Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated Grips and Extra Fastener -- What'd I Do Wrong?  (Read 229 times)

Offline chrisb507

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Alexandria, VA USA
Heated Grips and Extra Fastener -- What'd I Do Wrong?
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »
Hi all, I have a stupid question. I just put Oxford Premium heated grips on my 2018.

They're great, no issues hiding most of the connectors in the nose, or in running the wire up the left side to the battery. I removed two side panels on the left side of the bike last night--and brought them in my house--in anticipation of finishing today. And I did...except...well, crap, my wife found an extra bolt near where I stored the panels last night. And I can't figure out what I missed. The panels are back on and snug, so is the seat...so is the nose. Any ideas what I missed that requires this 4mm hex fastener?:

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Heated Grips and Extra Fastener -- What'd I Do Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
The painted side panel just under the seat that attaches to the black plastic piece has 3 bolts that hold it in place. One of those just has a nylon washer under it like the bolts on top of the tank, the other 2 have a metal recessed washer like your picture. If you remove the frame cover, the seat and the side panel again, youll find which one youve missed. If my memory serves me right, the 2 that have the metal recessed washer are the one under the seat and the middle of the 3 bolts. You could take off the other side panel to see whats missing if you cant see where it goes as thats the same setup.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline chrisb507

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:03 PM »
RobZ900 , thank you for the quick response, very helpful! Checking it out per your post.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
As soon as you take the rider seat off youll see them just in front of the tank, unless thats the one you missed in which case youll only see it on one side lol. If its not that one itll be the next one along. Should be able to see if its missing pretty easy. Could be worse, theres a couple of those recessed washers under the bolts at the front of the tank, except they slot in from the underside. Nearly dropped one in the top of the engine the last time I changed my spark plugs :033:
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline chrisb507

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
You called it, thanks again!  :020:

It was helpful to take off both sides to see what I was missing. It's a little hard to tell with some of rubber grommets that take the inserts from the panels. But found and fixed! No spare bolts, ready to ride!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
:028: worst thing in the world, finding a bolt that youve missed. Glad you got it sorted.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:56:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
:028: worst thing in the world, finding a bolt that youve missed.

Hmmmm....worst thing huh
I have a jar of nutz and bolts from over the days lol
Weight savings
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:58:00 AM by ras »

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
Hmmmm....worst thing huh
I have a jar of nutz and bolts from over the days lol
Weight savings

:745:

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Quebec
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
:028: worst thing in the world, finding a bolt that youve missed. Glad you got it sorted.

Or missing one somewhere .-.