Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Corbin + shorty levers  (Read 1023 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: Corbin + shorty levers
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowwolfe [+]
I observed plenty of riders switching out levers for shortys during my online surfing. What are the advantages?

Good if you like to use 2 fingers for clutch/front brake instead of your whole hand. I like the look of them but stick with full size levers. Something more comforting about being able to grab a handful of front brake in an emergency situation, buts thats personal preference.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 06:19:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Snowwolfe [+]
I observed plenty of riders switching out levers for shortys during my online surfing. What are the advantages?

Ever since I was a kid on 2 wheels the levers always got broken or bent forward in a U at the end so pretty much a natural feeling going with a couple fingers for me.

"The ride is the reason"

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:35 AM
Ya, I always had short levers on my dirt bikes. I like how they feel. I use two fingers on the clutch and one on the brake. Helps me to NOT grab a handful of front brake in emergency situations as well.  :084: Ive never had ABS though, so thats a different scenario for me. Just a preference thing I guess.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:04 AM
 I have short clutch lever (Chinese) and a long brake lever (ABM).
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 04:47:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I have short clutch lever (Chinese) and a long brake lever (ABM).

Ive seen this setup before but my OCD says NO!
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 06:14:54 AM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
Ive seen this setup before but my OCD says NO!

It's a good job you cant see that single sided exhaust while you are riding. It would be terribly distracting for you.
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 08:10:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
It's a good job you cant see that single sided exhaust while you are riding. It would be terribly distracting for you.

Lol, twin exhaust would look awesome :028:

Offline porkchop

• Z900 Pro
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Bike: 2019
  • Town / City: Central NY
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 06:17:55 PM
*Originally Posted by iBuchon [+]
Ya, I always had short levers on my dirt bikes. I like how they feel. I use two fingers on the clutch and one on the brake. Helps me to NOT grab a handful of front brake in emergency situations as well.  :084: Ive never had ABS though, so thats a different scenario for me. Just a preference thing I guess.

This is the first bike I've ever had with ABS, only got it because dealer gave it to me for the same price as non just to move a bike + previous business with them.
In 2800 miles I haven't even known it's there, really don't feel a pulse if it has come on- gotta brake real hard??  :027:
Insurance rate is a bit cheaper though.
"The ride is the reason"

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 07:13:38 PM
*Originally Posted by porkchop [+]
This is the first bike I've ever had with ABS, only got it because dealer gave it to me for the same price as non just to move a bike + previous business with them.
In 2800 miles I haven't even known it's there, really don't feel a pulse if it has come on- gotta brake real hard??  :027:
Insurance rate is a bit cheaper though.

With the exception of track use, I dont know why anyone wouldnt want abs. Theres the hardcore I can outbrake abs guys out there, and while that may be true for controlled braking vs allowing abs to do its thing, thats not what its there for. Its for when some twat pulls out in front of you and you panic brake or if the wheel looses traction while braking on wet leaves for example. Having something there that you dont notice until you need it is a no brainer for me (though in the UK and Europe there isnt the option to not have it). And to answer your question, yes you really have to grab a handful of front brake to activate it. I did it deliberately to get a feel for what it was like when it activates. Also had it save me once since having the bike when I came round a bend to find a line of traffic waiting for temporary traffic lights that the workers didnt bother putting out a sign for.

Offline iBuchon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 12:43:23 AM
For clarification, I am not against ABS. I just ride differently because I dont have it. Unfortunately the ABS model in the U.S. had a green frame though.  :745: