Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What am I missing here?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Re: What am I missing here?
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 07:44:41 PM
 I didn't take my cush drive off when I got my tyres changed and it came back the same as I gave it to the mechanic.
 In all honesty I though he would need it to balance the wheel.  :430:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online turbo_crispy

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
I didn't take my cush drive off when I got my tyres changed and it came back the same as I gave it to the mechanic.
 In all honesty I though he would need it to balance the wheel.  :430:

Alright, I'm in my service manual and it doesn't say anything about removing the cush drive for replacing & balancing the rear tire. 
And yeah, thinking about it, I think you'd want the rear balanced with the sprocket/cush drive installed as it's all rotational mass.  Granted, may just be overthinking that part. 

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 04:03:09 AM
The cush assy is perfectly symetrical and so is sprocket. The tire is the main item that has the issue in that they seldom are perfect. They don't call it tire balance for no reason  :210:

Besides possibly interfering with the (dynamic) tire machine, I don't know any shop that would leave the cush in place just to balance a tire. As for tire R & R, the cush must come off so...

Offline JohnCW

• Z900 Pro
  • Town / City: Sydney
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 05:57:12 AM
*Originally Posted by NettleMoto [+]
Not everyone is a trained motorcycle mechanic dude, they are. I thought something seemed off just by the way it looked so I already had my suspicions, hence why I asked here. This is the first time I have ever taken wheels in to get the tires changed, am I supposed to be all knowing? They deserve the negative review, the cush drive clearly looks off and they were negligent in their duty to put the wheel back together correctly. It's not like I took the wheel to joe blow moto shop down the road, they're an established business that has been here for years. Not sympathetic to them, sorry.

Now I know, and will take it apart before I take the wheel in next time.

While in your learning phase .... you haven't done yourself any favor taking the wheel/cush drive to them in such a dirty condition.  They basically took a similar amount of care as you did.  Next time get some kerosene in a spray bottle and rags and clean up the hub (and the cush/drive and sprocket for your own benefit) before taking it to the shop.  They'll see you care, so they will also.

Offline NettleMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Cuyahoga Falls
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 02:12:10 PM
*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]
While in your learning phase .... you haven't done yourself any favor taking the wheel/cush drive to them in such a dirty condition.  They basically took a similar amount of care as you did.  Next time get some kerosene in a spray bottle and rags and clean up the hub (and the cush/drive and sprocket for your own benefit) before taking it to the shop.  They'll see you care, so they will also.

That's a fair point, I had been neglecting to wipe the wheel down after lubing my chain and I own that it was dirty, I have since cleaned it up before I fixed the cush drive and put the wheel back on  :001:. Does that excuse their negligence? Hell no. They had a simple task and they failed. Not sympathetic, sorry.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 02:40:47 PM
That's a fair point, I had been neglecting to wipe the wheel down after lubing my chain and I own that it was dirty, I have since cleaned it up before I fixed the cush drive and put the wheel back on  :001:. Does that excuse their negligence? Hell no. They had a simple task and they failed. Not sympathetic, sorry.

NettleMoto, I can see why you christened yourself that.

Definitely a prickly customer!  :745:
Cazzy_R

Offline NettleMoto

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Cuyahoga Falls
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 03:07:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
NettleMoto, I can see why you christened yourself that.

Definitely a prickly customer!  :745:

Gotta admit I set myself up for that  :008: thanks for the laugh mate  :002:

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 03:24:27 PM
thanks for the laugh mate  :002:

:821:
Cazzy_R

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 06:18:26 PM
I thought something seemed off just by the way it looked so I already had my suspicions, hence why I asked here.

They deserve the negative review, the cush drive clearly looks off and they were negligent in their duty to put the wheel back together correctly.

2 quotes from you saying it looked wrong yet you didn't think to try swapping it around!

Such a lot of fuss over such a simple fix. 😭
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline bobw

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z900BKF
  • Town / City: Southampton UK
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 08:29:13 AM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
2 quotes from you saying it looked wrong yet you didn't think to try swapping it around!

Such a lot of fuss over such a simple fix. 😭
:0461:
They have done the job you asked them to do mount tyres you didn't ask them to fit to bike if you were concerned they had screwed up why didn't you call them to ask.Instead of trying to fit for 2 hours?.
Everyone has to learn sometime however you can learn from this and I am sure by this mistake someone  else will learn the same lesson.Most people learn from mistakes others do not.As this is a safety critical operation removing and refitting wheels why not let the shop do whole job just ride in ride out For an extra 10 I don't bother removing wheels to fit tyres anymore although in the past  have changed tyres myself.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than to arrive years too early in the next.