Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Blacked out exhaust/vht method  (Read 421 times)

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Salina, Kansas
Blacked out exhaust/vht method
on: May 26, 2020, 06:54:04 PM
Hey gang,

I finally got my full system installed (delkevic/chiniyoshi).  I wanted to black it out to go with the theme of the bike, but all I read were horror stories about vht flaming and even burning up a forum members bike.

In a past life I was a biochemist, so I did some research on the failure states of these types of ceramic coatings.

What I kept coming back to was that the volatile delivery solvents hadnt outgassed enough, and that motorcycle headers become asymmetrically hot faster than cars.  Despite the assurances of rustoleum and vht, no way am I trusting baking indoors in an oven - Im a lung doc and Ive seen waaaaay to many inhalation injury horror stories to do that lol.

So I gave a day between primer and color coat, with a few light heat gun cycles to speed things up and left a fan over the primed headers overnight.  Then after the final coat I did the same thing, ten or so 5-10 minute heat gun treatments of increasing duration with a fan over the painted pipes.  All of this spread out over three days.

Then the install, and slowly increasing idle run times from 5-10 seconds to 15 minutes over the course of another day.  now Im taking her out for 15-30 minute rides with 30 minute cool downs in between.  Ive had no flaking or discoloration At all. 

Now time/cost wise, it would have been more cost effective to work a shift then pay someone to ceramic coat it, but wheres the fun in doing things the smart efficient way haha.

Anyway Ive seen a ton of debate on this stuff, and only time will tell if it is truly durable, but this method has worked for me and it looks fantastic (I think).   I also managed to rig up some hose clamps and high temp silicone to use the carbon fiber heat shield with the full system.

Now to redo the tank vinyl where I goofed it shell be finally ready for prime time Haha.

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Re: Blacked out exhaust/vht method
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:17:41 AM
Thats badass!
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:21:39 AM
Thanks man!  Now that Ive opened my big mouth Im sure it will all flake off overnight🤷‍♂️

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:50:05 AM
I lost faith in spray can type of header paints long ago and have only dealt with professional ceramic type coatings (ie. Jet-Hot). But to be fair, I haven't revisited the newer consumer spray can options like the "VHT Flameproof" so I'm interested on your long term results (+6 months). Especially if you follow VHT's exact instruction with the heat and paint cycles. Personally, I feel the sand/debris that comes off the front tire will chip the paint and compromise the coating...but thanks for doing the test  :821:

The Delkevic header is highly polished so I hope you took a lot of time to sand them dull, or better yet, sandblasted them. Lots of hidden areas to sand  :232:

BTW: The reason why VHT says to use 3 heat cycles between coats has a lot to do with annealing the solids in paint (rather than solvent evaporation). The "outgassing" issue you describe is true (and a problem), but only because most don't let it evaporate long enough....like waiting 7 days to fully cure. Sadly, like the term "titanium coated", ceramic coating has been overly used in marketing (ie. liquid polymer). True ceramic coating is applied at a molten state (6000F).

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:59:12 AM
 It's a good look for sure.  :028:
 Fingers crossed it stays put,  :821:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 04:19:02 PM
Yep, with the gyms still closed I put a good three hours of  sanding, had a good even satiny finish by the end.

I think the recommended vht heat cycles are enough to anneal the solids in the absence or near absence of colloidal volatiles still in the paint, so I dont see that as the proximate failure point.  I think more drying time, a fan, and lots of mini heat cycles working up to the recommended heat cycles will take care of the volatiles.  I kept a log of the heat/cool cycles I did and timing of costs etc.  Ill take pictures weekly and however it shakes out we will have some hard data (with the caveat of an n=1 test) by fall and can start to draw conclusions on whether its worth it.  It looks the effin business at least 🤷‍♂️.