Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank bag with strap for mounting  (Read 585 times)

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Dallas
Tank bag with strap for mounting
on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:10 PM
Has anyone mounted a tank bag with straps?  I have my Cortech Super 2.0 12L  that I used on the R3 (it had a plastic tank cover), but haven't found any good way to loop the front straps through.    You'll see how congested it is with the ABS brake lines running across some of the frame openings.  If you've managed to mount with straps, could you please respond with some photos to show strap routing? 

In the meantime, I was able to mount it as a tail bag, so see pictures of my handiwork.  I like the bungee as there is constant tension on the bag pulling it down.  When i used the adjustable straps I could still move the bag around.  Pulling down on the bag does impact how much you can cram into it, so with the bungee it can kind of self adjust.  Brake light is still visible with the strap or bungee.  Stock fender is doing a nice job of a tie down point.  I'm not a fan of wrapping one of the straps around the rear tail plastic between the seat pads; need to keep it clear for the seat locking bar.  I have yet to ride with this, thanks rain. 

Actually just had an idea after typing all this out. Going under the frame right above the radiator with the strap.  I tried it before, but if i take the bag off, the straps are really loose and will flop around.  But if I ride with the bag off i can just undo the velcro and remove the strap from around the frame. 

I am considering some of the tank lock systems like Givi or SW-Motech. 

Happy Memorial Day you folks in the States!  Cheers to everyone else!

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: Tank bag with strap for mounting
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:07:28 PM
Okay, i'm just strap illiterate.  I swear I've only had a few beers this Memorial Day.  So tank bag is on proper now. 

Had to make sure the strap was above the steering stop.  The velcro straps that hold the two straps together are a bit in the way of the ignition.  Screen is not blocked at all. 

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:10:04 AM
Lol, youre watching Teapotone. Ive followed him for a good while now, have you watched the round the world series?

On the tank bag issue, is that bag Im direct contact with the paintwork? Personally I use a Givi tank bag with the tank ring on the fuel cap. Brilliant system, quick release and no contact with the paintwork. Worth a look if youre not happy with your current setup. The SW motech kit is also really good, but its quite expensive.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 01:44:40 AM
I have the huge givi one. It can touch the tank if you fill it. Otherwise I love it. My tank is protected with with some transparent film.

Looks like your tail bag could be attached with the passenger peg if you still have them
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:36 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Lol, youre watching Teapotone. Ive followed him for a good while now, have you watched the round the world series?

On the tank bag issue, is that bag Im direct contact with the paintwork? Personally I use a Givi tank bag with the tank ring on the fuel cap. Brilliant system, quick release and no contact with the paintwork. Worth a look if youre not happy with your current setup. The SW motech kit is also really good, but its quite expensive.

The bag is in contact with the tank.  The bag sits on it's own mounting base pad.  The bottom of it is pretty soft and I don't think it'll scratch the tank.  Hey, this'll show my age, remember car bra's?  People would install them and leave them on, then when they took them off the paint under the car bra was all scratched up.  They never took it off to clean the small dirt and dust out.  Since I don't ride with it on all the time, I will spray the tank with some spray car wash when I take off the bag ; only the buckle down by your groin stays.  Looking to get some Tech Spec tank grips anyway, so the center pad should protect from that buckle.  I may switch to a ring mount later.  Looking at a top case to commute to work since i have a workstation laptop, and don't fee like being stuck in Dallas traffic with that on my back in the summer.  Did that on the R3 and hated it.  Ended up strapping my backpack to the pillion seat, but the Z900 seat is much smaller. 

Re. Teapotone, I just found out about his show.  I follow 44Teeth and saw that they were on his show, so gave it a listen.  Also follow UsernameKate, and saw she was on there, so I'm following TPO now.  I do need to go through all his previous stuff, didn't realize it was more than just the Bru Time Podcast.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:40:52 PM
Yeah he does loads of videos. He was a police officer until recently. Someone saw a video he put up and complained to the police about a police officer blatantly speeding. He ended up resigning and now just does blogging full time. A few years back he rode round the world on a GSXR 1000. Great series to watch. I also follow 44teeth amongst others.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline ProfJeff

• Z900 Pro
  • I don't care what you ride, I care that you ride.
  • Bike: 2019 Z900
  • Town / City: Lexington NC
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 06:34:09 AM
*Originally Posted by turbo_crispy [+]

In the meantime, I was able to mount it as a tail bag, so see pictures of my handiwork.  I like the bungee as there is constant tension on the bag pulling it down.  When i used the adjustable straps I could still move the bag around.  Pulling down on the bag does impact how much you can cram into it, so with the bungee it can kind of self adjust.  Brake light is still visible with the strap or bungee.  Stock fender is doing a nice job of a tie down point.  I'm not a fan of wrapping one of the straps around the rear tail plastic between the seat pads; need to keep it clear for the seat locking bar.  I have yet to ride with this, thanks rain. 

I use a tail bag 95% of the time. I can connect it and disconnect it at work in about 15-20 seconds, while the bike is warming.  Here are pics of a 4-way mount. The main hold down is from the rear foot pegs, so the rear fender which is much weaker is not carrying the weight of the bag. It's a bit hard to see and the bike is 250 miles way, but the straps cross under the seat to the opposite peg. You can see how the forward straps disappear under the seat/pillion, and how there is a strap connected to the foot peg--which is from the opposite side.

I can take a pic from the rear on Thursday--after I ride 300 miles back home on the Raider.
2019 Z900 Moondust Grey and Red, MRA Racing Windscreen

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 03:10:24 PM
*Originally Posted by ProfJeff [+]
I use a tail bag 95% of the time. I can connect it and disconnect it at work in about 15-20 seconds, while the bike is warming.  Here are pics of a 4-way mount. The main hold down is from the rear foot pegs, so the rear fender which is much weaker is not carrying the weight of the bag. It's a bit hard to see and the bike is 250 miles way, but the straps cross under the seat to the opposite peg. You can see how the forward straps disappear under the seat/pillion, and how there is a strap connected to the foot peg--which is from the opposite side.

I can take a pic from the rear on Thursday--after I ride 300 miles back home on the Raider.

Thanks for the pics.  I actually bit the bullet and bought a GIVI luggage rack. I have a workstation laptop for work that in backpack.  The R3 had a much bigger rear seat so it provided a bigger area for my backpack to sit on.  When I rode in I used a Nelson Rigg backpack that had a bunch of tie down points on it.   I plan to use the luggage rack and seat to support the backpack and use the rack and passenger pegs (or under seat) as tied down points.  We'll see how that goes. 

Offline iakona

• Z900 Member
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 02:53:14 AM
For what it's worth I've been using an Alpinestars tech aero tank bag for years. Not sure if it is made any longer but it is about perfect. Comes with a pad zippered on the bottom as to not scratch any surfaces. It has magnets for a metal tank as well as multiple strap options for plastic tanks. Expands quite large too. I have used this bag on week long trips and has worked perfect.