Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HEL Braided Lines. Anybody Use Them?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2017 z900
HEL Braided Lines. Anybody Use Them?
on: June 17, 2020, 01:17:58 AM
I see HEL makes a braided kit with stainless steel fittings for the 2017 ABS bike now. Has anybody installed them yet?
-If so, how is the fit?
-Do they go direct to the ABS brick without using the solid steel tubing lines?
-Any noticeable improvement?

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Re: HEL Braided Lines. Anybody Use Them?
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
If the kit I had for my ABS kitted  Z1000SX  (Ninja 1000) is anything  to go on the kit replaces all the hoses except the actual metal lines . Where needed the hoses have the chassis blocks fitted to the hoses.Although the metal lines do have flexible hose ends into ABS unit.Over the years I have used a number of their kits and not had any problems.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:00:55 AM
*Originally Posted by bobw [+]
If the kit I had for my ABS kitted  Z1000SX  (Ninja 1000) is anything  to go on the kit replaces all the hoses except the actual metal lines . Where needed the hoses have the chassis blocks fitted to the hoses.Although the metal lines do have flexible hose ends into ABS unit.Over the years I have used a number of their kits and not had any problems.

Any noticeable improvement in feel or braking performance with the HEL's?  :027:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 03:20:17 PM
That's what I was wondering about. Why go through all the bother and expense and still have the rubber lines still at the ABS brick? It makes no sense.
I'll try to call the local HEL supplier but unless he has actually seen or installed them on a z900 he'll be no help. I asked him a year ago and he didn't have a clue. I want to bypass all rubber lines altogether.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:14:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
Any noticeable improvement in feel or braking performance with the HEL's?  :027:
Less spongey and better feel but old hoses were 4 years old so starting to stretch a bit you don't notice over time but you do notice the difference.Whether for newish bike the cost nearly 200 is justifiable or warranted for road use another question.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:22:52 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
That's what I was wondering about.
I want to bypass all rubber lines altogether.
If you email HEL direct they might be able help only other option is replace metal pipe work with genuine parts if rubber hoses are starting to perish even my 4 year old Z1000SX hoses to ABS pump were fine.

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 09:54:27 PM
If you email HEL direct they might be able help only other option is replace metal pipe work with genuine parts if rubber hoses are starting to perish even my 4 year old Z1000SX hoses to ABS pump were fine.
The rubber hoses are in good shape it's just that I want to firm up the spongy brakes.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 10:17:03 PM
Less spongey and better feel but old hoses were 4 years old so starting to stretch a bit you don't notice over time but you do notice the difference.Whether for newish bike the cost nearly 200 is justifiable or warranted for road use another question.

Thanks. Maybe next year.  :084:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 07:46:38 PM
After doing a bit of searching for other hose makers I came across this website and they list the kit as having 9 hoses so it would look like they change out all hoses and replace metal pipework.Obviously would need to contact  them to check if that is the case or at least one of their Italian sellers some are on ebay. Pricewise they are a little bit dearer than HEL and Goodridge but if it is all the pipework it would be cheaper in the long run.Than buying genuine metal pipework with hose ends.
https://frentubo.it/en/products/orders/      you can look at kits in their catalogue/catalog both for Europe and US bikes.

Offline bambam

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: Exeter
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 05:46:06 PM
I am thinking of going for braided lines and have been looking at HEL lines. But as been mentioned I would want to change all of them and not have a mix of rubber and steel.
The Italian company could be quite good if they do away will all the original pipe work.

I have sent them an email asking about the kit and will let you know when I get a reply.
Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:58:33 PM by bambam