Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Considering new bike from ninja 400  (Read 342 times)

Offline 3trees

• Z900 Junior Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: San Diego
Considering new bike from ninja 400
on: June 25, 2020, 09:39:24 PM
Hi,  I'm wondering for those of you who went up from a "starter" bike like the 400 to z900, how that transition went?

My Ninja was sadly knocked over by a car parking and it turns out besides the fairings, the frame is bent... basically a total loss.
I've had it 6months;  I don't want another although I was very happy with it.

I'm looking at either getting a z400 or moving up to my dream bike of the z900.
I mostly commute, but have also started doing twisties, and I would like to do longer distance rides to LA, San Francisco etc. 
The only complaint w/ the n400 is crosswinds and a little buzzy going 70-80 mph.  I'm generally chill and don't speed fantasy; the fastest I pushed my bike was to 90s getting away on the freeway. 

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Re: Considering new bike from ninja 400
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:51:24 PM
To be fair the ninja 400 is so beautiful. I would ask my gf to buy it if she ever wants to ride with me!
Never had the chance to try one.

But you cant go wrong with the z900. You can buy plenty of luggages to transport your stuff for a few days trip! Confortable enough and plenty of power.
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline Snowwolfe

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: East TN
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 12:29:15 AM
I owned a Z400 before buying the Z900. The 400 is nice for what it is. A fun, light bike that needs to rev to have any chance of power. The seat is horrible, the mirrors are a joke, and the ride is so harsh it hurts.
Its a decent bike but Kaw cut a lot of corners when building it. I didn't have any issues running 70-75 down the interstates.
2020 ZL1 Camaro
2020 Z900 Kawasaki
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000

Online turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:59:21 PM
*Originally Posted by 3trees [+]
Hi,  I'm wondering for those of you who went up from a "starter" bike like the 400 to z900, how that transition went?

My Ninja was sadly knocked over by a car parking and it turns out besides the fairings, the frame is bent... basically a total loss.
I've had it 6months;  I don't want another although I was very happy with it.

I'm looking at either getting a z400 or moving up to my dream bike of the z900.
I mostly commute, but have also started doing twisties, and I would like to do longer distance rides to LA, San Francisco etc. 
The only complaint w/ the n400 is crosswinds and a little buzzy going 70-80 mph.  I'm generally chill and don't speed fantasy; the fastest I pushed my bike was to 90s getting away on the freeway.

I went from an R3 to a 2020 Z900. I left it in Rain mode during run-in, so that's 60% of max power.  The biggest difference for me was the position of the bars as the grips felt right in my face.  Same with the mirrors, you just had to dip your eyes, and you could see the mirrors which was pretty nice.  But now I have bar end mirrors, and have to drop my whole head to look at them, but that's my own doing.  The bike didn't feel any heavier even though it is by 100 lbs.  On the R3 I only did left foot down at the stops, so i think that transitioned nicely to the little bit taller Z900.  I'm 5'-6", 29-30" inseam without boots.  I love power band; there's torque relatively everywhere.  I make passes on the highway in 6th gear.  I love the 2020 Z900, it checks all the boxes for me.  Except for that stupid helmet lock bracket...

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:41:21 AM
The z900 has such smooth throttle response the extra power will not be an issue. It can be sedate as you wish but the power will be there if you ever need it. The z9 is an EASY bike to ride. And as already mentioned the 2020 model has a rain mode for reduced power.