Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: z900 rear wheel noise, chian/sprocket/bearing?  (Read 529 times)

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Troy
z900 rear wheel noise, chian/sprocket/bearing?
on: November 19, 2019, 06:15:10 PM
Hello there,

this is a follow up post of my previous one on the chain wobbling problem,  with the chain readjusted the issue is mitigated, but now new problem comes up.

there is a noise coming from the rear wheel, seems to me from the bearing area. Checked the chain, there is no tight spot, and the sprockets are all in good condition. so I can't help but think I might have damaged a bearing when tightening the rear wheel nut. Loosened the nut, the noise persists. when hand turning the wheel, the noise is gone but I could hear a slight scratching sound (maybe the brake pad or the bearing?). Put it in gear, a metal ball rocking noise appeared. please see the video. I am now very worried about the working condition of my bike...
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
Re: z900 rear wheel noise, chian/sprocket/bearing?
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:00:42 AM
Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Offline stroh

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: z900, cx500 cafe
  • Town / City: bay city
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:17:55 AM
There's not a lot going on back there.  Take the wheel off and inspect the sprocket, bearings and brake disc as well as the caliper.  Would take you very little time to take it off, look it over and put it back on.

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 02:56:14 AM
*Originally Posted by mininsx [+]
Sounds perfectly normal to me.

might be that it spins too quick for the microphone to pick up the noise, will try to get another footage.

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:58:01 AM
*Originally Posted by stroh [+]
There's not a lot going on back there.  Take the wheel off and inspect the sprocket, bearings and brake disc as well as the caliper.  Would take you very little time to take it off, look it over and put it back on.

Will do that this weekend. It is the high pitch sound other than the normal humming sound, like marbles rolling in a basket.

Offline Led Zed 70

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z900ABS
  • Town / City: Round Rock
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 01:32:30 PM
I think the torque specs are around 80ft lbs give or take for rear wheel so I doubt you damaged anything. Maybe your chain is damaged from previous issue and thats your noise your hearing? Just a thought.

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Led Zed 70 [+]
I think the torque specs are around 80ft lbs give or take for rear wheel so I doubt you damaged anything. Maybe your chain is damaged from previous issue and thats your noise your hearing? Just a thought.

Oddly I don't find any tight spot and see no apparent damage...btw does this sound normal to you?

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 05:24:43 PM
*Originally Posted by crik001 [+]
Oddly I don't find any tight spot and see no apparent damage...btw does this sound normal to you?

Sounds like you have checked things over
On my POS phone I hear nothing that sounds out of the ordinary.
2017 Z900
Knock off shorty levers, custom bar ends w/ bar end mirrors, dbl bubble screen and pillion cover. T-Rex frame sliders, 16 tooth front sprocket, Led headlight bulbs, rear pegs removed,  ZX6 foot pegs and a custom wrap.
 Race Fit Titanium Brawler, reflash and AIS plugged.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 09:31:03 PM
You say you think you may have damaged the bearings when tightening the rear wheel nut. Are you using a torque wrench? The torque for that nut is 108Nm. If you havent got one, Id suggest getting a torque wrench. Ive got 2 - 1 for the small stuff from 8-30Nm and the other for the bigger stuff from 30-200Nm. Saves the guess work and stops you from over tightening anything. Ive damaged too many parts and stripped too many threads in my time to not use one!
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline crik001

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 02:09:00 PM
Yup...really should have used one for the wheel nut...