Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Full aftermarket exhaust system - bogging down on acceleration - fix?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline gary

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Texas
I have a 2020 model and just deleted cat and breadbox .  I used factory header and rear muffler and it runs fine without a tune or dyno tuning.

Offline cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
*Originally Posted by gary [+]
I have a 2020 model and just deleted cat and breadbox .  I used factory header and rear muffler and it runs fine without a tune or dyno tuning.

The 2020 seems to require a tune from the informations we gathered here unlike the 17-19.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Online KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I am surprised to see DynoJet are advertising the same maps for the 2020 model as they are for the 2017-19 models.  :027:

I'm not sure of the technical terms never having had a pc5 so have just used random numbers to demonstrate my point.

If the 2018 model ran standard fuelling of 5 but with the pc5 it was 6, then using the same map of 6 on a 2020 model that ran standard at 4 (leaner than 2018) would make sense (to me anyway 😁).
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
*Originally Posted by dhz900 [+]
So would you reccommend the PC5? I don't really like the reflash option (simply because this is the 5th bike i've had in 2 years and I don't need MAX performance), and I'd like to remove the PC5 for a future bike (i'm pretty sure you can do this with PCV?) Kinda sucks to spend 320 ish dollars just to disable a accel dump.

After further research i've come to find the same situation arises with other 2020's, i'm just trying to figure out what makes the most sense for me. I see PC has 2 full exhaust tunes (akra and Leovince, I assume with my full delkevic exhaust it'd closer resemble full akra) Again, not going for maximal performance, but I want the bike to sound louder and run like it did at stock.

Leaning towards PC5...

The PC V is not interchangeable between bikes as the ecu plugs are different the unit is the same but the plugs and connections  are not, so apart from selling it on after is the only choice.Personally I would get the ecu tuned on a dyno using Woolich racing software.The in the post reflash is only as good as the tuner that has set the values.Every bike is different and one tune on one bike is not necessarily the right one on the next bike even if they are the same bike.It would appear from other posts on here that the 2020 model runs lean so running a free flowing exhaust would only make it leaner.Having the power mode changes would make ecu more difficult to tune.I had my Z1000SX(Ninja 1000) done on a dyno with Woolich software and it was massively better not necessarily for top end but ride ability was far smoother.This bike has a similar power mode system.Being mechanically friendly to machinery I wouldn't be giving a relatively new engine full throttle so early in its life.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline gary

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Texas
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
The PC V is not interchangeable between bikes as the ecu plugs are different the unit is the same but the plugs and connections  are not, so apart from selling it on after is the only choice.Personally I would get the ecu tuned on a dyno using Woolich racing software.The in the post reflash is only as good as the tuner that has set the values.Every bike is different and one tune on one bike is not necessarily the right one on the next bike even if they are the same bike.It would appear from other posts on here that the 2020 model runs lean so running a free flowing exhaust would only make it leaner.Having the power mode changes would make ecu more difficult to tune.I had my Z1000SX(Ninja 1000) done on a dyno with Woolich software and it was massively better not necessarily for top end but ride ability was far smoother.This bike has a similar power mode system.Being mechanically friendly to machinery I wouldn't be giving a relatively new engine full throttle so early in its life.

The 2020 does not run lean....review the post below I copied from this website.  The guy has a 2020 and did a full system and the AFR was spot on.  I am sure the oxygen sensor detected a change in exhaust flow and made the necessary changes to the ECM to keep AFR in an acceptable range. 

See Below v v v

Just got my bike dyno tuned today

First dyno run, only mods were full exhaust system and sprint air filter:
121.92 rwhp
69.83 ft lbs
AFR was spot on!

After ECU flashed and dyno tuned:
128.13 rwhp
73.72 ft lbs

The only problem Im having now is that my engine light, power modes and ktrc codes are on the display and I cannot change their settings. My tuner said with a few turns of the key and riding, they might go away. If not, he will have to buy the cable (new cable for the 2020) to clear the codes. Anyone has any input on this? Thanks!
Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:19:56 PM by gary