Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hot summer protection gear  (Read 1701 times)

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Re: Hot summer protection gear
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:23:10 AM
I've been touring in AU during late spring and midsummer. It's been up to 38-40C.

Leathers and non-mesh textiles just don't work. I tried. You need big vent panels to stop overheating from lack of sweat evaporation.  You might get away with kevlar jeans, as long as it's not too humid (which is what I wore before I got some Dainese Drake pants.)

For underlayers I use both the Alpinestars Ride Tech Summer and the Taichi Coolride. I also use cycling baselayers (e.g. Craft brand) when these are soiled. The sweat wicking helps with evaporative cooling, and stops the jacket/jeans sticking to bare skin.

I leave the armour to the outer layer, not the inner. I have never seen anything like what you've posted outside downhill MTB and dirtbike catalogues in Australia. They look like wetsuits! For what it's worth, I also have a set of Dakine downhill MTB knee/elbow crashpads which are supposed to handle sweat and heat, but end up never being worn in summer due to skin chafing.

Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:31:08 AM by KellyL

Offline Slowsv

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Queensland
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:03:50 PM
 For two to three weeks a year go and grab yourself a fitness/training shirt, self wicking and seamless. They dry quick and are good under leather jackets and a hell of a lot cheaper.
 Re-hydration is more important than anything you can wear, we gravely underestimate the effects dehydration has on our ability to react quickly or even concentrate on the road.
 Re-hydration, no i don't mean beer either. sorry  :821:

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 11:09:29 PM
I mostly only wear under armour t shirt. I知 still looking at something thin with protection to wear. In 2 weeks I値l have my answer to the Montreal show.

Thanks for your answers guys
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 11:38:34 PM
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
I mostly only wear under armour t shirt. I知 still looking at something thin with protection to wear. In 2 weeks I値l have my answer to the Montreal show.

Thanks for your answers guys
I reckon an armoured mesh jacket and kevlar jeans, along with your under armour shirt, would be a good solution. Less sticky than the armoured undershirts, and also less dorky off the bike  :001: Unless you're going for that Shazam! look
Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:40:17 PM by KellyL

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:54:11 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
I reckon an armoured mesh jacket and kevlar jeans, along with your under armour shirt, would be a good solution. Less sticky than the armoured undershirts, and also less dorky off the bike  :001: Unless you're going for that Shazam! look

Nice one on the Shazam look haha!! I will be trying many jackets and stuff soon so I値l post what I bought!

Kevlar long shirt with a dorsal protection could be great if it breaths a lot. I知 mostly scared of rocks getting to my skin
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 02:15:49 AM

Found this. Another one to try!

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Bristol
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 11:13:22 AM
For those hot summer rides, (cant quite remember them at the moment in UK!) I've just got one of the Knox armoured jackets. Urbane Pro is the model and they are branded "No Jacket Required" They have a tough mesh construction & contain the D30 elbow, shoulder & back protector. There was a stand at the UK bike show in November with great staff on hand to talk thru the range and it's applications. The mesh jacket keeps the armour in exactly the right place. I've copied the grey one to better show the style but they also come in black. You don't need a layer over the top as the material is tough enough in "slide" tests. I recommend something like a sports base layer made out of synthetic to wear underneath wick away perspiration, cotton just absorbs the sweat & gets uncomfortable. For my legs I wear some Helvarsons Wrap jeans where the aramid fibres are woven into the material so they are not so hot as a pair with a separate layer of Kevlar material.
Hope this helps,

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Bentham [+]
For those hot summer rides, (cant quite remember them at the moment in UK!) I've just got one of the Knox armoured jackets. Urbane Pro is the model and they are branded "No Jacket Required" They have a tough mesh construction & contain the D30 elbow, shoulder & back protector. There was a stand at the UK bike show in November with great staff on hand to talk thru the range and it's applications. The mesh jacket keeps the armour in exactly the right place. I've copied the grey one to better show the style but they also come in black. You don't need a layer over the top as the material is tough enough in "slide" tests. I recommend something like a sports base layer made out of synthetic to wear underneath wick away perspiration, cotton just absorbs the sweat & gets uncomfortable. For my legs I wear some Helvarsons Wrap jeans where the aramid fibres are woven into the material so they are not so hot as a pair with a separate layer of Kevlar material.
Hope this helps,

Yes thanks it confirm the video I just posted above! Will definitely look into this one

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 11:52:40 AM
I have 6th gear mesh pants + boots, The Wife runs one of their jackets + boots also.
Great products for the $$$. 

https://six-gear.com/
"The ride is the reason"

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Lohja