Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Loving My Z, GoPro, And Living In The Thick Of It  (Read 731 times)

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Upstate SC
I have not been on the forum for quite awhile, am going through my GoPro videos, making snapshots from the footage which I like to do, and thought I would post a few. Also there is not a day that goes by that I am not luvin my Z and the area I live which is in the SC, NC mountains. The Z900 is the perfect bike to have living in the twisties. Man it handles so well, so smooth, and the torque puts a perma grin on my face. People travel from all over the world to ride "The Gap", Smokies etc but the roads in this area I believe offer more to enjoy with waterfalls, parks, etc. Having kind of "Counting My Blessings" sort of day sitting here wishing the rain would stop so I can ride.

The Big silver lining of the "Virus" is I have had the roads pretty much to myself for months as well. I mean when can you ride your motorcycle up to get a photo in front of Looking Glass Falls? Certainly not before all this insanity started. The last couple months have been a motorcyclists dream. Anyway, I hope everyone is well and able to get out and ride.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Loving My Z, GoPro, And Living In The Thick Of It
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:19:45 AM
*Originally Posted by SCrider [+]
sitting here wishing the rain would stop so I can ride.
For the last 7 days and 7 more days the rains up those parts killed my plan B. Having said that, the past weekend was clear and there must have been 100 Camero's for a gathering at the Gap. It was a sh1t show... Because of the mandatory recent past with lock-down in those parts...now that they are open, everyone under the sun is going there so I've been making a fresh itinerary.

Plan A was to ride TN/NC in mid/late April when air temps are nice. Now its looking like June with the heat. If weather doesn't cooperate, I may just wait till Fall (Sep/Oct).

The entire Chattahoochee, Nantahala, Pisgah and Cherokee...impossible to find a bad road.

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:15:32 PM
Thanks for the response. Honestly I did not expect any as this type of post usually seems to be frowned up for some reason on forums like this. I would go into the many reasons I believe so but will bite my tongue. I will just say I would be here more often if there were more people who like to share their adventurist spirit like I do. Guess there's a lot of commuters who aren't adventuring at all on their Z unfortunately and could care less about mine.

I hear ya about the rain and the Gap. More and more Miatas, Vets, Mini Coopers, the list is long with the cars and, Oh man, can the Harleys stop going to places like that to show us just how little riding skills they have and that Hardleys aren't made for the twisties? Pathetic. You might as well be behind some grandma in a Pinto if your stuck behind a (Oh Halloween is in October) dressed up kind of Hardley Dude.

I tried staying at Ironhorse and they told me Buncombe Co. is closed so you could not even go to there from the south. Yep same county as the DRY one. What's wrong with these people?? I asked how many cases the county had? Zero!! I hope they come to their senses like everyone else in the world and open back up as in NOW. Morons.

Thanks for the response, appreciate it and wish you well.
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:48:37 PM by SCrider

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:29:42 PM
Some of us have half of the year with snow on the road so not much to share.

I don't have any big ride yet in 2020. Just a few with my brother, my parents and alone. I'll have a few good shoots to share with this forum in a month from the east coast of Canada.

Otherwise nice pictures! Look like fun twisties
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline zrx4me

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: florida
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:32 AM
The Z900 is a hellava bike. My short list is down to a 2020 Z900, 2018 leftover Z900RS cafe and believe it or not a leftover CBR1000RR. And then, I may wait to see what comes in 2021.
Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:34:49 AM by zrx4me

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 01:29:55 AM
Sheeeet, I'm always willing and like discussing (and seeing) rides around East TN and West NC. Lush green forests, water falls every few miles, roads designed for motorcycles. If I could, I'd move there yesterday  :020:

The only thing I will say about HD riders on the Tail is they generally move over pretty quickly when I roll up on them at 3x/4x their speed. But yea, to watch them come into a turn at 10mph drives me crazy because if not timed right, throws off my pace and line. Trick with that place is before 10am or after 6pm. Outside of that, you will not get a clean run. Cherohala is seldom a problem and always nice...especially if you take the detour into Bald River to end and back. Would be nice change to take an ADV bike to take all those many back-roads. I've been deep in there where pavement ends down to 1/2 lane.

About access to Ironhorse....as of two weeks or more back, yea, roads East and South of the Gap were closed (129, 28, ect) to public (locals only). The reason is there is only one hospital that covers a large zone and they would be unable to handle covid-19 issues. So they took the easy way out and shut down. That's now changed. The roads are open and even the Blue Ridge is finally open (heading into Ash).

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:41:42 AM
Sheeeet, I'm always willing and like discussing (and seeing) rides around East TN and West NC. Lush green forests, water falls every few miles, roads designed for motorcycles. If I could, I'd move there yesterday  :020: And coming from me who loves and breathes the Ocean ....thats a big deal.

The only thing I will say about HD riders on the Tail is they generally move over pretty quickly when I roll up on them at 3x/4x their speed. But yea, to watch them come into a turn at 10mph drives me crazy because if not timed right, throws off my pace and line. Trick with that place is before 10am or after 6pm. Outside of that, you will not get a clean run. Cherohala is seldom a problem and always nice...especially if you take the detour into Bald River to end and back. Would be nice change to take an ADV bike to take all those many back-roads. I've been deep in there where pavement ends down to 1/2 lane.

About access to Ironhorse....as of two weeks or more back, yea, roads East and South of the Gap were closed (129, 28, ect) to public (locals only). The reason is there is only one hospital that covers a large zone and they would be unable to handle covid-19 issues. So they took the easy way out and shut down. That's now changed. The roads are open and even the Blue Ridge is finally open (heading into Ash).

Offline SCrider

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 07:56:45 PM
That is great news that they opened up the county. I probably would have already had a couple trips up that way under my belt by now. Its depressing when your Google photos keep popping up and its pictures of last years trips there. I will be heading out there soon now that it is opened. Makes sense about the hospital situation. Given their strict religious beliefs with no alcohol in the county etc. (Major PIA)  I thought some might actually like keeping the riders out as long as possible. It seems there are a lot of governors who like abusing their power and the constitution during this insanity for no justified reason and I though they might be on that bandwagon. I am sure the explosion of motorcycles, now cars, etc. that have invaded their space each year, even given the economic prosperity it brings, is not enough for many to be happy to what has become of their once quiet mountain town over the last 25 years.

I started going in 1994 when they handed out paper maps at the Honda Hoot, before the internet or phones etc. and have been going back most every year. Now that I am about 100 miles from there I go at least twice a year. Have stayed all over but like Ironhorse for its location and amenities. Below is a photo back in 1994. The beginning of The Tree of Shame as well. Unbelievable what has become of that place now.

True about the Harleys usually pulling over but like many great events around the country they have taken over and for the most part with the straight pipes etc. it has not been a good thing in my opinion. And that goes for any motorcyclist who puts their selfish behavior ahead of the people it effects. If I was a local I would not be too happy about what's happened there either. Thanks to those who responded and I hope that good weather comes your way soon up there in Canada as well.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 12:45:12 AM
I don't know about the politics and beliefs in those parts. I have only issues with anything radical/extreme concerning those two things.

Only 100 miles away? Sh1t, we ride twice that just to grab some lunch when we ride :002: Honestly, I'd be there every weekend without hesitation. Heck, even picking up 28 from Walhalla and ride up is enough and much closer to you (aka Moonshiner 28).

Forgot to add this. Yeah, the tree has more "parts" on it now...lucky for me none of those are mine (but not for the lack of trying).
Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:50:58 AM by Frontline

Offline savedzrex

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: ZRX1200 Versys 1000
  • Town / City: Tallahassee
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 02:02:05 PM
Cool old photo.........we had a trip planned for this week mainly of bunch ZRX people .  A few may still be up running around in the North Georgia area & the skyway.

Time to get things opened and moving.  It looks like we will go up first week in October.   :047: :047: :305: :305:
Let the Good Times Roll...........Amen