Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First service..  (Read 1580 times)

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: First service..
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 09:37:27 AM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
Just to clear up the mileage between oil changes the manual says 7500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first it does not say just change at 7500 miles or sooner depending on type of use.I change mine every 12 months as I don't do lots of miles as mine is a weekend warrior toy not a daily ride.

I commute year round on mine through our lovely (not) British winters. I change my oil and filter every 4k miles.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 09:53:13 AM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
I commute year round on mine through our lovely (not) British winters. I change my oil and filter every 4k miles.

A few years ago I was involved in testing  running high performance engines on fully synthetic oils in normal use with just filter change and topping up oil.Sump plug was wired with security seals.The results were quite surprising at the cutoff of 100000 miles the engines were examined measuring critical components the wear was still within original machining tolerances on nearly all of the components some were just out of original spec but none showed the wear level expected at the 100000 miles mark.So in my limited experience changing oil early maybe not as necessary as you may think.Everyone has there own view on this just as they do on tyres.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 10:33:09 AM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
A few years ago I was involved in testing  running high performance engines on fully synthetic oils in normal use with just filter change and topping up oil.Sump plug was wired with security seals.The results were quite surprising at the cutoff of 100000 miles the engines were examined measuring critical components the wear was still within original machining tolerances on nearly all of the components some were just out of original spec but none showed the wear level expected at the 100000 miles mark.So in my limited experience changing oil early maybe not as necessary as you may think.Everyone has there own view on this just as they do on tyres.

I'd never even considered the possibility changing the filter but leaving the oil unchanged. Amazing.
Were the engines in vehicles or on test beds? Not motorcycle engines I expect.
Whose oil was it? I want some.  :008:

Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: JEFFERSON CITY
Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 10:18:41 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
As long as you have the bike perfectly upright you did great. Me, I fill to the top line.
Check the level tomorrow morning BEFORE you start it up, you'll find the level will have gone up a tad as more oil drains down from the head. 🍻

*Originally Posted by 3alfa3 [+]
My profile pic: 3.8L  :001:

Picture taken when cold, when it's warm, it's closer to max level

I was revisiting this thread because I guess I am being paranoid about my oil change I did on my Z. To recap, we ended up using all 4 qts. of oil.

This is with the Z running, temp display shows 190*

This is with the Z turned off 2 minutes after

And this is with the Z having sit for 15 minutes

I guess I'm confused. According to zed9, the oil level goes up when cold but according to 3alfa3's avatar and quote, oil level goes up when hot. My main concern of course is that I have enough oil in there and not run the risk of ruining the engine. My common sense is telling me I used 4 qts. so I should be good. No leaks, been checking for that everyday so I'm good there. I'm sorry for asking such newb questions and being a pain but should I be worried? Or just tell my inner self to relax and all is well? :431:

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 10:56:30 PM
What I aim for after an oil change is to start the bike and let the fresh oil run round the system. Then once the engine has cooled for 15-20 minutes for the oil level to be just under the full line when the bike is upright. Looking at you last photo which you said is after it had cooled for 15 mins, Id say you level is spot on :028:
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:15 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
What I aim for after an oil change is to start the bike and let the fresh oil run round the system. Then once the engine has cooled for 15-20 minutes for the oil level to be just under the full line when the bike is upright. Looking at you last photo which you said is after it had cooled for 15 mins, Id say you level is spot on :028:

Ok, so the oil level does go up when cold, not the other way around? I should also say part of my paranoia I guess comes from comparing the Z to my last bike. Now I know this may sound silly but from the day I got my Z, the one thing I am not comfortable with is how much the bike is leaned over when on the kickstand. My last bike, CBR500R when on the kickstand was a little more upright compared to the Z. Enough to a point where when I looked at the sight glass you could see a smidge of oil when on the kickstand. Not sure if all Zs are like that or maybe my kickstand needs to be adjusted but for me, it leans a little too much for my liking. My wife always laughs when she sees me get off the bike and watches me ever so slowly settle it on the kickstand. I truly am worried that if I just set it down and let go like how I did with my CBR, it'll fall over.

Online RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 11:59:33 PM
Yes oil levels go up when cold. As the bike is running and the oil circulates through the system, the visible oil level is lower as the oil is spread round the engine. When the bike cools, that oil slowly settles back down to where you can see it. For this reason, you should only check levels when the engine has cooled down/is cold.

As for the kickstand, I prefer the bike to lean over more. Less chance of it falling off the stand that way. Ive seen some bikes where they almost look level on the stand. Id be terrified of that as it would only take a gust of wind to knock it over. Where I park my bike at work can get quite windy, so I park with the wind hitting the right side of the bike, putting pressure onto the stand rather than the other way round so the wind would blow it off the stand. I also leave the bike in 1st and push it forward with the clutch out until it meets the resistance of the gearbox before leaning it over. It cant roll forward because of the gearbox, cant roll backwards because of the weight on the stand and the wind is putting more weight on it to make sure. Shes not going anywhere :028:

Offline jaanpla

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 12:24:24 AM
I wouldn't say never but we seldom get winds strong enough to knock over the Z here, but I do see your way of doing it as it does make sense. My Z, when I put it on the kickstand and the kickstand meets the ground, it'll flex another half to an inch more of lean it seems. With my CBR as soon as the kickstand hits the ground that's where the bike stays. I guess that's the part that worries me is that extra flex or lean after the kickstand hits the ground and I feel like if I don't hold on to it for that extra flex it'll fall over.

Offline 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 04:18:50 AM
Put bike on a stand, take a picture of oil level when oil is cold (ambient temperature, before ride). Go for a ride and when you come back, put bike back on a stand, wait 2-5 min for oil to settle in the oil pan then take a piture again (oil is still at operating temperature).
Compare two pics  :001:

Oil expands as it gets hotter, like other liquids (antifreeze), gases (air in tires) etc...
Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:22:18 AM by 3alfa3

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:55 AM
The oil level when hot is really irrelevant as the oil level whether be it on a bike or car or anything else is only relevant when cold.You are checking the amount of oil in the engine that the manufacturers  say the engine needs when running and to flow round engine and retain enough oil in sump to pump round engine when in use.When doing an oil change yes put  new oil in then run for a few minutes then leave to stand  for 10 minutes or so then check level and adjust as necessary .Personally I would fill to just below bottom edge of  line in sight glass.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.