Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NEW Dave Moss z900 Tuning Video  (Read 9672 times)

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Wiltshire
Re: NEW Dave Moss z900 Tuning Video
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 10:09:49 PM
A question for anyone that knows. It that sort of gets shown in the video - the wear line/chicken strip on the guys back tyre. After the second test run, the line is straight rather than more wavy. Given that hes on stock suspension, the only adjustment available that could make this difference is rebound but DM doesnt say what he did. Is it slowing down rebound or speeding it up to achieve better wear on the edge? Sorry, I dont know if thats the best way to word it, watch the video again and look at the comparison after the second test run and youll see what I mean. I ask as I took my bike out for about an hour today and while the line isnt bad, Im wondering if another click in whichever direction is needed would improve it.

John, started watching a couple of the videos you mentioned. Ended up skipping the first couple as it was really basic, will watch more later :028:
Motorcyclist - noun (moh-ter-sahy-klist)
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Bike: 2017 z900
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 10:41:45 PM
*Originally Posted by RobZ900 [+]
A question for anyone that knows. It that sort of gets shown in the video - the wear line/chicken strip on the guys back tyre. After the second test run, the line is straight rather than more wavy. Given that hes on stock suspension, the only adjustment available that could make this difference is rebound but DM doesnt say what he did. Is it slowing down rebound or speeding it up to achieve better wear on the edge? Sorry, I dont know if thats the best way to word it, watch the video again and look at the comparison after the second test run and youll see what I mean. I ask as I took my bike out for about an hour today and while the line isnt bad, Im wondering if another click in whichever direction is needed would improve it.

John, started watching a couple of the videos you mentioned. Ended up skipping the first couple as it was really basic, will watch more later :028:

You need to pay the subscription to find out.
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 10:46:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
You need to pay the subscription to find out.

Lol, umm no.
: a person willing to take a container full of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot, moving engine and then put the whole lot between their legs!

Offline zed9

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Topic Author (OP)
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 11:07:02 PM

Yeah but. He still has the horrid d214. Mine were worn to the edges (no chicken strips) on my very first ride and I hadn't even been riding it hard being my first ride on an unfamiliar bike.
After throwing out  the d214 with about 1500 miles on them after several slips I bought the Conti RA3. On the same roads and riding much harder I still have small chicken strips.
It's either the profile of the d214, maybe flatter, or the fact that they slip and creep towards the edge more readily. I don't know which.
Either way I have sworn off Dunlops forever.

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 11:24:27 PM
*Originally Posted by zed9 [+]
Yeah but. He still has the horrid d214. Mine were worn to the edges (no chicken strips) on my very first ride and I hadn't even been riding it hard being my first ride on an unfamiliar bike.
After throwing out  the d214 with about 1500 miles on them after several slips I bought the Conti RA3. On the same roads and riding much harder I still have small chicken strips.
It's either the profile of the d214, maybe flatter, or the fact that they slip and creep towards the edge more readily. I don't know which.
Either way I have sworn off Dunlops forever.

Yeah I found similar. On the stock tyres, I was getting right out to the edge and wasnt even riding aggressively. Worth noting is that the Z is my first bike after a 10 year break from bikes, so I was getting used to riding again. Since then, obviously Ive become more comfortable on a bike again but after fitting the road 5s, I never get right to the edge and I ride the bike harder now than I used to. Just curious with the whole suspension setup if my rebound needs a click either way to smooth out the wear at the inner edge of the chicken strip, but dont know which way it would need to go to reduce the wavy effect. As above, its barely wavy, but wondering if another click would smooth it out more.

Offline Cazzy_R

• Z900 God
  • Town / City: Merseyside/W Lancs.
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2020, 12:06:26 AM
FFS just turn the knob. If you don't like it or your chicken strips are still wonky turn it back!
Tighten it 'til it strips then back it off half a turn.

Online 3alfa3

• Z900 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 Z900
  • Town / City: Zagreb
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2020, 12:22:37 AM
A question for anyone that knows. It that sort of gets shown in the video - the wear line/chicken strip on the guys back tyre. After the second test run, the line is straight rather than more wavy. Given that hes on stock suspension, the only adjustment available that could make this difference is rebound but DM doesnt say what he did. Is it slowing down rebound or speeding it up

Slowing down

Online Frontline

• Forum Supporter
  • Z900 God
  • Bike: 2018 Z900 ABS
  • Town / City: Florida
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:31 AM
Am I doing it right???

SAVE OUR RACECARS! - Support the RPM Act - SEMA.ORG/RPM

Offline RobZ900

• Z900 God
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2020, 01:47:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Cazzy_R [+]
FFS just turn the knob. If you don't like it or your chicken strips are still wonky turn it back!

That was my intention if nobody knew the answer, but knowing the answer takes the guess work out of it.

*Originally Posted by 3alfa3 [+]
Slowing down

*Originally Posted by Frontline [+]
Am I doing it right???

Looks spot on to me :008:

Offline JohnCW

• Ex Member - Moved On
  • Z900 Pro
Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 02:08:20 AM
A question for anyone that knows. It that sort of gets shown in the video - the wear line/chicken strip on the guys back tyre. After the second test run, the line is straight rather than more wavy. Given that hes on stock suspension, the only adjustment available that could make this difference is rebound but DM doesnt say what he did. Is it slowing down rebound or speeding it up to achieve better wear on the edge?

My thought for what they are worth, at the 4:40 point of the video where a before and after shot is shown side by side.  The after shot shows a smaller width more defined chicken strip.

This could be due to no more than the guy becoming more comfortable with the track, taking the corners consistently at a higher speed and greater lean angle.  This creates a more defined wear pattern rather than the previous one where the tire is just lightly venturing into the outer edges (giving that feathered edge effect).  The rider seemed unsure if adjustments had made any difference.

Alternatively, the looser rear suspension may be giving the rider more confidence as the bike will corner with less effort, and again increased corner speed, and consistent increased lean angle creating the more defined wear pattern.

The greater confidence from a 'looser' suspension could be due to either less rebound OR compressing damping.  With a single adjuster on the rear shock, any adjustment made affects BOTH rebound and slow speed compressing damping.  I often see people saying you can't adjust compression damping on a single adjuster shock.  This is incorrect.  When some turns the knob incorrectly called a 'rebound adjuster' they are changing both rebound and compression damping.  It should be correctly called a 'combination rebound/compression' adjuster.  Oil flows both ways through the internal bleed hole that is being opened/closed by the 'rebound' adjuster.  So they will actually not know if any changed handling characteristic was due to the change in rebound or compression.  It's my experience that compression damping has a greater impact on a bikes ability to turn than rebound damping.   Excessive compression damping will make a bike feel very stable in a straight line, may even give a slightly smoother ride (more control of the spring compressing), but overdone can quickly make it heavy and hard to change direction.

The only suspension tuner other than DM that I've ever seen refer to tie wear as a means to determine a possible suspension setting is actually in the Traxxion Dynamics video series.  He discusses the edge of a rear tire being torn up due to excessively slow rebound.  This reduces traction as the tire can't quickly compress down onto the track surface under hard acceleration exiting the corner, so the tire excessively spins up.  Obviously this is talking about high HP bikes and VERY aggressive riding.  That makes perfect sense to me. Other than that, I remain VERY skeptical of DM being seemingly the only person in the world to have the unique skill to determine suspension setup by reading tire wear patterns.   Any article I've read by other authors making these same claims, always attributed back to one person (no prize for guessing who).
Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:16:09 AM by JohnCW