Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Winterproofing advice needed  (Read 425 times)

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Aylesbury
Winterproofing advice needed
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »
Since this will be my first time riding in winter-ish conditions (UK), I'm looking for all the advice I can possibly get.

What are the must do's and the must don'ts? How do I keep away corrosion and damage from water and road salt? Also, effects from the cold to look out for?

I've been told about ACF50 and "duck oil" so purchased some ACF50 already.

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Quebec
Re: Winterproofing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
Rob will be the best to answer you. He rides in UK all year long!

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]

:028:

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
The key element I see is the chrome slider on the bottom of the front forks. A regular squirt & wipe of acf 50 Here is a must. Then theres the exposed front header pipes. These will need a regular clean to keep on top of. A front fenda extenda will help here. Other than that theres not a great deal of brightwork. I put a stainless exhaust can on mine to replace the shocking standard can. The front black frame tubes have open ends. I popped a rubber grommet in each of these to keep heavy rain out. There are some drain holes so water wont get trapped longterm. Hope this helps. By the way I guess the exhaust headers are stainless steel, does anyone actually know that?

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
So only plug the frame holes at the front?

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bentham [+]
......I guess the exhaust headers are stainless steel.....

They are indeed.
Scotchbrite and something to wet it such as soapy water or proprietary bike cleaner brings them back to original finish pretty quickly.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]

Cheers buddy.

Yes, as has already been mentioned (and you’ve already bought) ACF50 is your friend. Which one did you get? In my experience, the stuff in a spray can can be a bit gloopy, so I bought the big bottle of the stuff with the spray bottle. You really don’t need a lot, just REALLY clean the bike and make sure it’s thoroughly dry, mask off the controls, tyres, brakes and footpegs, warm the ACF in warm water for about 10 minutes or so before application, remove the seats and cover everything in a LIGHT coat of it, then go have a cuppa. After 15 mins or so, it’ll have seeped into all the little nooks and crannies, just buff off the excess with a clean microfibre cloth. Also helps to get a small paintbrush, dab it in the neat ACF and put some on things like the calliper bolts that won’t have got any because of the masking. Once the bike has been treated, it’s supposed to last for up to a year, but I reapplied it twice over last winter. Reason for that was that you’re only supposed to hose the bike off after each ride. I found that I could get away with that for so long but after a while the bike was proper grubby, so I cleaned it properly and started again. Car wash soap etc. will remove the ACF, hence only rinsing the bike off after use. Also, the bike will smoke for about 10-15 mins when you first start it up, don’t worry though, it’s just the excess burning off. If you can’t be arsed with all that, have a look at: https://allyearbiker.co.uk/
They do the whole bike for you so it’s showroom clean and treated with ACF or XCP (your choice) for about 70.

Other than that, make sure you’re warm and dry. Layering works best for keeping the cold out. Also get some waterproofs that go over your riding gear, even if your gear is waterproof as this will save you a lot of drying time. Heated grips are great when used with hand guards or bar muffs or you could get heated grips. I use winter gloves, heated grips and bar muffs for the really cold weather and my hands were toasty after a 30 minute commute in -12C. I also wear thermal long johns and thermal t shirt as my first layer under everything else and the only part of me I found that got cold last year was my toes. Getting a set of heated in soles for my boots for this winter. You can wire them to the bike or run them off a rechargeable battery pack they come with, which apparently lasts for about 3 days per charge and they’re only 50.

Lastly, if you wear glasses, get some anti fog treatment for them, pinlock for your visor and some rain x for the outside of the visor to help the rain bead up and run off.

Here’s some pics from last year. Have fun :028:

Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
Cheers Rob! Thanks for the pics!

I've got the ACF50 refill bottle and spray bottle from the advice of The Missenden Flyer.
So mask off controls, tyres & wheels and foot pegs. Remove seat and EVERYTHING else gets ACF50 treated? Even the undercarriage with headers and exhaust? Chain drive as well?

Got Halvarssons waterproofs already, pinlock on my visor and rainx in garage. That being said I don't plan on purposefully riding it in bad weather as I have a car as well but its mostly for those damp and light rain days or when I get caught out. I will be riding year round but as long as the weather forecast is decent. Only below freezing when its super dry and no chance of rain or snow. When I work it's 12hr shifts so the weather can change dramatically by the time I'm heading home, I want to be prepared as much as possible.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alex34 [+]
Cheers Rob! Thanks for the pics!

I've got the ACF50 refill bottle and spray bottle from the advice of The Missenden Flyer.
So mask off controls, tyres & wheels and foot pegs. Remove seat and EVERYTHING else gets ACF50 treated? Even the undercarriage with headers and exhaust? Chain drive as well?

Got Halvarssons waterproofs already, pinlock on my visor and rainx in garage. That being said I don't plan on purposefully riding it in bad weather as I have a car as well but its mostly for those damp and light rain days or when I get caught out. I will be riding year round but as long as the weather forecast is decent. Only below freezing when its super dry and no chance of rain or snow. When I work it's 12hr shifts so the weather can change dramatically by the time I'm heading home, I want to be prepared as much as possible.

Yeah coat everything else in the stuff, even the electrical connections on the battery, wires under the pillion seat, drive chain, headers etc. Also worth soaking a microfibre in the stuff and going over wheels after youve unmasked them, just dont get any on the tyres or brakes.

For me, I dont have much of a choice. I did have a car until last year when it went to scrap the week before the snow started. Now Ive only got the bike. Well, I say that, but the wife wont use her car if the weather is really bad, so if its icy out, then thats an option. If theres bad snow, I wouldnt go to work regardless of if I had a car or not. The trouble Ive got is that public transport by me doesnt start running until 6am and I have to be in work for 04:30 and thats only where the trouble starts. I can empathise on the shift work side of things as I work as a HGV driver, so my shifts can be anything from 8 to 15 hours. Never know what the weather will be like when I get back which resulted in me getting caught in a couple of flurries of the white stuff last year, though luckily it never amounted to much. My only saving grace is that the buses that dont start running til 6am run until 11pm, so if I ever got back and it was too dodgy to ride the bike home, I could park it under cover at work, lock it up and catch the bus home.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Alex34

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »
Thanks Rob!