Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headers without tune  (Read 470 times)

Offline Z900 Love

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Headers without tune
on: April 22, 2020, 07:54:40 PM
I know this has to gotten beaten to death but is the consensus still that it's ok to run headers without a tune?

Also, do you get a cel from removing the cat?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Headers without tune
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 08:03:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Z900 Love [+]
I know this has to gotten beaten to death but is the consensus still that it's ok to run headers without a tune?

Also, do you get a cel from removing the cat?

Thanks in advance for any help!
RE 2017-2019 Z900. Its been dyno proven that installing a full exhaust doesn't "require" a tune to make it safe. You can run a flash or custom dyno tune if you want to maximize power potential.

You do not get a CEL or any code if you remove CAT...but you will if you eliminate the O2 sensor or remove the PAIR system. If you plan to remove/eliminate the CAT and/or PAIR, you need to have the appropriate bypass plug (resistor).

We aren't sure about the 2020 Z900 since its a new ECU (profile). Hopefully someone gets on on the dyno with proper logging.

Offline Z900 Love

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
Awesome, thank you for the reply! I do plan on tuning eventually, just not something I want to jump in right away.

Is removing the PAIR the same as capping off the AIS? I'm not new to bikes, but new to modding them, a little overwhelming haha.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 08:45:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Z900 Love [+]
Is removing the PAIR the same as capping off the AIS? I'm not new to bikes, but new to modding them, a little overwhelming haha.

Yes its the same thing - AIS/PAIR system. You can simply plug it with a marble, or if you want a bit of weight saving, you can remove the whole system and install block off plates and a resistor.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Arorao11

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: San Antonio
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 02:10:34 AM
Local Dyno yet shop told me it would be a waste of money unless i am tracking the bike to Tune it! Here is my set up! No tune