Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NEW Dave Moss z900 Tuning Video  (Read 9672 times)

Offline JohnCW

• Ex Member - Moved On
  • Z900 Pro
Re: NEW Dave Moss z900 Tuning Video
Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 02:14:06 AM
*Originally Posted by 3alfa3 [+]
Slowing down

Sure about that?  The bike originally had painfully slow (excessive) rear rebound compression.  He has opened the adjuster (I believe he mentions 1/8th of a turn) to reduce rebound damping and as such speed up the rebound.   That same adjustment will also have reduced compression damping.

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 02:28:59 AM
*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]
Sure about that?  The bike originally had painfully slow (excessive) rear rebound compression.  He has opened the adjuster (I believe he mentions 1/8th of a turn) to reduce rebound damping and as such speed up the rebound.   That same adjustment will also have reduced compression damping.

First he opened adjuster, but second time he did another adjustment (1/8th turn) and i think he slowed rebound because of wave pattern before that (spring out of control)
Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:30:36 AM by 3alfa3

Offline KawaJagz

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z900
  • Town / City: Lowestoft
Reply #32 on: July 06, 2020, 12:16:08 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Yeah but. He still has the horrid d214. Mine were worn to the edges (no chicken strips) on my very first ride and I hadn't even been riding it hard being my first ride on an unfamiliar bike.
After throwing out  the d214 with about 1500 miles on them after several slips I bought the Conti RA3. On the same roads and riding much harder I still have small chicken strips.
It's either the profile of the d214, maybe flatter, or the fact that they slip and creep towards the edge more readily. I don't know which.
Either way I have sworn off Dunlops forever.

Don't forget the D214's are made for Dunlop under licence, they are not what I would call proper Dunlops such as the Sportmax and Qualifier ranges, which get good reviews, and a lot of motorcycle race series use Dunlop tyres so they can't be that bad.

I do however wonder why Dunlop would licence such a poor product as the D214's as it must put a lot of people off buying any other Dunlop tyre in the future.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #33 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:37 PM

JohnCW.
  I'm in agreement with you about DM:

*Originally Posted by JohnCW [+]
This could be due to no more than the guy becoming more comfortable with the track, taking the corners consistently at a higher speed and greater lean angle.  This creates a more defined wear pattern rather than the previous one where the tire is just lightly venturing into the outer edges (giving that feathered edge effect).  The rider seemed unsure if adjustments had made any difference.

It wasn't even a test track it was Highway 162!
  For all we know on his first pass the Z900 rider may have been riding the road for the first time or was stuck behind a bl**dy bus!
  DM's tyre reading skills may well be valid on repeatable laps of controlled environment but the public highway? Nah, sorry. Complete nonsense.

Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 01:07:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
JohnCW.
  I'm in agreement with you about DM:

It wasn't even a test track it was Highway 162! For all we know on his first pass the Z900 rider may have been riding the road for the first time or was stuck behind a bl**dy bus!
DM's tyre reading skills may well be valid on repeatable laps of controlled environment but the public highway? Nah, sorry. Complete nonsense.

Agreed. Assessing tyre wear after making adjustments and going round and round the same track, that I can understand, but as you say, for road riding, its unpredictable so 2 runs on the same road are almost never the same. All my original question was for was what adjustment would smooth out tyre wear. Based on what Ive just said, I know its not as easy to predict as it would be on track, but just curious if my settings can be improved at all. Im pretty happy with it as it is, so might just experiment by 1 click to see if theres any difference, I just didnt know if I should start with faster or slower rebound, though as John has said, the rebound adjuster on the stock shock affects compression too, so maybe not as simple an answer as I initially thought it might be.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 01:34:31 PM
As you said: track and road are two different things.

Do you coast when at high lean angle, do you accelerate, how hard.....

For road, put your preload and rebound in ballpark and that should be enough. But do try different settings, just, do one at a time to see/feel difference, if it makes it better, or worse, if you do multiple stuff at once, youre not gonna know what makes it better or worse.

I ride only on road and im OK with suspensions: 36mm front rider sag, 38mm rear rider sag, rebound fast, but without bouncing. Front rebound 3 clicks out, rear rebound 3/4-4/5 turns out.
Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:35:22 PM by 3alfa3

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 01:44:11 PM
*Originally Posted by KawaJagz [+]
Don't forget the D214's are made for Dunlop under licence, they are not what I would call proper Dunlops such as the Sportmax and Qualifier ranges, which get good reviews, and a lot of motorcycle race series use Dunlop tyres so they can't be that bad.

I do however wonder why Dunlop would licence such a poor product as the D214's as it must put a lot of people off buying any other Dunlop tyre in the future.
Yes, I understand about the Dunlop license deal but I have boycotted them because they put their name on such crap tires that had me close to unnecessarily crashing. Certainly one test ride by an expert tester would have exposed this trait.
I can be a stubborn SOB and once I boycott something I stick with it.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 01:49:17 PM
 I use a Notes app on my phone to record the suspensions settings and my feelings/observations about them.
 It's easy to forget where you are at sometimes when trying things on the fly so being able to get back to known setting is invaluable.
 I'm happy with my settings though I recently increased rebound by 1 click and its a definite improvement for spirited cornering with a slight negative on ride comfort but I suppose everything is a trade-off with suspension.  :034:

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 01:52:37 PM
Yes, I understand about the Dunlop license deal but I have boycotted them because they put their name on such crap tires that had me close to unnecessarily crashing. Certainly one test ride by an expert tester would have exposed this trait.

I share your sentiments, had the dunflops let go of traction on several occasions for absolutely no reason, including on warm and sunny days in perfect conditions. Never liked them and never had any really positive experience with Dunlop before these tyres either. As I use sport touring tyres, theres plenty of choice for decent rubber without using Dunlop, so dont think Ill be touching their brand again either.

I do the same Cazzy, got notes on my phone of current settings - preload, sag, rebound and compression clicks etc. Always easy to revert back then. Only downside with my shock is that there isnt any indication of which way is +/- for rebound.
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 02:04:54 PM

Bridgestone supply OEM tyres which have have the same tread pattern and names as their retail tyres but with inferior performance.
 That's as bad if not worse in my book.
 Other manufacturers may do the same? I have heard detrimental comments about OEM Metzelers on BMWs when the same retail tyre gets rave reviews.
 It will be interesting to hear what feedback there is on the ZH2 Pirellis. Pirelli own Metzeler BTW.
 It wouldn't surprise me if they were all at it. Margins are tight and the bean counters count beans.