Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Little help please identifying this....  (Read 484 times)

Online jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: JEFFERSON CITY
Little help please identifying this....
on: May 31, 2020, 03:24:14 AM
Hi all. Hope I have this thread in the right place. Fairly new to the Z and noticed something earlier for the first time. Pics included for reference. In the first pic, is that an evap cannister? Second pic shows the hose just hanging down at the bottom (the hose leads up to the cannister looking thing in the first pic). Thanks in advance for any info you all can give me.

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Re: Little help please identifying this....
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:12:12 AM
In the service manual they call that the breather tank and the breather tank hose.  Basically looks like a filter for the models that dont have evap canisters. On OEM part sites the California model has a hose going to the canister. The others have a hose that goes to that breather tank.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2019/zr900akf-z900/fuel-tank
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:22:10 AM by iBuchon

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:01:59 AM
I saw that in the owners manual (page 146), but I don't have the transparent reservoir on my 2020.  It's under the Air Cleaner section.  Weird. 

I do need to buy a service manual.  I should probably spend some money on that instead of mods. 

Offline Swingin Spanners

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900
  • Town / City: Sunshine Coast
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:47:11 AM
It could be a filter for the breather on the fuel tank, might also have the ability to stop liquid running out of the fuel tank when the bike is on its side? That could be why it has 'up' marked on it. Can't say that I have noticed it.

Online jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 01:30:58 PM
Thanks all for the info. I'll look at my owners manual as well so I see what it says if anything. I don't have a service manual to look at. I'm just mainly concerned that the hose hanging down isn't supposed to be attached to anything.

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:30:48 PM
*Originally Posted by jaanpla [+]
Thanks all for the info. I'll look at my owners manual as well so I see what it says if anything. I don't have a service manual to look at. I'm just mainly concerned that the hose hanging down isn't supposed to be attached to anything.

Trace the two hoses to the left of the one you're holding.  They end up toward that bottom plastic.  One is the coolant overflow, and the other is probably fuel tank overflow.  My VFR800, and R3 had those hanging down below the bike.  I can't find the third hose with the reservoir. 

The manual makes it sound like an oil catch can from oil that is on the air filter.   :187:

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 06:31:01 PM
No, it doesnt attach to anything. Its just routed so it doesnt overflow onto the motor or other hot parts. I cant find anything about the valve specifically. If I have time, Ill check mine today. I know one of my bikes has a plug in an overflow hose so you can drain it into something so it doesnt just run out on the ground. This could be the same principal.

Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:31:40 PM by iBuchon

Online jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 07:25:32 PM
*Originally Posted by iBuchon [+]
No, it doesnt attach to anything. Its just routed so it doesnt overflow onto the motor or other hot parts. I cant find anything about the valve specifically. If I have time, Ill check mine today. I know one of my bikes has a plug in an overflow hose so you can drain it into something so it doesnt just run out on the ground. This could be the same principal.

Thanks so much!! That's what I was mainly concerned about, if it was supposed to connect to something. Last time I came across this issue was when I had my Spyder. Unfortunately then, the evap hose was left too short and it would drop on the hot motor which eventually caused it to catch on fire one time🙄