Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Here's What Our Front Tire Does  (Read 717 times)

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Here's What Our Front Tire Does
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by bmartinZ900 [+]
Yeah, I stumbled across that video a few days ago and then checked out some others. That's a MotoGP Ducati bike and rider. I wouldn't go full send into a corner braking like that on the Z lol. Trail braking is a great skill to adapt, but very hard to master. I still would prefer straight line braking prior to corner entry on a street bike.

Without a doubt for road riding. I dont do a lot of trail braking, but I will on occasion on the entry to a roundabout but even then its only slightly. The main thing I take away from it is that you can use brakes in a corner should you ever need to, its just about smooth control and a balance between lean angle and how much braking force can be applied.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online zed9

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 z900
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
These videos are a useful twist on the standard fare. It's nice to see how the pros do it.

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
I've watched my forks & rotors too.
"The ride is the reason"

Online JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 03:05:58 AM »
Here's the matching video for the rear tire.  I actually found this one more informative given there has been a long running debate on internet forums as to whether or not the rear of a motorcycle ALWAYS rises under acceleration.  Someone well know put in his 20 year old book it always will, and hence you should always roll on the gas in a corner to increase ground clearance.  A numbers of different authors after that repeated in their books the same 'advice'. 

The 'tests' these authors use to demonstrate it will always rise are highly flawed.  What a bike does on a dyno, or with the front wheel wedge against a wall is highly flawed.  These 'tests' have the two forces that make it rise (chain and swing arm angle) but not the very force that is trying to compress the rear suspension (rear weight transfer).

Judge for yourself whether or not this 'advice' of the rear always rising is true.  The only time I see any noticeable extension of the rear suspension is when the rider rolls off the throttle (throwing weight forward), or as he exits a corner and the compressed suspension from cornering returns to normal.   

Under straight line max acceleration the rear suspension seems to me to either stay the same or squat slightly.  This is what I thought race suspension tuner were aiming for to maximize traction.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:10:20 AM by JohnCW »