Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust and More Exhaust...  (Read 621 times)

Offline DirtGearTV

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Exhaust and More Exhaust...
on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:38 PM
Hey all, just bought my first z900. Absolutely in love with this bike except for the exhaust, man is this thing quite. Like cant even hear the bike quite...

Heres my dilemma... I do not want a loud exhaust as I like to ride a lot at night and dont want to piss off my 18 neighbors who are cops and friends. Most full exhausts seem way too loud, so ive been kicking around the idea of doing only headers from a performance stand point with the OEM muffler. Has anyone run this combo with good results? not too loud?

Are there any other options from a performance point that will allow me to actually hear the bike with minimal db increase? What are yall runnin?  Glad to be here thanks for any feedback!!
Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:15:42 PM by DirtGearTV

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Re: Exhaust and More Exhaust...
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline DirtGearTV

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 07:10:25 PM
Seems good on the vid but always hard to tell though a cameras microphone...

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 07:12:12 PM
 :400:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:12:54 PM
Welcome
And search $8 exhaust mod
Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:13:25 PM by ras
2017 Z900

Offline DirtGearTV

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:32:45 PM
Thanks for reply! Im personally prob not going with an $8 exhaust mod. Nothing against those who are of course 😂

Let me clarify my concerns, going with aftermarket headers will no doubt make a bike louder but I suspect (in theory only) would cut torque in the low range for 2 reasons: Less back pressure almost undoubtedly will result in loss of low end torque. Two, less restriction will lean the bike out unless more fuel is metered.

For these reasons im very much on the fence with header only mods... Anyone running ONLY headers and satisfied with performance and sound?
Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:33:46 PM by DirtGearTV

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:24:23 PM
Do you like the look of the OEM muffler an want to keep it ? If you only want only a bit more sound and loose some weight... pick any slip on you like the looks of. That will give just a bit more noise and loose 6-7 lbs.
From the little playing I did most of the noise is suppressed by the bread box.
2017 Z900

Offline DirtGearTV

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:57:29 PM
Ya I really dont mind the stock looks, mainly wanted little extra sound, performance, weight savings would be nice too. It seems like my two best options would be:  de cat pipe and or just slip-on

I think the cat delete would likely improve performance and sound more but id hate to chop up my factory system with warranty 🤔

Kinda leaving a slip-on as the only real option...Except I hear they dont really change sound much?

Online cjskinner

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:31 PM
Small cans change the sound a little bit
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline TricksOfTheTrey

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900 / Ninja 300
  • Town / City: Houston
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 04:32:11 PM
A shorty exhaust or the $8 exhaust will do exactly what you're asking for. I was looking for the same solution as you and originally thought the $8 exhaust was cheap and stupid. With such a low price, just try it. I ended up loving it and will stick with this for good...unless I decide to run a full CS system later but I doubt it because I don't want to change too many things or worry about a tune or changes in low or mid range torque.