Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Z900 shift question  (Read 715 times)

Offline Hyperone88

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Southeast
New Z900 shift question
on: May 14, 2020, 05:24:25 AM
Hello Everyone, Picked up my new 2020 Z900 today and left them my Suzuki GSX-S... It seems to be a very smooth bike compared to the Suzuki I traded in. I noticed while stopped/engine running, shifting out of neutral to first I’d have to slightly roll the bike a inch or so to get it to engage at times, it doesn’t happen constantly. It’s only got 50 miles on it. I checked the clutch lever free-play and it’s about a nickel/2mm at the lever perch. It shifts well though. This may be normal for these bikes or it’s just new and needs to break in. Thanks for any input!!!
Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:01:55 AM by Hyperone88

Offline mininsx

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: '17 Z900, '19 SV650
  • Town / City: Central Kentucky
Re: New Z900 shift question
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:27:15 PM
I rarely shift to neutral while sitting at a light because if I'm about to be rear-ended I'd like the option of moving out of the way. Try shifting all the way to first then to neutral and see if your problem clears up.

Offline ras

• Z900 God
  • Is What It Is
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Central Vermont
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:42:34 PM
*Originally Posted by mininsx [+]
I rarely shift to neutral while sitting at a light because if I'm about to be rear-ended I'd like the option of moving out of the way.

Same here ....
2017 Z900

Offline zeta

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Lohja
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:14:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Hyperone88 [+]
This may be normal for these bikes or its just new and needs to break in.

It is normal. I had a little bit of that too when the bike was new, now @26000 km I don't remember having that problem for a while.

Offline Hyperone88

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:46:43 PM
I never use neutral while riding on the roads, the weather got much colder yesterday evening than I expected and it was a 50 mile ride. I pulled over several times to warm up. Id restart the bike and shift it to neutral so it could warm back up and thats when I noticed it. Warming the bike is about the only time I use neutral. Thanks

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:43:38 AM
It is normal.  One way to minimise it is to pull clutch lever and wait 2-3-4 seconds before shift into first

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 09:44:51 PM
Its normal.

When the input and output shafts arent spinning (clutch disengaged), when you give input to shift to first, the shift drum is trying move the shift forks to to engage the gearsets for first gear with the driven gears; if the gear dogs are not lined up with the slots in the adjoining gears, the shift cannot be completed.  Thats why you have to rock the bike slightly; the countershaft turns (since its connected to the back wheel via the chain) and allows the gears to rotate slightly until the dogs line up and the shift will complete.  When your moving and shifting between gears this does not occur.  As your gearbox and clutch get some miles and wear on them, this will diminish somewhat.

I also dont recommend sitting at lights in neutral; I saw a bike with a passenger rear ended once doing that, and the passenger was killed.  Stay in gear and keep an eye in your mirrors; if youre behind another car, leave yourself a gap for escape.

Sarge

Offline Sarge

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Atlanta
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:05:38 PM
Id like to add another tidbit of info:

Check the geometry between the shift pawl on the shift shaft (part on splined shaft, ahead of the shift pedal, that the linkage rod is connected to) and the ear on the shift pedal (where the other end of the shift rod is attached).  You want the angle of the shift pawl and the ear on the shift pedal to be at roughly the same angle.  That way, there is equal travel (amount of rotation of the shift pawl/shift shaft) for both up shifts and down shifts.  If you adjust the length of the shift rod (to lower or raise the shift peg of the shift pedal) you could throw this geometry off and have more travel for downshifts vs up shifts, or vice versa (this will cause shifting problems such as false neutrals between shifts, hard finding neutral, etc.) because the shift shaft is moving farther in one direction than the other.  If you adjust the shift rod length, look at this relationship, and if its off, you may have to loosen/remove the pinch bolt on the shift pawl, remove it, and rotate a few splines and reinstall to get the angles close, and readjust the rod for fine tuning the angles and height of the shift pedal.  I hope that makes sense; hard to explain without a visual aid.

I guess in short, once your shift pedal height is adjusted where you want, the angle of the shift pawl and the ear on the shift pedal (where the rod is attached) should be pointed at the same clock position (4 oclock, 5 oclock, etc.).  Optimally, to have perfect resolution/travel, youd want the ear/pawl 90 degrees in relation to the rod, but as long as theyre at the same angle, your shifts will be much better, and more positive.

Sarge

Offline Hyperone88

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 10:53:18 PM
Sarge, I must say this is some awesome detailed information you posted, thanks for the additional tips as well. Sure this will be helpful for others too. Thank you!!

Offline JP948cc

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Baltimore
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:13 PM
Its normal my last bike did this too so I am just used to it I guess. Another way to circumvent this besides what else was mentioned above is to let the clutch out slightly then shift into first when you feel it locking you out.