Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Whine while under acceleration?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Slowsv

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Queensland
Re: Whine while under acceleration?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
               Is it like that?                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
Hey slowsv. I think i can hear it in that vid but its not as clear as IRL. Thanks all for your responses and ideas. So far the dealer says it is normal and said that it is part of bikes having straight gears. I never noticed it untill now. I can say that it is alot more noticable during acceleration even just barley cracking the throttle. I took a ride of a second hand z900 they had in the shop and it made exactly the same noise. Pitch loudness everything. I checked the balancer as per the service manual and it is spot on. I cant say im happy with my conclusion but i guess its normal. I can hear it in other videos i have found on youtube too.

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
That makes complete sense with the balancer.
Like you say, noises people hear are very hard to diagnose, and after about 30 pages of trying to diagnose it, they post up at the end and say something like " I heard a mates one, and he has the same noise , so its normal"  :001:

Not quiet 30 pages but yeah.... something like that. Hahaha

Online Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aussielife [+]

Not quiet 30 pages but yeah.... something like that. Hahaha

Its all good. That whine question has been on here a lot. I normally say its the primary gears as well. I actually really like the sound of it, a bit mad max type of supercharger noise type thing.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
More about "noises".... I have a fancy multi-channel audio recorder I will sometimes use as the audio source (replacement) for my GoPro stuff. Depending on where I place the microphone/device, I can make my flawless Z900 sound like the transmission has no fluid or a rod is about to exit the block. I generally use filters post production because how sounds come across. There are only a handful of YT'ers that do this properly.

Spend enough time on YT and you will find people that complain how a Ducati sounds like trash...but in real life sound so much better.

Online Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
More about "noises".... I have a fancy multi-channel audio recorder I will sometimes use as the audio source (replacement) for my GoPro stuff. Depending on where I place the microphone/device, I can make my flawless Z900 sound like the transmission has no fluid or a rod is about to exit the block. I generally use filters post production because how sounds come across. There are only a handful of YT'ers that do this properly.

Spend enough time on YT and you will find people that complain how a Ducati sounds like trash...but in real life sound so much better.

Yeah well you only have to look at some of the exhaust clips on  YT, they sound nothing like real life.
I wouldn't know where to start when recording sound, it is a black art for sure.
The poor old Ducati's got a bad rap with the rattles from the dry clutch that can sound like a tin can with bolts rattling around in side it.  :002:

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
On another noise related issue i have found the culprit to my buzzing at 4-5k rpm. I have ever taken this side cover off so chances are the dealer has left it off and decided some tape would suffice.

Online Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aussielife [+]
On another noise related issue i have found the culprit to my buzzing at 4-5k rpm. I have ever taken this side cover off so chances are the dealer has left it off and decided some tape would suffice.

Are you saying he left the whole silver plastic cover off, the one that goes over the green frame in your photo. and stuck that little black square thingy on there.
How was it causing a buzzing? I might be reading all wrong so excuse me if I am not getting it.  :002:

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »
Sorry no lol. i should have said that he left the little rubber gromet/damper off the bottom push in thingy (actual technical terminology). Haha i would have been pretty annoyed if he left the whole cover off hahahahahaha. Instead of replacing the gromet looks like he put on a piece of stick on foam.

Offline Aussielife

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:36 AM »
This doodad