Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: oil  (Read 4112 times)

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Re: oil
Reply #30 on: September 08, 2020, 02:13:55 AM
*Originally Posted by RedRooster [+]
Which Rotella are you using now?  T6 5W-40 (or) T6 15W-40
You can mix a gallon of 5-40 and a gallon of 15-40 to make two gallons of 10-40. That's what I do.

Offline TriggerBlister

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Robinson
Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 06:02:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Warmweather-Rider [+]
I always use the Kawasaki regular oil.   The motorcycle mechanic told me that the synthetic oil can make your clutch slip.

I have also heard this before, with the advancements in motor oil your mechanical components shouldn't suffer as long as you maintain your service intervals. The only time synthetic oil will become an issue is if you put a ton of miles on running non-synthetics then decide one day to switch. The problem isn't the oil types, issues depend on type of friction modifiers added to the oil. Consistency is key like in transmission's in cars if you run a synthetic after break in, continue to run the same oil and change it regularly to service intervals.

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900FLF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 07:26:37 PM
My 2020 bike has just had its first service oil change done by supplying dealer and they put fully synthetic oil in,I did question this as I personally would just use semi synthetic for whole of life.They said it won't make any difference which type full or semi oil is used.They only use fully synthetic on all oil changes.As they have do any warranty work resulting from using this oil its on their head.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.

Offline Greyhairhoon

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Launceston, Tas
Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
As long as the oil doesn't have "friction modifiers" in it, the clutch will not slip.
I use Penrite Racing 10 ten tenths full synthetic pao/ester stuff and change it every 5,000klms.

Offline ezraZ

• Z900 Member
Reply #34 on: September 25, 2020, 07:30:43 PM
Ok, so i just did the first oil change on the bike (600mile\1000km) i had a closed 4L putoline N-TECH PRO R+ 10W-40 left over from my previous bike i gave the bike a long time to drain gave it a couple of shakes and all 4 liters went back in (the oil is just under the top line in the sight glass), according to the manual 3.6L is the amount that should go in when oil and filter is replaced but when i filled that amount started the bike let it rest for 5\10 min and checked the oil wasn't even visible in the sight glass, is it just me or other people been filling more then the Manuel stats to get the oil level between the lines? i will lett you know how the bike is with this specific oil its the first time I'm using it hope its good because is pricy haha.

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #35 on: September 25, 2020, 08:28:37 PM
Shake the bike a little bit youll see the oil appear. And I also mostly use all of my 4L too.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #36 on: September 25, 2020, 09:04:07 PM
*Originally Posted by ezraZ [+]
Ok, so i just did the first oil change on the bike (600mile\1000km) i had a closed 4L putoline N-TECH PRO R+ 10W-40 left over from my previous bike i gave the bike a long time to drain gave it a couple of shakes and all 4 liters went back in (the oil is just under the top line in the sight glass), according to the manual 3.6L is the amount that should go in when oil and filter is replaced but when i filled that amount started the bike let it rest for 5\10 min and checked the oil wasn't even visible in the sight glass, is it just me or other people been filling more then the Manuel stats to get the oil level between the lines? i will lett you know how the bike is with this specific oil its the first time I'm using it hope its good because is pricy haha.

Despite filling gradually I always end up putting the full 4 Litres in.
 Next time it's all going in on the first pour.  :169:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Zempher

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Westmorland
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 02:55:05 PM
When I took it for first service I brought Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w 40. Didn't notice anyone else mention it. So far changed it again @ 2k miles and plan to change every 2.5k miles starting at 5k. A bit overkill but makes me feel warm and fuzzy lol.

Offline PFEN

• Z900 Member
  • Town / City: L'Est de PARIS
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 06:19:16 PM
maintenance of the first 1000 km.
4L invoiced by the concession.
motorcycle upright: level just below the max

Offline logik

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2018 Ebony/Black
Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 04:54:27 AM
*Originally Posted by turbo_crispy [+]
Staying somewhat on topic, how often do you guys change your oil?  Per the owners manual it's 600 miles, then 7600 miles.  That seems a bit far out to me.  I was planning to do every 3000 miles; only at 2600+ at the moment.

Every ~7600 miles or before winter, whichever comes first.