Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Bike. New Tire. And a nail.  (Read 2919 times)

Offline ProfJeff

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • I don't care what you ride, I care that you ride.
  • Bike: 2019 Z900
  • Town / City: Lexington NC
New Bike. New Tire. And a nail.
on: November 13, 2019, 01:50:36 AM
One day this week was to be over my 45 degree AM / 55 degree PM ride window, and it's Monday so not a bad way to start the week.
Pack the luggage for work.
Bundle up.
Start bike to warm up.
Secure luggage.
Helmet and glove up.
Start bike.
Go to roll it backwards to check it out. It won't move and feels funny.
WTH
Get off bike.
Look down.

Monday morning down the tube.

I haven't even had it a month yet--that would be tomorrow. I was planning on new tires in spring and use these "bad ones" through the slow winter months.
So......do we think it can be fixed? I'm guessing it's not likely.

Oh, I did take the other bike to work (Yamaha Raider, it's much warmer to ride at this temp too!)
2019 Z900 Moondust Grey and Red, MRA Racing Windscreen

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: New Bike. New Tire. And a nail.
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:21:30 AM
Yea that sucks. But since the stock tires suck really bad, I can't say I'd be too stressed over it. I can't imagine these tires in the cold (they sucked in the warm).

As for fixing the tire.... Your gonna get many that will say just plug it. I would only plug a tire to get me home...and if tires isn't old (and hole isn't in center), I would take tire off wheel and do a proper patch from the inside. You will likely spend $40 -$80 to do that but I wouldn't do it any other way.

Or, spend the money now on new tires and it will handle better and be safer all around.

Offline TricksOfTheTrey

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 / Ninja 300
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:28:42 AM
Plug away! If anything, on these stock tires, it will just give you more grip :008:

Online bigj11

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Memphis
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:13:51 PM
Plug that joker.  I got a nail in my tire when the bike was brand new, around 50 miles on the speedo.  I had no issues out of it.  I replaced the tires after a few thousand miles.

Offline Lzed9ine

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: zr900 2K18
  • Town / City: South
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:26 PM
had my bike 2 weeks , & i have a puncture , thinking of plugging it as money is insanely tight at the moment.

is this a bad move? i use my bike to commute to london otherwise its silly money p/day

Offline ProfJeff

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • I don't care what you ride, I care that you ride.
  • Town / City: Lexington NC
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:44:08 AM
There is a wide range of opinion here on that one.

I bought a Stop N Go plug kit and plugged it, it's a mushroom style plug without glue which I did not know when I bought it. In hindsight, I might have tried a different one with glue, it just seems to make more sense.

Having said that, some 3-5 rides later, about 135 miles over 3 weeks, normal speeds up to 6ooo in top gear (still breaking her in!), in pretty cold to slightly warm weather, and I have lost maybe 1-2 pounds of air. It seems like it is going to hold so....if you are comfy with what could be a slow leak, I would ride it for a few months while you save cash for warmer/hotter and probably harder riding in a few months.
2019 Z900 Moondust Grey and Red, MRA Racing Windscreen

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:40:09 PM
The location of the nail is in the safe zone for a plug. I'm a firm believer in the old boring sticky string type. I've been using them for decades on cars, trucks and motorcycles without one failure ever.
I'll use the glue if it hasn't dried up but the string works without glue also.

Offline Lzed9ine

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: zr900 2K18
  • Town / City: South
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:12:51 PM
*Originally Posted by ProfJeff [+]
There is a wide range of opinion here on that one.

I bought a Stop N Go plug kit and plugged it, it's a mushroom style plug without glue which I did not know when I bought it. In hindsight, I might have tried a different one with glue, it just seems to make more sense.

Having said that, some 3-5 rides later, about 135 miles over 3 weeks, normal speeds up to 6ooo in top gear (still breaking her in!), in pretty cold to slightly warm weather, and I have lost maybe 1-2 pounds of air. It seems like it is going to hold so....if you are comfy with what could be a slow leak, I would ride it for a few months while you save cash for warmer/hotter and probably harder riding in a few months.

gonna check this out , nice one

Offline Leprikawn

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Antelope California
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 06:25:51 AM
I had the same thing happen to me at 550 miles into the break in. I plugged it and made sure I put a good amount of glue on it. Im now at 1056 miles, and havent lost a pound in air pressure.
Now Im saving to get some pilot 5s.