Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stripped nut under clutch lever  (Read 559 times)

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Troy
Stripped nut under clutch lever
on: October 12, 2019, 01:22:45 AM
Hi there

Okay so I got the missing bushing for the aftermarket clutch lever, then realized the nut underneath was stripped inside all the way...It rotates just fine, but it is not coming off from the screw. Also the screw (the one with a L on the top) sitting deeply in the groove makes it harder to remove. Please help me....Thanks! :440: :440:

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Re: Stripped nut under clutch lever
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 01:37:02 AM
*Originally Posted by crik001 [+]
Hi there

Okay so I got the missing bushing for the aftermarket clutch lever, then realized the nut underneath was stripped inside all the way...It rotates just fine, but it is not coming off from the screw. Also the screw (the one with a L on the top) sitting deeply in the groove makes it harder to remove. Please help me....Thanks! :440: :440:

I remove the clutch lever sensor for easy access to the nut. Just be warned the two small Philips are soft metal and loctited in so use the right sized Philips screwdriver to remove them.
2017 Z900
Knock off shorty levers, custom bar ends w/ bar end mirrors, dbl bubble screen and pillion cover. T-Rex frame sliders, 16 tooth front sprocket, Led headlight bulbs, rear pegs removed,  ZX6 foot pegs and a custom wrap.
 Race Fit Titanium Brawler, reflash and AIS plugged.

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 01:41:35 AM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
I remove the clutch lever sensor for easy access to the nut. Just be warned the two small Philips are soft metal and loctited in so use the right sized Philips screwdriver to remove them.

Well I have the right sized socket and the nut was indeed rotating, it just wont come off...what else did you do to get the nut off?

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:05:57 AM
Well I have the right sized socket and the nut was indeed rotating, it just wont come off...what else did you do to get the nut off?

If the nut truly is stripped and spinning use vise grips on the nut. Pull down on the nut while turning it with the vice grips.
2017 Z900
Knock off shorty levers, custom bar ends w/ bar end mirrors, dbl bubble screen and pillion cover. T-Rex frame sliders, 16 tooth front sprocket, Led headlight bulbs, rear pegs removed,  ZX6 foot pegs and a custom wrap.

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:50:06 PM
Will try, Thank you!

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 10:37:47 PM
Will try, Thank you!

How did you make out?
2017 Z900

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 03:19:14 AM
so the issue seems to be that only the thread in the middle of the screw (where the nut sits right now) is stripped, and threads below are fine, making it super tricky to remove. I tried using the grip but it was not coming off. I am thinking of using the hammer along with the grip and will try that tomorrow. Bought the bike when it was only 700 miles and never expected the previous owner has done so much for it...multiple screws and metal parts replaced with bad quality colored ones and they ended up getting rusted everywhere...Many things weren't set up correctly...some stuff even missing...but really made me learn lots of mechanics skills,lol

Online zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:31:13 AM
Hacksaw (cut the nut leaving as little as possible) + drill (?).

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:14:34 AM
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
Hacksaw (cut the nut leaving as little as possible) + drill (?).

Sounds like a plan! Will try that tomorrow! By the way, by any chance do you know the size of screw/nut replacement I should get? if yes that will be really helpful!

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 05:54:51 PM
A quick update: got it off with a nutsplitter. New levers are awesome!