Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?  (Read 782 times)

Offline novak6991

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
Re: Noticeable differences from ECU Flash?
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 02:39:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
As more miles get added to an engine, it does become a little more "unique" because of how they set or wear in. However, the biggest difference in a custom dyno tune is location location location. Atmosphere (Density Air to be specific) plays the biggest role between two identical bikes. Not only that, it plays a role day to day as weather changes on same machine. Case in point, I'm at sea level but my DA can range from +2800FT altitude to below sea level (right this moment my DA is negative 540FT). Which is why on my other play toy I made a winter and summer tune and flash between both as conditions change. Ironically, when I input the conditions or parameters for 2wheeldynoworks actual location (right now), their DA is only 100FT different from me (amazing considering they are in Washington and I'm in Florida - a cool front moved in today - 53F). Just to give perspective.

(not referring to 2wheeldynoworks here) While everyone always associates "tuning" with actual fuel tuning (fuel map), real power comes from ignition timing adjustments (once you perfect the fuel map). To properly tune ignition timing goes beyond what many small shops with only a dyno can do. Some will bump up the timing without using a knock monitor...then maybe add 5% fuel on top fuel (cell) map to play it safe (it cools a hot chamber). Again, that's blind "tuning" and doing that with ignition is a very bad idea (but I bet many small shops do it to inflate their HP figures on paper). On my other toy, I do play with timing but only because I log with a Bosch knock sensor (0-255 scale), would never touch timing without being able to see that input (Z900 does not have a knock sensor as an output). Unfortunately, many small shops don't want to invest in a stand alone knock sensor (like a Plex or similar). Props to the shops that do  :028:

At the end of the day, the Z900 isn't a 200HP machine and okay is more than good enough  :164:

NOTE: I'm only comparing a well done (mail order) ECU flash to a full custom dyno tune/flash (to exact bike). The above does not apply to PC5 or poorly done mail order flash.
I see youre quite detailed on how you want your machines to run haha. But Im just looking for bit better performance, not too worried about a perfect tune. Thanks for the input though.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 03:00:43 PM
*Originally Posted by novak6991 [+]
I see youre quite detailed on how you want your machines to run haha. But Im just looking for bit better performance, not too worried about a perfect tune. Thanks for the input though.
If I wasn't clear, I would personally run the 2wheeldynoworks flash on my own bike. Good enough and send it!! Post back your findings if you do.

Offline riptide_wave

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Minnesota, USA
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 04:45:55 PM
I ended up going with the 2wheeldyno ECU flash on my 2017 Z900, and I have been happy with the service. Turnaround was fast, and I can totally feel a bit more pull at the top end with my full Akrapovic exhaust system. I also love the fact it doesn't engine break as hard when I slowly let-off the throttle, which was one of by biggest gripes with the bike.