Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Z900 a good replacement for a Sportsbike?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Oldguy

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Thousand Oaks
Re: Z900 a good replacement for a Sportsbike?
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:48 AM
I am going out on the ledge here and I am sure a lot of people don't want to hear this, but It really is all about the RIDER.  For the most part most riders never reach the limits of the bikes they ride. Yet, despite not being able to push a stock bike to its limit a good many people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on upgrades to the, fueling, exhaust, & suspension and end up being no faster than they were on a stock bike -- because they do not have the ability to ride faster. "Tis a fact. Of course some people just like farkled bikes and there is nothing wrong with that, since building or having a nice bike is great. In fact, in some ways it can help a bit, but overall a good rider can pretty much go fast on any bike.   See -- -- This is at the "Snake" about 5 miles from where I live. Yep, the guy is a nutter, but he makes my point. I'm pretty sure he will smoke a good many farkled out sport-bikes on his clunky Harley.

Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:00:27 AM by Oldguy

Offline DaveySprocket

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wellington
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 09:31:44 AM
👍👍👍

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 11:53:11 AM
*Originally Posted by Oldguy [+]
I am going out on the ledge here and I am sure a lot of people don't want to hear this, but It really is all about the RIDER. 
When I was a kid growing up, BMX was a massive and popular thing to do. I watching all the pros pull off sick tricks on their fancy bikes I was convinced it mostly came down to the bike itself. Little by little I pieced together all the fancy parts (from lawn cutting money) and ended up with a really nice trick bike. I quickly realized from riding it, the parts made no difference and it took a lot of actual work. Took me years to clean land a table-top. It was RAD getting to that point but learned at an early age equipment only gets your foot in the door.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 12:22:16 PM
Same is true of most activities.
I started playing Badminton with some wotk mates. They were better at it than me but they had fancy raquets.
 I got a fancy raquet too........
 Still got it......... somewhere. 😞
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 12:28:21 PM
I have a friend that keep changing for a better bike. Right now he has a gsx 1000 something. He got passed by a co-worker with his 300cc. The guy can't ride lol

I would love to track with the Z. But I'm not rich enough to test my limits and risk a crash.

Online KawaJagz

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 09:22:56 PM
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
I have a friend that keep changing for a better bike. Right now he has a gsx 1000 something. He got passed by a co-worker with his 300cc. The guy can't ride lol

I would love to track with the Z. But I'm not rich enough to test my limits and risk a crash.

If you're like me, the bikes limit is a lot higher than yours/mine. I tracked my Triumph Sprint ST1050, a heavy beast to chuck around, but I had a brilliant day with it on track, riding to my limit without testing the bikes limit.
The worst I had was braking too late for a hairpin and running into the gravel🙈 but I also passed a bloke on a Fireblade every lap on a long sweeping bend only for him to pass me back every time on the long straight.
I'll definitely take my Z on the track at some point, just to have a blast without cars getting in the way and the fear of a ticket👍
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline Pedro

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 Performance
  • Town / City: Seixal
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 09:44:47 AM
It's a good ideia doing that kind of ride in short sleeves  :008: :008: :008:

Offline ProfJeff

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Lexington NC
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 10:35:48 PM
He's got his Harley vest on, he's safe.
 :047:

Offline Leemans

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: London
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 01:03:39 PM
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
Hello Z900 forum People!

Just a bit of my riding history before I get to the meat of my question: I used to ride Ducati sport bikes (748,1098) back in the day and used to do track days/canyons with a knee down and a big smile on my face. Unfortunately due to a back injury and just overall being fed up with the horribly uncomfortable riding position of sport bikes in general for anything other than hauling ass through corners, Ive since sold both of these bikes and currently only have a Versys 1000. However, I still have that sport bike itch that needs to be scratched and the Versys, while fairly impressive given its weight and comfort tuned suspension, gets awfully wobbly and just doesnt satisfy this need.

I've been looking towards nakeds from pretty much every OEM: Super Duke R, Tuono, 790 Duke,  Hypermotard, MT-10 etc etc etc. Honestly, I didn't seriously consider the Z900 for a while because I forgot it even exists. Its not a bike you hear much about and there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz here in the states for this bike but the bang for the buck factor has me really considering it. Yes, the farkles and uber tech of some of the other options is nice and all, but having ridden bikes for a long time that didn't have any of this crap, I'm not sure I would miss it at all (and I for sure wouldn't miss paying the absurb premium for them!)

So now my questions. Is the Z900 a good replacement for a sport bike? How does the suspension hold up when you are really going for it in corners (I'm about 210lbs)? Hows the general comfort level? (I've sat on them in dealers but thats a poor substitute for spending time in the saddle). Out of the box, how long can you sit on the bike before you start to get uncomfortable? In your opinion what is the best/worst part of the bike or owners experience?

Thanks all for your time.

Yes Yes Yes.
I have always had Ducatis' and still have my 899 Panigale (which im selling). Last weekend i rode both machines back to back as the z900 is my daily commute.
The z900 makes my Duke feel agricultural!!!!!! such a nicer ride and having riden around Silverstone on a track day with the Duke, I am convinced i would lap quicker on the Z!!

Go buy one!