Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Auto tune o2 sensor fit question  (Read 202 times)

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Salina, Kansas
Auto tune o2 sensor fit question
on: May 22, 2020, 12:02:36 AM
Hey gang

Question for anyone who has used the auto tune module for power commander: does the autotune modules O2 sensor fit in either the stock bung or delkevic full system bung?  Im installing delkevic headers but the stock o2 sensor fits in the delkevic so I figure its the same size. 

Thanks in advance

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Re: Auto tune o2 sensor fit question
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:23:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Leto_II [+]
Hey gang

Question for anyone who has used the auto tune module for power commander: does the autotune modules O2 sensor fit in either the stock bung or delkevic full system bung?  Im installing delkevic headers but the stock o2 sensor fits in the delkevic so I figure its the same size. 

Thanks in advance
May I give you a suggestion...

Because you live in an area without any real elevation change, I would say scrap the idea of using PC5 and the added Autotune module (autotune is great for those riding in very high and low elevations). You will spend more money doing that and get less out of it because you will only be able to do one thing, control fuel (adding a 3rd module for ignition will make it all very expensive). I'm not against what Dynojet offers but not when other options are better out the box. Ironically, I like a PC5 in a very complex flashed ECU setup...but that's a whole different story. The Z900's are not like some other bikes that desperately need fuel remapping in order to make them safe, smooth or unlock its limiters. Heck, they run perfectly fine with a full exhaust on stock ECU.

Flashing an OEM ECU will give you more gains because it not only adjust fuel maps, but ignition timing and cooling fans (and more). Besides, running a open loop setup is more reliable because if your O2 sensor fails or goes out of spec, it will not cause rogue fuel control (wash cylinder walls, poor gas mileage, ect.). No tuner worth anything will run closed loop all the time (ie. autotune). I've used it in past to get a fuel map started but very quickly (one log) locked it down as an open loop. Closed loop is fine for generic cars.

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:55 AM
Very cool, Tha k you  for taking the time to give thoughtful advice.  Tbh, I'm not a tip of the spear, super skilled racer.  I have ridden many years, but largely in a commuter setting, and the bike has more than enough power stock, at least for my capabilities.  The day I straight up outride this thing will be a good day, but its a ways off.

The pcv seemed the plug and play option for me, but then I saw that the maps available did not differentiate between stock and high flow air filters.  And didnt seem to have much granularity.  So for relatively cheap (I got mine for under 7k otd in March-putting a grand in upgrades in still makes it a damn bargain) a pcv and autotune combo seemed to be the ting to get the map dialed in for me and my riding and then turn the autotune off (or at least stop using it).  Getting more power out was never really my goal, but I wouldnt argue with it if it happened🤷‍♂️.

I like tinkering and I hated the stock exhaust note, and was under the impression I needed to do something similar (ecu tune, PCv) for a full exhaust system.  If Im being really honest with myself there may also be a component of getting caught up in the fun of oooh cool new shiny thing to do to the bike

So would you suggest the whole pcv/autotune thing is unecessary?  Or bite the bullet and send off my ecu?  I know 2wdw is having a covid sale and doing it for 250.

Again thank you for your time.
N

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:16 AM
So would you suggest the whole pcv/autotune thing is unecessary?

You must have missed this part....
*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
I would say scrap the idea of using PC5 and the added Autotune module

I mean, with the autotune you are adding complexity and trying to solve a problem that doesn't exists or need to be solved. Like I already said, you can run the ECU untouched with a full exhaust but for only $250 (special) you can flash your ECU and potentially unlock a little bit more.

You want a oooh cool new shiny thing to do to the bike... Then why not work on upgrading the suspension. You will easily get more out of that than anything else you couple possible do to the Z900.
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:56:06 AM by Frontline

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:09 PM
Great advice man.

Absolutely not arguing, more asking for clarification.  I appreciate your experience.  The problem Im running into is a lot of the information sources for this type of stuff pay their bills by selling these bits and bobs haha. 

I meant that whole new shiny thing as a fallacy on my part not a good thing haha.  Just like ol John Hammond, have the tendency to get caught up in the can I rather than the should I😅.

Id be very happy to just sell the pcv and autotune if it wont meaningfully harm the life of the bike to run the full system with stock fueling and maybe flash the ecu when it looks like weather or work will keep me from riding a few days anyway.

I did order some power 5s and a fork cartridge kit and some heavier oil from andreani but the rear seems great for my 175lbs with gear and riding level, and I totally agree that the bike/road interface is a better place to put effort and cash if either are limited.  (Un)Fortunately, while my gyms are closed here and grappling tournaments are all canceled, Ive got a bit of extra hobby time🤬🤬🤬.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:43:31 PM
I did order some power 5s and a fork cartridge kit
Huge improvement upgrading the tires! I have the Power RS (now called Power GP) and really like them a lot. Once you get then on the sides, they are like gummie bear soft.

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:22 PM
Awesome man thanks for the tips.

Legitimately do appreciate your time and expertise.