Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 Z900  (Read 6780 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Frontline

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • *
  • Posts: 774
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
  • Country: us
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #100 on: November 11, 2019, 12:40:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]
Yes great news that its not DBW.
And this here is how they are doing the traction and modes.
https://ridermagazine.com/2019/11/08/2020-kawasaki-z650-and-z900-first-look-review/
Which is exactly as I suspected. On my other toy I have different tunes I made (summer, winter, kill) and on 2 of the 3 tunes I mostly limit the power via ignition timing map. So when they say they are limiting "fuel and air for ultra-smooth operation"...what they are doing is changing the fuel map and re-curving the secondary throttle plates (and some ign).

So once 3rd party cracks the ECU code (for flashing), they could not only alter sport mode but also the other 2 modes. Obviously the sport mode should have no restrictions like before.

Also, using a PC5 on such  setup when not in the unrestricted "sport mode" will cause very odd fueling issues. So I see the PC5 becoming less attractive unless you only leave it in sport mode. One would need to setup the PC5 with a 2-position switch (for different map like all zero and adjusted).
Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 12:44:51 PM by Frontline

Online iBuchon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 710
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
  • Country: us
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #101 on: November 15, 2019, 11:14:56 PM
If you compare the 2019 and 2020 back to back the bread box seems smaller. I wonder if the sound will any louder. Windscreen also looks a little steeper, and is it me or does it look like the bars are less turned up?

Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:16:38 PM by iBuchon

Offline ProfJeff

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Posts: 40
  • Town / City: Lexington NC
  • Country: us
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #102 on: November 16, 2019, 01:42:33 AM
*Originally Posted by iBuchon [+]
If you compare the 2019 and 2020 back to back the bread box seems smaller. I wonder if the sound will any louder. Windscreen also looks a little steeper, and is it me or does it look like the bars are less turned up?



Nice photo work!
That sure looks like a new windscreen which means no motivation for more manufacturers to help us out with our pre-2020's.

Offline Led Zed 70

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
  • Country: us
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #103 on: November 16, 2019, 04:18:43 AM
That is cool, good work. Seeing it like that I think the new headlight looks better.

Offline stuartho

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • *
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 383
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Brisbane
  • Country: au
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #104 on: November 16, 2019, 04:39:25 AM
That's a great way of comparing the different years.
The styling is definitely more "finished" on the 2020, although the 2019 is still a good looking bike.
I prefer the 2020 headlight and cowl, particularly how it flows better with the side fairing. The new frame cover has a slightly better design too and  looks much better in black. In fact I like the whole 2020 "blacked out" look with the engine covers.
But I don't like any of this stuff, or the new electrickery, enough to upgrade. And sadly it'll be way too expensive to buy these bits to bolt on.
In any case, this morning I had a thoroughly enjoyable 3 hour ride with a few mates that included some of the best roads around our city; everything from tight 20km/hr corners to expansive sweeping corners, and with a stop for coffee and shooting the breeze. I love this bike. It does everything well and puts a broad smile on your face.
So I'm not looking at the 2020 ;)
Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:05:40 AM by stuartho

Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1369
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
  • Country: england
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #105 on: November 16, 2019, 08:08:38 AM
Great work ibuchon!
I agree with stuartho regarding he blacked out cases and reshaped frame plastics. Hopefully the frame revisions won't prevent the side plastics being retro-fittable. Not sure I'm that keen on the snubbed look around the headlamp, definitely prefer what I have got now with respect to the shape but not the halogen lights!
I won't be trading up that's for sure.
IF they have changed the handlebars it must surely prove that someone in Kawasaki HQ reads this forum because they have addressed just about every other criticism made on here about the bike.
Well done everybody! You're all doing really well.
🤭
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Greyhairhoon

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 779
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
  • Country: au
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #106 on: November 16, 2019, 10:09:10 AM
Yeah great stuff on here re the 2020 model. I think both models will be great bikes in their own right. I cannot wait to see the first one on here that someone buys new and tells us all about it. Good for the forum and good reading for all of us.

*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Which is exactly as I suspected. On my other toy I have different tunes I made (summer, winter, kill) and on 2 of the 3 tunes I mostly limit the power via ignition timing map. So when they say they are limiting "fuel and air for ultra-smooth operation"...what they are doing is changing the fuel map and re-curving the secondary throttle plates (and some ign).

So once 3rd party cracks the ECU code (for flashing), they could not only alter sport mode but also the other 2 modes. Obviously the sport mode should have no restrictions like before.

Also, using a PC5 on such  setup when not in the unrestricted "sport mode" will cause very odd fueling issues. So I see the PC5 becoming less attractive unless you only leave it in sport mode. One would need to setup the PC5 with a 2-position switch (for different map like all zero and adjusted).

Yeah very true, when you think about the secondary throttles, they are dbw, so in a way we already have it, in a secondary sort of way.  :002:
I think PC5's are a bit of a dinosaur nowadays, when you can do so much with the stock ecu.

Love that comparison of the two models, good work there ibuchon.

cazzyR have you painted your frame covers black? they look great in black on our gen1 model.

*Originally Posted by stuartho [+]
But I don't like any of this stuff, or the new electrickery, enough to upgrade. And sadly it'll be way too expensive to buy these bits to bolt on.
In any case, this morning I had a thoroughly enjoyable 3 hour ride with a few mates that included some of the best roads around our city; everything from tight 20km/hr corners to expansive sweeping corners, and with a stop for coffee and shooting the breeze. I love this bike. It does everything well and puts a broad smile on your face.
So I'm not looking at the 2020 ;)

Me too. I had a great ride today, everytime I ride this bike it just seems to get better. I cannot see that I will ever sell this one, its just so good. It makes me smile that's for sure.
Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:10:03 AM by Greyhairhoon

Online zeta

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 390
  • Town / City: Lohja
  • Country: fi
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #107 on: November 16, 2019, 02:29:06 PM
I did not read all the messages, so maybe this is already mentioned, but this is a great improvement, a hole in the panel. You can lift the bike with an Abba stand without removing the panels. It would be awesome if this panel fit the the 2018 model...


Offline MZ900

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 662
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: KLP
  • Country: lt
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #108 on: November 16, 2019, 02:35:20 PM
Kawa deffo on this forum then 😁😁😁

Offline Led Zed 70

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
  • Country: us
Re: 2020 Z900
Reply #109 on: November 16, 2019, 02:51:15 PM
*Originally Posted by stuartho [+]
That's a great way of comparing the different years.
The styling is definitely more "finished" on the 2020, although the 2019 is still a good looking bike.
I prefer the 2020 headlight and cowl, particularly how it flows better with the side fairing. The new frame cover has a slightly better design too and  looks much better in black. In fact I like the whole 2020 "blacked out" look with the engine covers.
But I don't like any of this stuff, or the new electrickery, enough to upgrade. And sadly it'll be way too expensive to buy these bits to bolt on.
In any case, this morning I had a thoroughly enjoyable 3 hour ride with a few mates that included some of the best roads around our city; everything from tight 20km/hr corners to expansive sweeping corners, and with a stop for coffee and shooting the breeze. I love this bike. It does everything well and puts a broad smile on your face.
So I'm not looking at the 2020 ;)