Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Paint for engine case  (Read 355 times)

Offline Drak3n

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: Z900
Paint for engine case
on: February 26, 2020, 02:22:13 PM
Hello,

i would like to apply some paint to slightly cover some scratches from parking accident. Then i will probably reapply oem plastic cover (which is in my opininon pointless and i would strongly recommend buying plastic covers like those from RG etc. rather than investing in anything from oem kawa.)

Is there any color code for this silver paint on engine covers ? Or any touch up pen etc.

Thank you.

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Paint for engine case
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:41:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Drak3n [+]
Is there any color code for this silver paint on engine covers ? Or any touch up pen etc.
I don't know the paint code but why not use this opportunity to paint the 3 covers semi-gloss black. Would look better IMO and easy to do. The covers come off with hand tools.

Offline Schithawk

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Portland, ME
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:24:50 PM
Those look like some pretty deep scratches.  Chances are the paint wouldn't hold up long even if you did bother to grind out the scratches.  If replacing the crank cover is out of the question just throw some R&G engine covers on and call it a day.  You could get away with a sand/repaint on the plastic panel above the case, but if you're as neurotic as I am you're gonna want to paint the other cover so they match and next thing you know you're painting everything. 

If you're looking for factory match paint, check out this thread:

https://www.z900forum.com/index.php?topic=293.0

Offline Bentham

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Bristol
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:44:48 AM
IMO bolt some of the black resin covers on as other people have suggested, (less than 100 online and look much better with the rest of the motor in black)I also took the opportunity to change the bolts for anodised black allen bolts off  "Pro Bolt," it's a much better look and they are less prone to shearing in years to come when you try and take the engine covers off to do a job inside. Hope this helps.