Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?  (Read 781 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline novak6991

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Country: us
Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
on: January 19, 2020, 04:36:09 PM
Hey guys! I am going to be sending my ECU into 2WheelDynoWorks to get flashed soon, and I was just curious what you guys who have had their ECU's flashed have noticed? I heard better throttle response. What else have you guys noticed? I'm pretty excited to get it done, although I won't be able to even ride my bike for at least another 2 months lol.

Online ras

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3671
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:53:50 PM
*Originally Posted by novak6991 [+]
I'm pretty excited to get it done, although I won't be able to even ride my bike for at least another 2 months lol.

LoL.. I know the feeling as I did mine over a month ago and Probally still have 3 months to go  before I will get to ride her .
2017 Z900
Knock off shorty levers, custom bar ends w/ bar end mirrors, dbl bubble screen and pillion cover. T-Rex frame sliders, 16 tooth front sprocket, Led headlight bulbs, rear pegs removed,  ZX6 foot pegs and a custom wrap.
 Race Fit Titanium Brawler, 2Wheel Dyno Works Reflash and AIS plugged.

Offline novak6991

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:01:39 PM
*Originally Posted by ras [+]
LoL.. I know the feeling as I did mine over a month ago and Probally still have 3 months to go  before I will get to ride her .
The struggle is real!

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 242
  • OneOfTheNobodies
  • Country: dk
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:38:04 PM
*Originally Posted by novak6991 [+]
Hey guys! I am going to be sending my ECU into 2WheelDynoWorks to get flashed soon, and I was just curious what you guys who have had their ECU's flashed have noticed? I heard better throttle response. What else have you guys noticed? I'm pretty excited to get it done, although I won't be able to even ride my bike for at least another 2 months lol.

I dont know what you mean buy sending your ecu into 2wheeldynoworks? ... but I got my Z900 on a dyno and got a custom map set on the ECU, all restrictions was removed and the rev limiter was pushed alittle up to give gears more pull, also minor adjustments like setting the fan to kick on earlier to help the bike running cooler, took around 5 hours to set up but man the bike was like another bike to ride, was like opening up for the entire engine or something, so smooth in every gear and the engine sounds healthy and happy, best of luck to you  :028:
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Tomok Mirrors - Rizoma Breaklever RRC - Rizoma Clutchlever RRC - Rizoma Grips Sportline - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma Barend weights - Rizoma Oile Cap - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro

Offline novak6991

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:29:44 PM
*Originally Posted by OneOfTheNobodies [+]
I dont know what you mean buy sending your ecu into 2wheeldynoworks? ... but I got my Z900 on a dyno and got a custom map set on the ECU, all restrictions was removed and the rev limiter was pushed alittle up to give gears more pull, also minor adjustments like setting the fan to kick on earlier to help the bike running cooler, took around 5 hours to set up but man the bike was like another bike to ride, was like opening up for the entire engine or something, so smooth in every gear and the engine sounds healthy and happy, best of luck to you  :028:

I removed my ECU from my bike and I am able to ship it to 2WheelDynoWorks (a tuner shop) and they can flash my ECU on the computer to match my modifications (ie. exhaust, air filter, headers). They dyno bikes at their shop with various configurations and save the files so they can upload it to my ECU in a sense. A lot easier to do than taking it to get dynod, or having a fuel controller like a Power Commander.

So basically everything you got done they can flash my ECU with that map and send it back. Looks like they did a lot of good things with your ECU cant wait to get it done and try it out!

Offline OneOfTheNobodies

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 242
  • OneOfTheNobodies
  • Country: dk
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 07:17:58 AM
*Originally Posted by novak6991 [+]
I removed my ECU from my bike and I am able to ship it to 2WheelDynoWorks (a tuner shop) and they can flash my ECU on the computer to match my modifications (ie. exhaust, air filter, headers). They dyno bikes at their shop with various configurations and save the files so they can upload it to my ECU in a sense. A lot easier to do than taking it to get dynod, or having a fuel controller like a Power Commander.

So basically everything you got done they can flash my ECU with that map and send it back. Looks like they did a lot of good things with your ECU cant wait to get it done and try it out!

Okay now I get it, I hope it works out for you... I get that they can make the map to match what mods you have on the bike but I dont get how they can monitor your exact engine and that way make changes to the fuel map? .. my tuner guy explained he does around 200 bikes pr year and every bike is very diffrent from each other, take my z900 he showed me a map he did for another z900 a week before and I could see from the numbers that some spots mine was lean the other bike was fat .. that was from the factory! .. note that both bikes had exact same mods before he made the custom map .. he explained that emissions in EU forced Kawasaki to make the bike ECO friendly but only at some rev numbers fx from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm. He explained that to get maximum performance you had to take each bike and tune it to that bike since every engine is made a little diffrent (he called it personality)  :008:

Best of luck with your ECU!
Z900 2018 Black - Full Akrapovic system - Rear Seat Cowl - Rizoma Tomok Mirrors - Rizoma Breaklever RRC - Rizoma Clutchlever RRC - Rizoma Grips Sportline - Rizoma Bobbins 8x35 - Rizoma Footpegs - Rizoma Barend weights - Rizoma Oile Cap - Rizoma turnsignal - Rizoma Numberplate - Radiator Guard - SW Motech Kickstand Enlarger - SW Motech Crash Bars - SW Motech Micro Tankbag - Eazi Grip Tank Protector - Luimoto Seat Cover+Gold Gel - HealTech Break Light Pro

Offline MZ900

  • Z900 Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 723
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: KLP
  • Country: lt
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:28:08 AM
Yeah, every good tuner will say that - every engine is unique.

Offline novak6991

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:51:39 AM
*Originally Posted by OneOfTheNobodies [+]
Okay now I get it, I hope it works out for you... I get that they can make the map to match what mods you have on the bike but I dont get how they can monitor your exact engine and that way make changes to the fuel map? .. my tuner guy explained he does around 200 bikes pr year and every bike is very diffrent from each other, take my z900 he showed me a map he did for another z900 a week before and I could see from the numbers that some spots mine was lean the other bike was fat .. that was from the factory! .. note that both bikes had exact same mods before he made the custom map .. he explained that emissions in EU forced Kawasaki to make the bike ECO friendly but only at some rev numbers fx from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm. He explained that to get maximum performance you had to take each bike and tune it to that bike since every engine is made a little diffrent (he called it personality)  :008:

Best of luck with your ECU!

Its not made to be extremely specific to just my bike. Its overall just an improved map to make the bike run better compared to stock. I dont race on the track, I just want some improvement with the fuel mapping.

Offline novak6991

  • Z900 Member
  • **
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:53:37 AM
*Originally Posted by MZ900 [+]
Yeah, every good tuner will say that - every engine is unique.

Like I said to the other guy. Its not made to be extremely specific, its just a general ECU flash to improve the bikes performance over the stock flash. Obviously getting a tune with my bike on the dyno is the best way, but like i like i dont race track so no point in it really. I just want performance over the stock mapping.

Online Frontline

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • *
  • Posts: 870
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
  • Country: us
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 02:10:03 PM
As more miles get added to an engine, it does become a little more "unique" because of how they set or wear in. However, the biggest difference in a custom dyno tune is location location location. Atmosphere (Density Air to be specific) plays the biggest role between two identical bikes. Not only that, it plays a role day to day as weather changes on same machine. Case in point, I'm at sea level but my DA can range from +2800FT altitude to below sea level (right this moment my DA is negative 540FT). Which is why on my other play toy I made a winter and summer tune and flash between both as conditions change. Ironically, when I input the conditions or parameters for 2wheeldynoworks actual location (right now), their DA is only 100FT different from me (amazing considering they are in Washington and I'm in Florida - a cool front moved in today - 53F). Just to give perspective.

(not referring to 2wheeldynoworks here) While everyone always associates "tuning" with actual fuel tuning (fuel map), real power comes from ignition timing adjustments (once you perfect the fuel map). To properly tune ignition timing goes beyond what many small shops with only a dyno can do. Some will bump up the timing without using a knock monitor...then maybe add 5% fuel on top fuel (cell) map to play it safe (it cools a hot chamber). Again, that's blind "tuning" and doing that with ignition is a very bad idea (but I bet many small shops do it to inflate their HP figures on paper). On my other toy, I do play with timing but only because I log with a Bosch knock sensor (0-255 scale), would never touch timing without being able to see that input (Z900 does not have a knock sensor as an output). Unfortunately, many small shops don't want to invest in a stand alone knock sensor (like a Plex or similar). Props to the shops that do  :028:

At the end of the day, the Z900 isn't a 200HP machine and okay is more than good enough  :164:

NOTE: I'm only comparing a well done (mail order) ECU flash to a full custom dyno tune/flash (to exact bike). The above does not apply to PC5 or poorly done mail order flash.
Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 02:11:07 PM by Frontline