Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Modified Airbox  (Read 2275 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Modified Airbox
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 03:43:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Livinfree [+]
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I couldnt find any info about this on the standard z900 either.
About 2 months ago I took a gamble that the z900rs velocity stacks sold on brocks performance may fit on the z900 airbox and have the same effect and as they were only about 30  seemed like there wasnt much downside either way. After installing it appeared to feel better higher up in the revs but that may just be me imagining it. Either way, it didnt have a negative impact and especially after I had it remapped just after, it did increase the sound from the airbox slightly and give a nicer intake sound.

I cant see any negatives there. If you havent noticed any drop in the low end, gained at the top end and mapped fine with it, then all good. Plus I love the intake growl on the bike. Have you got a full system? If so, can you still hear the intake over the exhaust? Not that it would stop me from doing it, but Id like to still be able to hear it over a full system when I get round to fitting one.

*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Regretfully I  mentioning lockdown to add some context but now wished I hadn't.  :012:
 There is a Covid-19 thread if I'm not mistaken.  :015:

Lol Cazzy, not going to get into a debate over it, was just answering the question.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 04:14:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Livinfree [+]
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I couldnt find any info about this on the standard z900 either.
About 2 months ago I took a gamble that the z900rs velocity stacks sold on brocks performance may fit on the z900 airbox and have the same effect and as they were only about 30  seemed like there wasnt much downside either way. After installing it appeared to feel better higher up in the revs but that may just be me imagining it. Either way, it didnt have a negative impact and especially after I had it remapped just after, it did increase the sound from the airbox slightly and give a nicer intake sound.
Good info Livinfree. Thanks.
How does the length of Brock trumpets compare to the Z900 shorties?
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Abelopes

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 17' Z900 Green
  • Town / City: Vila Nova de Gaia
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 11:37:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

Sorry to jump in, but I thought I'd share my experience with a modified airbox.
I Drilled a hole on both sides of the airbox (2CM diameter) and removed the grill on the stock air filter, while I didn't money for a MWR Filter.

Worked well for 15K quilometers, although it did pop veeery much.

Yesterday, I finally changed the brake rotors (OEMs developed an enormous play on the floating rotors and Kawasaki just middle fingered me) for Braking one's, spark plugs (cylinder 2-4 are easy, first one can be tedious without proper tools), installed the MWR air filter and gave her a clean.

The bike hesitated on lower revs, but from 4k upwards ran beautifully. Unfortunately, the engine light came on and shot up codes 52 and 53.
Had to gaffer tape the airbox (while I'm trying to source a new one) and now it's runs sweet.

ECU mapping is quite expensive over here, so I'll have to wait and save some money to then tune, and probably leave the holes open.
I wrote this so that anyone that's planning a DIY job can read what might happen.

Having said that, can anyone help me regarding the engine light? I've tried removing the negative plug from the battery during the night, turning it on and off a couple of times and drive slowly (below 40 kph) and this morning I gave her an extensive beating and didn't work as well. Any tips?

Thank you and enjoy your Z.  :152:
17' Z900 Green
00' GSF Bandit 600 Red

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 01:14:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Abelopes [+]
Hello Everyone,

Sorry to jump in, but I thought I'd share my experience with a modified airbox.
I Drilled a hole on both sides of the airbox (2CM diameter) and removed the grill on the stock air filter, while I didn't money for a MWR Filter.

Worked well for 15K quilometers, although it did pop veeery much.

Yesterday, I finally changed the brake rotors (OEMs developed an enormous play on the floating rotors and Kawasaki just middle fingered me) for Braking one's, spark plugs (cylinder 2-4 are easy, first one can be tedious without proper tools), installed the MWR air filter and gave her a clean.

The bike hesitated on lower revs, but from 4k upwards ran beautifully. Unfortunately, the engine light came on and shot up codes 52 and 53.
Had to gaffer tape the airbox (while I'm trying to source a new one) and now it's runs sweet.

ECU mapping is quite expensive over here, so I'll have to wait and save some money to then tune, and probably leave the holes open.
I wrote this so that anyone that's planning a DIY job can read what might happen.

Having said that, can anyone help me regarding the engine light? I've tried removing the negative plug from the battery during the night, turning it on and off a couple of times and drive slowly (below 40 kph) and this morning I gave her an extensive beating and didn't work as well. Any tips?

Thank you and enjoy your Z.  :152:

Feel free to jump in. Sharing real world experience is always welcome. At least by me.

Service Code 52 = stick Coil #2 Malfunction, wiring open or short.
Service Code 53 = stick Coil #3 Malfunction, wiring open or short.

Could it possibly have been caused by something to do with the maintenance rather than your air box holes?
Maybe the coils are not fully located?

Cazzy_R

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 02:20:12 AM
Could it possibly have been caused by something to do with the maintenance rather than your air box holes?

If it worked for 15k then after your service things acted up ... I have agree with Cazzy
2017 Z900

Offline Abelopes

• Z900 Member
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 08:10:39 AM
Feel free to jump in. Sharing real world experience is always welcome. At least by me.

Thank you for your info!! They seemed to be to in place, and I rode the bike the whole morning without any issues.
But this is a huge help, I'll take her apart this evening and see what happens.

Thank you!
17' Z900 Green
00' GSF Bandit 600 Red

Offline Abelopes

• Z900 Member
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 01:34:02 PM

So then: Turns out you were right! the 2nd and 3rd cylinder coil sticks weren't properly plugged.  You have to really push on them.  :008:
Removed the gaffer tape, and she's running great. You can hear a a bit more induction noise, and seems to be pulling harder.

Yet, I still have the engine light on. I'll be going to the dealership in a couple of hours to see if they'll reset me on the spot.

I'll post some final feedback in due time!

Thank you!!
17' Z900 Green
00' GSF Bandit 600 Red

Offline Abelopes

• Z900 Member
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 03:05:43 PM

Okay then, final part of my monologue: Went to the dealership, they ran the computer and everything is good.  :028:
Apparently, from what they told me, the ECU isn't smart enough to reset fault codes on their own. It registers them, but can't erase them.  :084:

Bike's running sweet, I have my long waited MWR Filter and the airbox modded. Good days on my Zed. Thank you fellas!

17' Z900 Green
00' GSF Bandit 600 Red

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 03:28:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Abelopes [+]
Bike's running sweet, I have my long waited MWR Filter and the airbox modded. Good days on my Zed. Thank you fellas!

:028:

Gaffer tape still on?  :027:
Cazzy_R

Offline bambam

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Exeter
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 03:35:53 PM
You reset the codes by riding it.
It’s in the service manual.

Best colour z9 by the way
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:37:58 PM by bambam