Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: All the weird stuff when changing wheels  (Read 493 times)

Offline jjjjjjay

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Clarksville
All the weird stuff when changing wheels
on: May 30, 2020, 11:11:00 PM
Ok, not a big deal, but why learn about all the things you need for removing wheels one at a time? Like I did today?

* 14mm hex to loosen front axle, not part of the MotionPro tool...smh
* Headlift front stand required, due to unequal fork lengths
* Headlift pin size is 27mm

Thank you very kindly to members like @ibuchon who posted images and helpful tips along the way.

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Re: All the weird stuff when changing wheels
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:40:57 AM
*Originally Posted by jjjjjjay [+]
....................Headlift front stand required, due to unequal fork lengths...........

I shortened my old stand 10mm on one side and it fits nicely. Also needed to shorten metal pin on that side because  pinchbolt is very close to bottom of the fork.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:52 AM
*Originally Posted by 3alfa3 [+]

I shortened my old stand 10mm on one side and it fits nicely. Also needed to shorten metal pin on that side because  pinchbolt is very close to bottom of the fork.

I like that!  :152:
Not being able to lift the front quick and easy just to wipe the front rim etc. has always been an irritation to me.
I have an ABBA stand with the front lift arm which is unsurpassed for front end access but its a PITA to set up with frame cover removal/refitting etc.
What you say about the pinch bolt is valid though. That location pin must be REALLY short now. Are you happy its secure?
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:12:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
What you say about the pinch bolt is valid though. That location pin must be REALLY short now. Are you happy its secure?

Its secure, i can sit on bike on stands and shake hendlebar slightly, no problem.
Pin is almost nonexistent  :001: ,  you can see that bike rests on plastic part, pin is usually only for guiding the stand into fork anyway.

For cleaning or removing the wheel, winter storage etc - simple, fast and efficient.

Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:25:45 PM by 3alfa3

Offline Rr1982

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Newport
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:08:14 AM
Didn't wanna leave it overnight just on swingarm stand with floor jack under pipes and wood under side stand so I did this.