Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre advise  (Read 1829 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Tyre advise
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 03:50:02 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
I find the end of wear performance  on a tire is very telling. Some tires start doing weird things when they get near the wear bars, especially the fronts.

As far as the Road 5's 35 degree lean theory in the rain...What happens if say, in an emergency avoidance maneuver, you have to lean it more than 35 degrees? You lay 'er down?

I know what youre saying, but the chances of losing grip just for momentarily touching wet tarmac with partial contact of the slick section are negligible. If you do manage to touch that part of the tyre in the wet (which Ive done) its only going to be slightly. Cant say Id ever be at full lean during an evasive manoeuvre. That plus adapting my riding to the conditions means its not something Im worried about. 
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 03:55:03 PM
But back on the subject of how they wear, heres my rear tyre at 4,000 miles. Took 2 photos so you can see the profile hasnt squared yet and the remaining tread depth. Youll have to excuse the state of the bike, just got home from work. Only washed her 5 days ago :019:

: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: KLP
Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 04:04:42 PM
Noice

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 10:34:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Greyhairhoon [+]

Can I just say this before people start to think that the Road 5 tyre is a wet weather tyre only, it is NOT a wet weather tyre only, it is just very good in the wet. It is also sports tyre grip in the dry and that was how it was designed to be.

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting the Road 5 is ONLY a wet weather tire.   BUT, it is simple physics that all other things being equal, as you increase the amount of tread on the face of a tire (land to sea ratio is the technical term) you (a) decrease the stability of the tire, and (b) increase the tendency to cup and feather.  If there was no downside why wouldn't manufacturers cover all road oriented pure sport tires in tread?  There is a reason dry oriented sport tires have minimal tread, just enough to be road legal.  And that reason is they perform better like that in the dry.

A tire ONLY has tread to perform in the wet, and it comes at the cost of dry weather performance.  There are no rights/wrongs, it is just finding the best compromise for the conditions under which the tire will operate.

I've never run Road 5's, but I've tried Roadtec 01's which are a direct wet weather oriented competitor.  They are way less straight line stable they the dry road oriented Z8's they replaced.  On heavily grooved roads they move around all over the place in comparison.  Less stable, noisy, and cupped badly.

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 01:16:10 AM

And just to head off anyone telling me their road 5's don't cup/scallop/feather, every motorcycle tire with tread running across its face at a angle to the direction of rotation will, its normal.  The more tread lines the tire has, the more cupping and feathering the tire will experience as it wears.

You can see it in the picture of Rob's back tire.  The top edges of each tread line are scooped down, the bottom edges are feathered up.  Perfectly normal wear.  Push, and then drag, the sharp edge of a pencil eraser across a flat surface (simulating the leading and trailing edges of the tread groove) if you want to get an appreciation of why this happens.
Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:19:23 AM by JohnCW

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 03:10:16 AM
Who uses pencils with erasers any more?
Anywho, it's Conti RA 3 for me.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 04:24:49 AM
*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]

And just to head off anyone telling me their road 5's don't cup/scallop/feather, every motorcycle tire with tread running across its face at a angle to the direction of rotation will, its normal.  The more tread lines the tire has, the more cupping and feathering the tire will experience as it wears.

You can see it in the picture of Rob's back tire.  The top edges of each tread line are scooped down, the bottom edges are feathered up.  Perfectly normal wear.  Push, and then drag, the sharp edge of a pencil eraser across a flat surface (simulating the leading and trailing edges of the tread groove) if you want to get an appreciation of why this happens.

Youre right that theyre more wet weather orientated, this is the reason that I chose them over the RA3s as they just seemed to edge it in that department which is important for my riding. They do stick like sh#t to a blanket though, more so than I would have expected for this kind of tyre. As for cupping, I did have to replace my front tyre after it only had 6,500 miles on it as it was badly scalloped (cupped?) on the edges, though I suspect this happened earlier than it normally would due to the underrated front suspension for my weight being that the front was/is bouncing through the corners. My local suspension guy agrees with that, so well see what happens once I get the front cartridge kit done.

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 04:25:18 AM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Who uses pencils with erasers any more?
Anywho, it's Conti RA 3 for me.

Me.  Not the ones in the end of a pencil, but the solid block (which is the ones I meant) .  Still the best thing for removing working pencil marks from finished surfaces in the building trade.

I could have used the Australian term of a 'rubber', but it seems that term is used for something else in other parts of the world  :008:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 04:32:22 AM
Me.  Not the ones in the end of a pencil, but the solid block (which is the ones I meant) .  Still the best thing for removing working pencil marks from finished surfaces in the building trade.

I could have used the Australian term of a 'rubber', but it seems that term is used for something else in other parts of the world  :008:

No, the thing for removing pencil lines from paper is definitely a rubber lol.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 01:16:12 PM

In my high school drafting class we used those erasers with an erasing shield. What a great tool though I haven't used it since.
Sometimes I like to leave my lines visible just to show off that I actually measured something. LOL.