Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motocomposites disappointment  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
  • Town / City: Salina, Kansas
Motocomposites disappointment
on: June 28, 2020, 05:08:59 AM
Has anyone here had issues with motocomposites parts?  I don’t want to bash them too hard because they haven’t had time to respond with a proposed plan for correcting the issues, but so far the experience hasn’t been great or even good.  What I’ve read on the forum seems generally positive but I was hoping to see if others had similar experiences so I know whether to give them a chance to redo it or just demand my money back.

I ordered more or less a full set of carbon/fiberglass bodywork (tank covers, air intake cover/“z shaped side panels”, tail piece etc).  A couple days after plunking my money down i get an email that said “hey I know the website said these were in stock, but they aren’t, so you can pay an extra 150$ for the 100% carbon fiber or you can wait  6-8 weeks”.  Ok, these things happen, a little irritating as part of the purchasing decision was that they were in stock an the website but I can roll with this.

Yesterday  I get the box in.  I open the box and the box is FULL of giant cockroaches.  Not kidding.  At least 30 giant inch long cockroaches scurry out of the box, and as I’m unpacking the nicely wrapped parts 3-4 more are in each piece of styrofoam packing.  Not great.

Three of the pieces have cloudy white haze on the surface.  It looks like dust but embedded in the surface.  A moistened microfiber cloth does not remove it or affect it, it seems to be IN the surface.

One piece has a deep gouge about 1mm deep and maybe 4mm long, in a prominent location.

Two other pieces have smaller but very visible scratches.

One of the tank covers has somewhat prominent bubble deformities in the flat part of the surface, like the whole mold was uneven.

Once piece, the tail cover, is perfect and exactly what I would hope for given the money.

I emailed them immediately with pictures, and I got a very cursory response “we are sorry you are unhappy, send more pics and describe the problems more theoroughly, we will have to file a claim with the factory and get you a replacement”

I responded with the requested info, and basically said that I’m not trying to complain just to get free stuff, and that I am being a bit picky but for 200+ bucks a piece, I would expect these to be perfect.  And further that if the process is going to involve weeks and weeks of shipping back and forth and a claim processing etc, I would not consider that to be the level of customer service I expect from a premium boutique charging premium prices.

Anyone else have similar experiences?  Am I off base here?  Between cockroaches and hazing on the finish and straight up damaged items, I’ll be pretty disappointed with anything other than “oh man we are so sorry this is a fluke we will get replacements out to you today and expedite the shipping as well as pay for return shipping of the damaged pieces.”

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: Motocomposites disappointment
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:19:19 AM
Some pictures of the issue areas.  The hazing was hard to get on camera but is pretty glaring in real life.

Offline Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:43:45 PM
I would be beyond furious  :232:

I know these are hand made parts but there is no excuse for a part with a deep scratch. As for the glaze in some of the parts, thats just poor quality control since it left their hand like that. You don''t get that finish during shipping.

To achieve the matte carbon look can be done two ways. From scuffing the mold or post mold using matte spray paint. If done with spray paint, it will be near impossible to correctly match it without a re-spray of the whole part (using matte or gloss). If the finish is from the mold, you can fix this using scuff pads or 3000 or 5000 wet/dry sandpaper. But don't do it unless you have zero other option. They should fix/replace ASAP...especially considering you opted for the +$150 more part because of inventory issues. At this point I would expect nothing but replacement.

Check out their warranty page:
https://www.motocomposites.com/pages/warranties-returns.html

Online cjskinner

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900 2018 ABS
  • Town / City: Quebec
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:24:49 PM
The cockroach part... wtf man loll. I would ask free replacement, free shipping and even free stuffs at this point god damn
OES Frame Slider - RhinoMoto Bar End - Chinese Mirror -  Chinese Windscreen - EBC Brakes pads - Leovince Full System - ECU 2WheelDyno - Chinese Seat Cover - Brocks Heavy Spring - Road 5 - MotoDynamic Integrated TailLight - Full Givi Luggage System - Sprint AirFilter - TankSlapper - Fender Eliminator - Ergo Seat - EvoTech Rad Guard - Liqui Moly Oil -

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:44:50 PM
Phew thanks.

I’ve never bought anything like this and was afraid I was being a Karen.  I did read their warranty page, and the wording and tone seemed more aimed at preventing spurious claims than assuring customers that they would receive the concierge service expected with a premium boutique manufacturer.

Appreciate the input, and I’ll see what they get back to me with.  Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have an update that they were aghast and leapt into action to provide an immediate replacement etc. 

Thanks again

Offline MZ900

• Z900 Master
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: KLP
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:47:53 PM
Maaan this suck.....
Youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mzslave

Instagram: @mz900lt

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 03:03:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Leto_II [+]
" premium boutique manufacturer"
Thanks again

It all comes out of China.
 My expectation of buying from well known western world suppliers is that you should get much better customer service than if buying off Aliexpress.
 Now is the time to put that to the test.
 God knows where those Cockroaches got onboard. Yuck.
 Good luck!

Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 03:30:49 PM
Well there’s me educated I guess.

I was under the impression they made them going into the purchase.  But given their “make a claim with the factory” statement that makes sense. 

This whole thing’s been a bit of a sh*t show... I bought the parts because my mom and stepdad moved in with me for the covid quarantine, and while I was at work my stepdad decided to clean the garage to be helpful... unfortunately I had the body panels off as I was getting my ecu flashed, and his eyesight isn’t great, and he dropped a heavy box on the neatly laid out body panels and cracked most of them and snapped the mounting points off the ones that didn’t crack ... figured instead of oem replacements for not TOO much more I could take the opportunity for some sweet carbon fiber....

But

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Unapologetic fair weather rider.
  • Town / City: Danksville, NW
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 03:41:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Leto_II [+]
Well there’s me educated I guess.

I was under the impression they made them going into the purchase.  But given their “make a claim with the factory” statement that makes sense. 

This whole thing’s been a bit of a sh*t show... I bought the parts because my mom and stepdad moved in with me for the covid quarantine, and while I was at work my stepdad decided to clean the garage to be helpful... unfortunately I had the body panels off as I was getting my ecu flashed, and his eyesight isn’t great, and he dropped a heavy box on the neatly laid out body panels and cracked most of them and snapped the mounting points off the ones that didn’t crack ... figured instead of oem replacements for not TOO much more I could take the opportunity for some sweet carbon fiber....

But

I fvcking hate it when ANYBODY goes in MY GARAGE!  :232: :230: :211:
Cazzy_R

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline Leto_II

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 03:44:51 PM
Yeah man.  The toddler rage was real.  What makes it worse is that my stepdad is a wonderful human who was only trying to help, so there wasn’t even a bad guy to rage against haha.  Hit the gym extra hard for a couple days to work that out for sure😂