Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sprocket Changes (1down at the front 14t)  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Lzed9ine

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: zr900 2K18
  • Town / City: South
Re: Sprocket Changes (1down at the front 14t)
Reply #30 on: June 20, 2020, 03:07:32 PM
*Originally Posted by dezoo76 [+]
could anyone provide a part number of 14T sprocket?
JT online catalog shows 1537-14 as a part number for z900 - is it correct ? is it the same part as for z1000, as most of the eBay sellers listed 1537-14 for z1000?

any other good options for sprockets?

try renthal or ognibene , get a steel sprocket over an aluminium one particularly if your going down 1 at the front as the wear will increase - allu is too soft in my opinion

Offline Jim

• Z900 Pro
Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 04:40:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Lzed9ine [+]
Just ordered an AFAM 14t steel sprocket & I'm looking at whether there is a difference between Supersprox & Renthal that warrants Supersprox's Price

Anyone know?

So how is the 14 tooth working out for you.

Personally, I would have gone with increasing the rear only.

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: spokane
Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 05:02:33 AM
Sure on the part # requests, but FIRST & FOREMOST...

**DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON A NEW FR. SPROCKET, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO A POWERFUL IMPACT WRENCH. PERIOD!*

It seriously will not come off otherwise. That said, I actually started by ordering the JT 16T & 17T Part # JT1537-17 & prob JT1537-16 (can't make out last digit now) but they were absolute tanks for weight, solid, super thick and crazy heavy.

So I ended up ordering a couple of Pro-Teks from an ebay seller "gottheparts10".

I'd post a link, but I've previously tried to and it's no longer active & therefore pointless. Check his store on ebay though, possibly you can find them there...

16T = Pro-Tek #131-16 & also picked up the 14T #131-14.

He only had one 14T left at the time & they were half the price & twice the quality of anything else I could find compatible with stock 525 Chain etc.

If you can find the pro-tek's for under $30 (like i did) or honestly, even $40 don't hesitate!! They are top notch quality, made of steel, have 8 weight-saving holes & a flat, smoth / slightly thinner center-profile / thickness than the oem or JT's, but correct size & shape "525" sprocket teeth & a perfect fit overall.

They are between 1/2 - 2/3 the weight of the JT's / oem style sprocket (no rubber shaft collar), but imo the drive quality feel is just as good as oem sprocket. I can't feel any distinct differences. Although, It's hard to compare a difference in feel or smoothness when you're using 2 different size sprockets.

The Pro-Teks have a nice, high quality, brushed or stainless steel style finish, not sure if actually stainless steel, but the 16T I used for several months never rusted or shows any corrosion yet. Whereas the JT's part# has virtually disappeared from a layer of surface rust, just from sitting out in my shop for a year...

The 16T is a pretty good option overall, very convenient in general. It does tame 1st & 2nd gear acceleration a bit, but also reduces unwanted wheel lift considerably. After that it's not really noticeable "performance-wise" until 6th gear or around 130ish, but most of the time, you'll def notice the stretched out / wider feeling of the gears in-between 1st & 6th, (similar to 5 vs. 6-speed manual  in a car).

I've been practicing my 2nd gear clutch-ups & power wheelies a lot lately, so I decided to go back to my 15 before I finally try out the 14T & see what I can do in 3rd gear w that extra torque.. Either way, hope this helps.

I'll follow up & share my impressions after I have a chance to compare all 3 over the next month or so.
Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:05:08 AM by Z900-WA

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 08:21:24 AM
*Originally Posted by Z900-WA [+]
Sure on the part # requests, but FIRST & FOREMOST...

**DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON A NEW FR. SPROCKET, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO A POWERFUL IMPACT WRENCH. PERIOD!*

It seriously will not come off otherwise.

I got mine off using a breaker bar and a length of pipe for extra leverage. Also got the Mrs to put her not inconsiderable weight on the rear brake 😂😂
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline dezoo76

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Maroubra
Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 09:49:50 AM

agree

I've tried to use my  180Nm impact wrench - it was not enough power
I've had to purchase 300Nm impact wrench for this job

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:49 AM

That's not a good sign when it comes to chain and sprocket time.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Online ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2020, 12:37:09 PM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
That's not a good sign when it comes to chain and sprocket time.

His statement was a bit over kill but I have had bikes that will fight back VERY hard. For the most part a breaker bar or an electric half inch impact will work.
2017 Z900

Offline Z900-WA

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: spokane
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 02:06:42 AM
Nice job KawaJagz, I'm def impressed! Though, I'm not so sure your wife would be, if she saw your comment...

*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]

I got mine off using a breaker bar and a length of pipe for extra leverage. Also got the Mrs to put her not inconsiderable weight on the rear brake 😂😂

The reason I posted the warning was to try & help prepare anyone for what they'd be getting into, if they didn't have the proper tools to get it done with. I tried several attempts to get it off my bike manually, using a 2 ft long 1/2" ratchet (breaker bar?) then added a 3 ft. steel pipe for a total of about 4ft of leverage, while a friend stood on the rear brake & even using a towel wrapped 2x4 between the wheel & swingarm, but the only thing that happened was my chain started stretching like a bungee cord, it was bizarre!!! I've never seen anything like it... I'm also, 6'2" & 220+lbs and the tab washer was totally flattened out as well.

Finally decided getting a good deal on a 1/2" dewalt impact wrench was probably a better idea than trying to save a few bucks and risk damaging my transmission or drive train. Of course, a few taps from the impact and it was off in about 5 seconds.