Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Double stack headlights mod  (Read 1660 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Tudtran

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 194
  • Town / City: Johnstown
  • Country: us
Double stack headlights mod
on: March 30, 2020, 02:16:20 AM
What do you guy think of the double stacked headlights?
I'm thinking it be pretty sick on a z900.
Plus i'm hoping to get better air flow for ivan's airbox mod.




Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2278
  • Country: 00
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:29:30 AM
 I think that could work!  :028:
 Have you done the mods? Drilled extra holes?

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Posts: 4001
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:09 PM
There'd be a bunch of wires exposed behind but depending on your light units you could see an improvement in night time vision.
Me, I'm partial to the old Triumph round bug-eye side by side unit.
There's also that shield shaped European headlight unit that's popular.

Offline superpig

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 348
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
  • Country: gb
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:40:17 PM
ZXR400 / ZX6R / ZX10R / Z900

www.instagram.com/motomatt46

Devilishly fiery and combustable, strictly for masochists, the unhindged and those with reckless bravado.

Offline zed9

  • Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • *
  • Posts: 4001
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:43:34 PM
*Originally Posted by superpig [+]
Hahahahaha 👍

Offline Tudtran

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 194
  • Town / City: Johnstown
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:11 PM
I got a used airbox from ebay and drilled the holes.
I have NOT take it to the dyno yet.
I have been testing the airflow with a smoke machine from Halloween and a high speed fan.
Though my observation, I saw air turbulent build up on the corner edges of the airbox when the fan is on low and medium speed. Turbulent seem to go away when I removed the headlight.
I have been looking at many options. The double stacked seem to be the best option for functionality.

Any other ideas?

Note: I did the tests with the fuel tank off because I can't see with the tank on. 
Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:49:20 PM by Tudtran

Offline Tudtran

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 194
  • Town / City: Johnstown
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:58:28 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
There'd be a bunch of wires exposed behind but depending on your light units you could see an improvement in night time vision.
Me, I'm partial to the old Triumph round bug-eye side by side unit.
There's also that shield shaped European headlight unit that's popular.

The bug eyes unit is also my favorite too. Maybe I will test that unit too.   

Offline Cazzy_R

  • Z900 God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2278
  • Country: 00
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:07:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Tudtran [+]
I got a used airbox from ebay and drilled the holes.
I have NOT take it to the dyno yet.
I have been testing the airflow with a smoke machine from Halloween and a high speed fan.
Though my observation, I saw air turbulent build up on the corner edges of the airbox when the fan is on low and medium speed. Turbulent seem to go away when I removed the headlight.
I have been looking at many options. The double stacked seem to be the best option for functionality.

Any other ideas?

Note: I did the tests with the fuel tank off because I can't see with the tank on.

 I have also bought a used airbox from ebay, it should arrive by Thursday.
 My intention is to use the two short trumpets from each air-box to make up a set of 4 and remove the divider in the lid.
 I will have to see it in the flesh before I can decide where best to put any additional holes which won't suck in hot air which is why I was curious about what you had done.
The smoke machine is a great idea!  :028:                                                                                                                                                                                 

Offline Tudtran

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 194
  • Town / City: Johnstown
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 11:04:09 PM
Oh crap. The headlight was delivered on 4/9 at 10:35am in the mailbox. The mailbox was empty. WTF!   

Offline Tudtran

  • Z900 Pro
  • ***
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Posts: 194
  • Town / City: Johnstown
  • Country: us
Re: Double stack headlights mod
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 11:06:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I have also bought a used airbox from ebay, it should arrive by Thursday.
 My intention is to use the two short trumpets from each air-box to make up a set of 4 and remove the divider in the lid.
 I will have to see it in the flesh before I can decide where best to put any additional holes which won't suck in hot air which is why I was curious about what you had done.
The smoke machine is a great idea!  :028:                                                                                                                                                                                 

You will noticed the weight saving from removing the divider in the lid.