Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch noises  (Read 744 times)

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: LONDON
Clutch noises
on: October 02, 2019, 02:39:33 PM
My bike is nearly 2 years old and has done 8000 + miles. When I am stationary and in neutral, when I pull in the clutch lever, it makes a sort of grinding noise. But only when I am actually pulling the lever . Once the lever is in and I hold it there, it doesn't make a noise. Only during the actual squeezing. It's a sort of soft grinding, scratching noise.
And yes, I have checked my clutch free play and it's ok.
Any ideas? Does anyone else's clutch do this? Is this normal?

Online iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Re: Clutch noises
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:35:46 PM
Youre just noticing the noise now? I would imagine thats normal. Unless of course its not. Then I would get it checked out. I dont believe any clutch is silent though. Search clutch noise on the forum for more info.
Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:37:29 PM by iBuchon

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 07:11:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
My bike is nearly 2 years old and has done 8000 + miles. When I am stationary and in neutral, when I pull in the clutch lever, it makes a sort of grinding noise. But only when I am actually pulling the lever . Once the lever is in and I hold it there, it doesn't make a noise. Only during the actual squeezing. It's a sort of soft grinding, scratching noise.

My 2017 clutch rumbles at idle until the clutch lever is fully pulled in. It's done that since new as did my Vulcan S. Both the Z900 demo bikes I've ridden did that too,
I sometimes get a grinding noise on first take off after a cold start as the clutch engages.
During clutch pull in there is what can best be described as a ticking sound but I have to get down close to hear it. Its certainly not audible wearing a helmet during normal riding.
I don't suppose any of that helps.  :012:
6000 miles BTW.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:30:30 PM
I need to bend down and put my head near the clutch down on the left to hear it. The noise happens as I am squeezing the clutch lever in and only then.
I also have the cold start judder, but this is something else.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 02:43:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
My 2017 clutch rumbles at idle until the clutch lever is fully pulled in. It's done that since new as did my Vulcan S. Both the Z900 demo bikes I've ridden did that too,
I sometimes get a grinding noise on first take off after a cold start as the clutch engages.
During clutch pull in there is what can best be described as a ticking sound but I have to get down close to hear it. Its certainly not audible wearing a helmet during normal riding.
I don't suppose any of that helps.  :012:
6000 miles BTW.

I just noticed this exact noise on my last ride and was a bit worried. It was definitely when the bike was cold and just starting out. I no longer had the issue once riding. Now that I read this with others hearing it I don't believe it is anything to worry about.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:06 AM

Ha yeah mine did that for a while, and then it stopped, weird. Ride harder and show it whos the boss, it will soon stop squealing at you.  :008:

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:34:31 PM
I actually took my bike to the dealer last week about this issue as my 2 year warranty is nearly finishing. When my bike is in neutral (when warmed up) and I hold the clutch in, from the clutch area, it makes a whirring, clattering noise. My dealer had a listen and said something sounds not quite right. He thought there was a loose bearing at first. So I left my bike with them for 2 days. They opened up the clutch, took everything apart, changed the bearings, put it all back together and it still made the same noise. So they decide that there is nothing wrong with it even though they haven't heard a Z900 make this particular noise before. I hope he's right!!

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:11:09 PM
My thoughts are that these are (mostly) normal sounds.  I have never owned a motorcycle that did not make certain noises, both engaged and disengaged.

There is a lot going on, even if the bike is in neutral and clutch engaged (primary shaft is engaged with output shaft with no drive gears engaged).  When the clutch is disengaged (some have different mechanisms that actuate the pressure plate) that can make strange noises.  Not to mention, the clutch hub is turning with disengaged friction plates, while the input shaft of the transmission is not spinning, or spinning very little with splines drive plates); that is going to make mechanical noise that is audible.  Unless the clutch isnt adjusted properly, or is adjusted and slipping under load, Id press on...nothing to worry about.

Sarge

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 09:19:35 PM
So my clutch is not slipping.
They said it's the clutch plate that is vibrating slightly that's making the noise.

Offline macm

• Z900 Junior Member
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 11:09:35 PM
I actually took my bike to the dealer last week about this issue as my 2 year warranty is nearly finishing. When my bike is in neutral (when warmed up) and I hold the clutch in, from the clutch area, it makes a whirring, clattering noise. My dealer had a listen and said something sounds not quite right. He thought there was a loose bearing at first. So I left my bike with them for 2 days. They opened up the clutch, took everything apart, changed the bearings, put it all back together and it still made the same noise. So they decide that there is nothing wrong with it even though they haven't heard a Z900 make this particular noise before. I hope he's right!!

I have the same issue. 2017 z900 with 27000km. I will ask the shop to make a visual inpection on the clutch on the next revision. The noise seems to be louder as the quilometers increase.