Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Super hard to find riding shoes/boots  (Read 5819 times)

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: Super hard to find riding shoes/boots
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 08:49:36 PM
*Originally Posted by zeta [+]
I have been able to have only two rides (bc the freaking winter we have...) after getting the boots, but they are absolutely perfect now. I had a few short hikes with them (like maybe 8 km total) and been wearing them a couple of times in the garage. What is amazing that at the temperature of 2C (in wet conditions) with thin merino wool socks (I highly recommend M05 Finnish Army merino socks from https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-m05-liner-socks/5041 to any use, you *literally* (and I just #### hate the word literally  :002:, but yes, literally) don't need to wash those ever if you don't want to because merino resists bacteria growth and they do not get smelly the way like tennis socks do) my feet were warm and dry the whole couple hour ride. Anyone thinking should s/he get these boots that cost a kidney I'd say sell the kidney, these are worth it  :001:
Wool is a self cleaning natural fiber plus it works better at wicking moisture than man made plastic micro fibers.
The same with shirts. I use a Smartwool T shirt against my skin, topped with a Smartwool long sleeved shirt, then cotton over that, then the jacket. Totally warm.
But there's them "men" out there that claim the wool makes them itch. 🙄
And actually I do hand wash them now and again.
👍

Offline zeta

• Z900 Master
  • Town / City: Lohja
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2020, 09:25:45 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Wool is a self cleaning natural fiber plus it works better at wicking moisture than man made plastic micro fibers.
The same with shirts. I use a Smartwool T shirt against my skin, topped with a Smartwool long sleeved shirt, then cotton over that, then the jacket. Totally warm.
But there's them "men" out there that claim the wool makes them itch. 🙄
And actually I do hand wash them now and again.
👍
I'm using organic cotton t-shirts, but I think I might get one merino t-shirt to see how I like it (https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-wool-t-shirt/59737).
The best boxers I have are these: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-boxers/58889

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2020, 10:43:13 PM
I'm using organic cotton t-shirts, but I think I might get one merino t-shirt to see how I like it (https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-wool-t-shirt/59737).
The best boxers I have are these: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-merino-boxers/58889
The cotton absorbs perspiration then it just sits against your skin making you cold and clammy.
With the wool against your skin it will wick the perspiration to the cotton shirt worn over the wool. You will be warmer that way.
The wool shirts are expensive but worth it. They are not quite as comfortable as cotton but their ads will say they are. They're not like steel wool but their much smoother than a wool sweater.

Though they won't stink like a man made fiber or cotton a hand wash and hang dry every now and then won't hurt. I think they work better when clean anyway.
People generally gravitate towards space-age man made fiber but it's still plastic. Nothing works like good old wool. Plus sheeps don't mind, it grows back. 👍

Offline zeta

• Z900 Master
Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 07:29:52 AM
Daytona update: Some 500 rain kms later (it seems that when the temp is above 0C it's always raining) I (still) can only recommend these boots. They are worth every cent, penny or whatever your local currency is  :002:
I've been using a Srm assault pack with a rain cover, but it seems that water finds its way and the pack is always soaking wet after a ride. So yesterday I ordered the Givi EA121 waterproof pack that should solve that problem. Yesterday I rode to Varusteleka (it was raining of course, temperature 5C) and got the ugliest MC gloves known to mankind: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-motorcycle-lobster-gloves-leather-surplus/9350.
I wore them with merino wool gloves as a base layer when riding home (about 60 km of which 40 km on the motorway @130km/h'ish speed) and they got a bit wet but it was not bad since they kept the wind out and merino wool does not feel cold even when wet (they were not soaking wet).
Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:31:32 AM by zeta

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #34 on: December 21, 2020, 03:12:25 PM
Hahaha, it's funny you should mention the hideousness of those lobster gloves. I had considered buying them when I was commuting to work in the winter on my big scooter. Though they would have been warmer, I instead chose to freeze my fingers off in  my regular gloves.

Offline zeta

• Z900 Master
Reply #35 on: December 21, 2020, 03:33:20 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Hahaha, it's funny you should mention the hideousness of those lobster gloves. I had considered buying them when I was commuting to work in the winter on my big scooter. Though they would have been warmer, I instead chose to freeze my fingers off in  my regular gloves.
I also have Rukka GTX 3 Chamb Gloves (Gore-Tex) that keep hands dry and coldness on a tolerable level near 0C temps. But I just could not resist those leather lobster gloves price being cheap and also needed an excuse to go for a couple hour ride in the winter rain  :001: I was not the only one, on the motorway there was another guy on a motorcycle coming from another direction and also just after I arrived to Varusteleka another guy on a MC came in. We had a half hour chat about motorcycling.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
Reply #36 on: December 21, 2020, 03:52:18 PM
I also have Rukka GTX 3 Chamb Gloves (Gore-Tex) that keep hands dry and coldness on a tolerable level near 0C temps. But I just could not resist those leather lobster gloves price being cheap and also needed an excuse to go for a couple hour ride in the winter rain  :001: I was not the only one, on the motorway there was another guy on a motorcycle coming from another direction and also just after I arrived to Varusteleka another guy on a MC came in. We had a half hour chat about motorcycling.
Yup, all the crazy bikers think alike. 👍
I'd commute to work on my scooter in 15 degree F weather. I was the only biker on the road. My nephew, who also has a Honda Helix scooter rode his through the winter to get to work. He rode in snow storms and over ice. And he crashed only twice. 👍😂

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #37 on: June 12, 2021, 03:27:43 PM
This conversation about Daytona boots got me interested in looking for a pair of Road Star GTX.

I got lucky and found a pair on eBay that had only been used in the house... seller decided not the right size for him. But they are for me. I only paid $270 including shipping and tax. Excellent quality, great fitting comfortable boot, and no problems with the long zipper that some have complained about. These boots are probably the best motorcycle gear purchase I've ever made.

Rode with them yesterday for 2 hours in 85-90 F temp, and surprisingly my feet were not hot. When I got back and took them off the gore-tex lining felt a bit damp, but my feet were totally dry. About 2 hours later, checked the gore-tex lining and it was completely dry.

Offline zeta

• Z900 Master
Reply #38 on: June 12, 2021, 03:35:38 PM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
This conversation about Daytona boots got me interested in looking for a pair of Road Star GTX.

I got lucky and found a pair on eBay that had only been used in the house... seller decided not the right size for him. But they are for me. I only paid $270 including shipping and tax. Excellent quality, great fitting comfortable boot, and no problems with the long zipper that some have complained about. These boots are probably the best motorcycle gear purchase I've ever made.

Rode with them yesterday for 2 hours in 85-90 F temp, and surprisingly my feet were not hot. When I got back and took them off the gore-tex lining felt a bit damp, but my feet were totally dry. About 2 hours later, checked the gore-tex lining and it was completely dry.

I've been happy with the boots, feet are always dry. Those that complain about closing the long zipper do not understand that one should close that first and the short one last, then there's no problem at all.

Offline RedRooster

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Persimmon Red
Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 07:27:37 PM
Yeah, for the Daytona Road Star GTX boot and those who have problems with long zipper, they should also open up that back velcro flap (for calf size). Makes it much easier on the zipper.

Man, these boots are the cat's meow. Another 2 hour ride today in 85 F temp... so-o-o comfortable and boot toe to shifter is perfect. FINALLY, my search for the holy grail perfect boot is done.  :046: