Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TFT issues Maybe?  (Read 835 times)

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: JEFFERSON CITY
TFT issues Maybe?
on: June 04, 2020, 01:48:00 AM
Weird thing happened with my 2020 Z today. I turn it on after work where it has been sitting in the hot sun all day. When I get going down the road I noticed the time setting way way off and instead of it showing the range I have left in fuel (which is what I had it set on) it was instead showing my average MPG. Could it be from sitting in the hot sun all day or could there be something else going on? No other warning lights active and the bike is practically brand new with only 245 miles on it.

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Dallas
Re: TFT issues Maybe?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 04:42:30 AM
That's weird about the time.  If i remember correctly the bike can sync time with your phone, but I think that is only if it is connected through the app, and that setting is on on the bike.  But i doubt your phone time was that off.  I got nothing.   :027:  Curious if any owners of other 2020 TFT equipped Kawasaki's have had this issue. 

I know I've tried tried turning on the high beams only to change trip A/B, or miles to empty/average MPG.  To me it seems an easy button to hit. 

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:48:42 AM
I once had a similar experience.
I use Sport mode, Trip A on sreen. Clock adjusted and fake alarm light disabled. One morning (bike parked in my garage), clock was off, ODO was shown, Road mode selected and fake alarm light was flashing.

Out of power, like battery removed? But, battery terminals was firmly connected and battery fully charged.

That was a month ago, and did not happen again.
Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:54:23 AM by 3alfa3

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 11:14:04 AM
*Originally Posted by turbo_crispy [+]
That's weird about the time.  If i remember correctly the bike can sync time with your phone, but I think that is only if it is connected through the app, and that setting is on on the bike.  But i doubt your phone time was that off.  I got nothing.   :027:  Curious if any owners of other 2020 TFT equipped Kawasaki's have had this issue. 

I know I've tried tried turning on the high beams only to change trip A/B, or miles to empty/average MPG.  To me it seems an easy button to hit.

I don't have the app downloaded and the time was more than 5 hours off. It is weird that it happened. Don't think it was the battery as it's brand new and the bike started right up. Just odd. I'll be calling the dealer later today, hopefully they have an answer.

Offline JPZ900JP

• Z900 Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:30:59 AM
I have a 2020 and something similar happened to mine when I briefly disconnected the battery. I then had to reset the clock and settings.

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:38:40 PM
*Originally Posted by JPZ900JP [+]
I have a 2020 and something similar happened to mine when I briefly disconnected the battery. I then had to reset the clock and settings.

Bike was sitting outside of my work all day. Battery was not disconnected, which is what makes it so weird.

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:55:37 PM
I'm getting called back into the office next week and plan to ride a couple days in.  The bike will sit in the sun all day, so I'll see if i have any issues. 

Keep us posted.

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 06:15:39 PM
*Originally Posted by turbo_crispy [+]
I'm getting called back into the office next week and plan to ride a couple days in.  The bike will sit in the sun all day, so I'll see if i have any issues. 

Keep us posted.

Called the dealer and they're as confused as I am😁 Since the bike is running fine and no warning lights are active we've decided to reset everything back to how I had it and keep an eye on it for now. If it happens again I am to bring it in for them to try and diagnose.

Offline Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: East TN
Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:32 PM
Gasoline expands in the heat. Think of a plastic gas can in the sun. They puff out like crazy. My theory is the gas in the tank expanded more than normally and triggered something.
Electrical gremlins like this are difficult to track down.
If it turns out to be a one time thing I wouldn't worry much about it.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

Offline turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowwolfe [+]
Gasoline expands in the heat. Think of a plastic gas can in the sun. They puff out like crazy. My theory is the gas in the tank expanded more than normally and triggered something.
Electrical gremlins like this are difficult to track down.
If it turns out to be a one time thing I wouldn't worry much about it.

On the converse, I had been riding the R3 before Z900.  I did my first fill up on the Z900, and when i rode away I thought my groin area was wet.  Nope cool gas in a metal tank vs the plastic cover of the R3's tank.

Also i'm dropping of the Z900 at the dealer at lunch today for the 600 mile service.  I'll poke around and see if they have had other people bring in their 2020 Kawi's for TFT issues.