happening on the standard Z.  even with an air pad my wife could not ride at all comfortable even for a couple miles knees were above her hips = bad      plus kept sliding forward.   she is also 5'4" and 125lbs so not a big person by any means.  only person riding on the back of a Z maybe decent is a 60lb 10 year old!

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:53:18 AM »

Yes. The z900 has about the smoothest inline four engine ever made. When I bought mine I told my friends it feels like a Honda, LOL. (Feel free to flame away  :192:).
I believe the RS guys have smoothed it out with some ECU flashing. I haven't a clue as to why Kawasaki didn't just use the z900 motor as is in the RS model. It makes no sense why they "detuned" it 10 HP less and added the snatchy throttle. (That's a Yamaha move).
And yes again, the pillion seat on the z900 is all but useless unless the passenger is with a skinny butt and sub 100 pounds.

It just so happens that I saw for the first time today the Cafe model at a dealership and sat on it. I really like the roundness of the fairing as you sit on it. All the Z's are all highly rated in the reviews so I'm sure that you'll be thrilled with whatever you choose.
I only use my z900 for bombing around. If I want to tour I use my ZRX1200R which is already set up with a SW Motech rack for a Givi top-box.
If you only have one bike and want to tour with a passenger the RS is probably the way to go.

Online Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 01:51:38 PM »
I've booked another test ride of both at a different dealer next week to see if the outcome is the same.
Have you been to Lloyd Cooper in Watford yet?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
Have you been to Lloyd Cooper in Watford yet?

Stopping by on Tuesday but they say they only have a z900 to demo... no rs. Strange as they have an ex demo rs advertised for sale. Will try and talk them into letting me demo it if it's still available.

Booked in with Blade in Abingdon on Wednesday for the cafe rs and standard z900 demos.