Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Modified Airbox  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Modified Airbox
on: April 26, 2020, 05:49:12 PM
Being unable to ride during lock down I dedicated some time to modifying an eBay airbox.
Ivan's Performance increased the air box flow into a Z900RS with good results so thought I could do similar.
Ivan drilled 8x20mm holes in the 'RS airbox to achieve the increased surface area. The Z900 'box isn't the same and I wasn't convinced I could get the best results just drilling holes.
I wanted the additional inlets to be at the front because that is where there is the best chance of gathering cooler and cleaner air but because the Z900 air intakes are also at the front(/top) of the airbox I was concerned that adding inlets up front would interfere with the flow from the stock inlets.
The aluminium deflector arrangement is intended to separate the original and additional intake streams, prevent interference and reduce turbulence, That's the theory anyway. :034:
Area of the additional inlets is about 20% greater than Ivan's 8 holes but that will drop when I add some mesh.
Will do some comparison tests after lock down and if the outcome is positive and it doesn't kill the the bottom end and mid range I'll get the bike dyno'd and flashed with the modified box.
I might be ace or it might be sh*te but total outlay so far is less than 50 with the added bonus that the airbox came with a filter element with less that 600 miles on it.  :821:
I also cut out the airbox lid divider and will run with the 4 short trumpets as Ivan did.

Pics below.

Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:05:16 PM by Cazzy_R
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Modified Airbox
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 05:59:10 PM
Be interested to hear the results. You think that just the 4 short trumpets would make much difference on their own without the additional inlets youve created?
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:31:38 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Be interested to hear the results. You think that just the 4 short trumpets would make much difference on their own without the additional inlets youve created?

I don't know. Possibly if the stock airbox flows well enough.  :027:
4 short stacks should favour top end power but only if there is enough air flow and fuel to match.
Ivan's dyno curves back that up but he also says that the 'RS benefited overall from running the 4 short stacks. I don't notice any significant losses lower down on his curves.
The "short" RS stacks look longer than the Z900 "short" stacks though. Another variable,  :034:
Cazzy_R

Offline Simoncrp

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: LONDON
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:31:22 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't take your bike for a spin. You would still be socially isolating. I have to say, when I went out today, there were loads of bikes out on the roads.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 09:17:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Simoncrp [+]
I don't see any reason why you can't take your bike for a spin. You would still be socially isolating. I have to say, when I went out today, there were loads of bikes out on the roads.

Because unless youre commuting or going food/medicine shopping, its unnecessary travel which isnt allowed atm.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 09:50:24 PM
 Regretfully I  mentioning lockdown to add some context but now wished I hadn't.  :012:
 There is a Covid-19 thread if I'm not mistaken.  :015:
Cazzy_R

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:13 PM
Nice...never a bad idea to experiment.

I've been trying to get more air in the airbox but without putting holes on bottom or sides. Because when in traffic or slower speeds, heat coming off the engine could dramatically increase IAT and thus cause timing to get retarded (function of ECU). Likely not an issue in cooler stated but down here it would be a very big problem. The S1KRR have this a similar issue but those people tackle the "fix" in a very odd way.

BTW: As for your  lock-down problem. Make up a grocery list of very esoteric foods and if you get pulled over, show him your shopping list that only a few places or distant farms would carry  :007: Riding a MC is one of the best things to do during these times. I've done close to 1,600 miles this month alone...clear roads but unfortunately all parks are closed and lunch stops are carry out only so its give and take.
Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:04:37 PM by Frontline

Offline Tudtran

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Johnstown
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:43 PM
Good job. Very nice set up. The z900rs airbox mod doesn't work for well for the z900 airbox.
I was planning on getting a z900rs airbox's lid and modified the z900 lower similar to z1000 airbox. The opening will be about 19% bigger that OEM z900.

Let me know the result. I rather do your mod.

Offline Livinfree

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Manchester
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:48:58 AM
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I couldnt find any info about this on the standard z900 either.
About 2 months ago I took a gamble that the z900rs velocity stacks sold on brocks performance may fit on the z900 airbox and have the same effect and as they were only about 30  seemed like there wasnt much downside either way. After installing it appeared to feel better higher up in the revs but that may just be me imagining it. Either way, it didnt have a negative impact and especially after I had it remapped just after, it did increase the sound from the airbox slightly and give a nicer intake sound.

Offline zrx4me

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: florida
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 02:13:10 AM
sure wish ivan would do the Z900, but lately he does very few bikes.