Z900

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chinese Steering damper installation  (Read 1067 times)

Offline TrueNDiary

• Z900 Member
  • Topic Author (OP)
Re: Chinese Steering damper installation
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:45:47 AM
*Originally Posted by BGE541 [+]
Thatís an optional mount, mine had an extra as well. See which one provides the best angle for the damper.

*Originally Posted by MZ900 [+]
Those bigger bolts goes to nadle bar clamp, with 2 similiar spacers into
Rest 2 bolts and spacers supposed to fix the bracket to the gas tank
Rubber ring i didnt use it, i guess it should be under the damper

Disassmeble the bike and start assembling, you will find for sure whats goes there

Thanks guys!
Iíve managed to install using the second provided mount.
Had to make a cut to the fairing that cover the key ignition tho..

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
  • Bike: Z900
  • Town / City: Chesapeake
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 04:58:13 PM
Yep took mine out last night, started on almost the softest setting and felt more stable on rough roads at higher speeds.

Also measured sag and adjusted to factory suspension which helped balance the bike out and make for a better ride.

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
  • "Crazy like a beaver I am!"
  • Bike: 2017 Z900
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 11:59:44 PM
It's funny, I've had so many people ask me why I installed a damper cause "the bike doesn't need it" but I 100% agree it adds so much more stabilization in a world where all the roads are in terrible shape (or at least in Toronto, Canada lol), excessive high winds (which have been weirdly getting worse), etc.

One suggestion I'd make though (when your budget allows) is replace the Chinese damper and the clamp that holds it with a reputable one. I find the aluminum mount kit is pretty rock solid (although I may swap the bolts too for something local) but when it gets into any of the moving parts or those requiring specific calibration to work properly I didn't want to trust my safety to a $100 replica of a normally $400-$500 accessory (feels like something may be getting skipped in the engineering/manufacturing process with the no-name dampers 🤔).

I setup a hybrid of the Chinese mounting kit with a Hyperpro RSC damper and a genuine Hyperpro tube clamp (pics below). Out the door total cost was about $500 CAD but I have complete faith in the ball joints and the damper not failing (I did a fair bit of research prior to adding this and heard some horror stories about the ball joints falling out of the cheap dampers 🤯).

Just my 2 cents but hopefully it's useful!

Safe riding everyone, cheers!

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 12:51:31 AM
That clamp looks very solid I will def upgrade when the time comes but gonna wear out these tires and go with some Q4s... I went up two clicks before todayís ride and itís even better. I have one straight in the middle of no where thatís about 5 mi straight and flat but rougher asphalt it really helps with stability for top of gear shifts and sustained high speeds with side winds. I was looking at the Ohlins Ninja replacement.

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:43 AM
That clamp looks very solid I will def upgrade when the time comes but gonna wear out these tires and go with some Q4s... I went up two clicks before todayís ride and itís even better. I have one straight in the middle of no where thatís about 5 mi straight and flat but rougher asphalt it really helps with stability for top of gear shifts and sustained high speeds with side winds. I was looking at the Ohlins Ninja replacement.

Right on 👍 gotta look at new tires myself soon 😁

The ohlins replacement is a good option too cause it removes the need for the additional clamp, only thing to keep in mind is the one for the ninja only has a 65mm stroke and the Z900 needs a 75mm to be able to turn the steering to full stop on both sides.

Cheers!

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 01:15:17 AM
Does the ZX10R have a longer stroke? Was looking at one of those. Now saving for new sprockets and chain gonna try 17/41 I feel like I need a 7th gear sometimes!!!

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 01:31:32 AM
Does the ZX10R have a longer stroke? Was looking at one of those. Now saving for new sprockets and chain gonna try 17/41 I feel like I need a 7th gear sometimes!!!

Good question, not 100% sure..... Past years of working in the industry tells me it's probably still 65mm (largely due to the turning radius of sportbikes being tight) that said I believe if you order a universal Ohlins you can specify the stroke length.

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 01:50:33 AM
Iíd be interested to know the actual difference between the one you have and the Chinese one that comes with the kit... visually they are identical and I donít want to drop $250 on something that shows no measure able  difference in strength or reliability...

On a side not some of the BMW stabilizers are 75mm and look like they will fit.

Offline Mikerz900

• Z900 Member
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 02:10:13 AM
Iíd be interested to know the actual difference between the one you have and the Chinese one that comes with the kit... visually they are identical and I donít want to drop $250 on something that shows no measure able  difference in strength or reliability...

On a side not some of the BMW stabilizers are 75mm and look like they will fit.

Check out the Hyperpro or Ohlins websites, they give the full rundown of what goes into the R&D of their dampers. It's a pretty safe bet the same level of work isn't going into one that's a third of the price. I think if you check on YouTube there's a few videos getting into the nitty gritty of how dampers work (this one isn't bad Other thing to be mindful of is that the ones from reputable companies have to meet certain safety and manufacturing certifications/standards, the ones from eBay, AliExpress... Etc aren't held accountable if they start leaking fluid or fail.

Then again even if it fails but the bike is still fine, you shouldn't have any trouble riding, it's not like it's the motor failing or something.

Just a few things to consider!

Offline BGE541

• Z900 Member
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 03:31:06 AM
All good points, yes went on each manufacturer website to read up on production location and standards... I think Iíll save for the hyper pro but for now Iíll run the Chinese until it blows/gives up whatever. Itís interesting that the Chinese one I bought has all the same build standards (design wise) stated by Hyperpro and I canít imagine the built characteristics being that different as a damper is a very simple concept (but as you said materials and assembly are in question).

Also did LED H7s and LED T10 and really like the look and no obnoxious glare or wild beam angles!