Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hot summer protection gear  (Read 286 times)

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Re: Hot summer protection gear
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:23:10 AM
I've been touring in AU during late spring and midsummer. It's been up to 38-40C.

Leathers and non-mesh textiles just don't work. I tried. You need big vent panels to stop overheating from lack of sweat evaporation.  You might get away with kevlar jeans, as long as it's not too humid (which is what I wore before I got some Dainese Drake pants.)

For underlayers I use both the Alpinestars Ride Tech Summer and the Taichi Coolride. I also use cycling baselayers (e.g. Craft brand) when these are soiled. The sweat wicking helps with evaporative cooling, and stops the jacket/jeans sticking to bare skin.

I leave the armour to the outer layer, not the inner. I have never seen anything like what you've posted outside downhill MTB and dirtbike catalogues in Australia. They look like wetsuits! For what it's worth, I also have a set of Dakine downhill MTB knee/elbow crashpads which are supposed to handle sweat and heat, but end up never being worn in summer due to skin chafing.

Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:31:08 AM by KellyL

Offline Slowsv

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Queensland
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:03:50 PM
 For two to three weeks a year go and grab yourself a fitness/training shirt, self wicking and seamless. They dry quick and are good under leather jackets and a hell of a lot cheaper.
 Re-hydration is more important than anything you can wear, we gravely underestimate the effects dehydration has on our ability to react quickly or even concentrate on the road.
 Re-hydration, no i don't mean beer either. sorry  :821:

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 11:09:29 PM
I mostly only wear under armour t shirt. I知 still looking at something thin with protection to wear. In 2 weeks I値l have my answer to the Montreal show.

Thanks for your answers guys

Offline KellyL

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: Z900, W800, RS250
Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:38:34 PM
*Originally Posted by cjskinner [+]
I mostly only wear under armour t shirt. I知 still looking at something thin with protection to wear. In 2 weeks I値l have my answer to the Montreal show.

Thanks for your answers guys
I reckon an armoured mesh jacket and kevlar jeans, along with your under armour shirt, would be a good solution. Less sticky than the armoured undershirts, and also less dorky off the bike  :001: Unless you're going for that Shazam! look
Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:40:17 PM by KellyL

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #14 on: Today at 01:54:11 AM
*Originally Posted by KellyL [+]
I reckon an armoured mesh jacket and kevlar jeans, along with your under armour shirt, would be a good solution. Less sticky than the armoured undershirts, and also less dorky off the bike  :001: Unless you're going for that Shazam! look

Nice one on the Shazam look haha!! I will be trying many jackets and stuff soon so I値l post what I bought!

Kevlar long shirt with a dorsal protection could be great if it breaths a lot. I知 mostly scared of rocks getting to my skin

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #15 on: Today at 02:15:49 AM

Found this. Another one to try!